Started on: 05-26-2014 11:02 PM
Replies: 14 (858 views)
Last post by: LFiero67 on 05-28-2014 10:09 PM
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does he have any build threads . I done some searching and just not finding any thing.

Just wanted to learn more bout Turbo 3800.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you need to know? Any specific question?
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been kicking a new swap around and im looking at options and don't know much about the 3800 turbos and streetabilty for a D/D..

Kinda like a ls4 auto---or the 3800 sc auto.

but was looking at what kinda Hp/Tourk could be achieve,but wasn't sure about the turbos..I know I can achieve better numbers with the turbo over the supercharged,but at any cost as a D/D,and how much more cash?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

Been kicking a new swap around and im looking at options and don't know much about the 3800 turbos and streetabilty for a D/D..

but was looking at what kinda Hp/Tourk could be achieve,but wasn't sure about the turbos..I know I can achieve better numbers with the turbo over the supercharged,but at any cost as a D/D,and how much more cash?

It could be relativity the same cost as the SC depending on what turbo you use. You really just have to research and catch some deals.

Drivability should be the same or better as the SC. Set a budget and HP level and go from there.

You can realistically achieve 350HP-600HP with a Turbo but the SC tops out around 380HP.

The HP level will determine how big of a turbo you need and if a CAM is warranted along with other supporting mods & upgraded transmission.

You must decide where you want to mount the turbo and what intake you are going to use.

IMO, the rear mounted turbo is the easiest as you just need to buy the Turbo Adapter flange off ebay.

Other than that you will have to come up with a custom turbo headers solution as there is NO off the shelf product you can buy.

The rest is normal 3800 SC stuff and universal Turbo plug and play stuff.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO, LS4 would be the ideal daily driver b/c of the cylinder deactivation. You should also consider the LSJ / 2.0L Ecotec Turbo. This engine makes a ton of TQ and gets great fuel economy (which is important when you have a tiny gas tank...) The most important thing is to figure out exactly what you want the car to be. Do you want just a D/D, or a 1/4 mile terror, or a twist track terror, dyno queen, show car, all of the above? The "old timers" on this forum know the best / most economical / least painful DIY, etc... way to get-r-done. I wish I would have known about this forum in 2005 to ask the questions you are asking, it would have saved me tens of thousands of dollars and years of time.

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 05-27-2014).]

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The LSJ Ecotec is supercharged.
The LNF Ecotec is turbocharged.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Turbos will outdo superchargers in torque and horsepower. They are fairly cheap to get into... price depends on many th8ngs and you will pay for big power and big brand names under the hood.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know any thing about the ecotec...but that seems pretty cool

I would be using the car as my DD and wont be planning to race her,but would like to romp down on it from time to time
realy like to give my buddys stock C6 a surprise

The trunk can go or stay I don't care.

Would like to go auto and have to keep AC...I like the clean minimalist approach of installs

400 rwhp or up would be my goal.

I am good with oldschool SBC,but have no experience with SC/turbo..

I can do some fab work but would have to farm out as much as I can.And have no ideal of fine tuning the pcm so would have to have that done for me.
I know it wont be cheap,but that's why I was looking for some more resource materials to learn more about the turbos
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know any thing about the ecotec...but that seems pretty cool

I would be using the car as my DD and wont be planning to race her,but would like to romp down on it from time to time
realy like to give my buddys stock C6 a surprise

The trunk can go or stay I don't care.

Would like to go auto and have to keep AC...I like the clean minimalist approach of installs

400 rwhp or up would be my goal.

I am good with oldschool SBC,but have no experience with SC/turbo..

I can do some fab work but would have to farm out as much as I can.And have no ideal of fine tuning the pcm so would have to have that done for me.
I know it wont be cheap,but that's why I was looking for some more resource materials to learn more about the turbos

Cheap is relative to your pocket book.

400hp can be achieved with almost stock SC everything and decent medium sized turbo.

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few questions - What's your guy's thoughts on using a 3800 NA with a turbo? Will the motor hold up if you did not get too wild? Is 350 HP possible and still be relatively dependable? Curious because low mileage 3800 NAs around here are dirt cheap and plentiful where as the 3800 SC are hard to come by in any decent condition. Thanks in advance.
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I have a few questions - What's your guy's thoughts on using a 3800 NA with a turbo? Will the motor hold up if you did not get too wild? Is 350 HP possible and still be relatively dependable? Curious because low mileage 3800 NAs around here are dirt cheap and plentiful where as the 3800 SC are hard to come by in any decent condition. Thanks in advance.

From my understanding that would be a straight up no. I had a N/A in my 2001 Monte Pace Car and I did some research. Components are different as in beefed up and a regular N/A engine would just not last long under boost.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Nothing wrong with using a NA 3800 for a turbo swap with only wanting to get 350 HP out of it. Recommend using the L-36 if going that route. L-26 can be uses but has been proven to be less durable but I think at 350 HP level it would not be a issue.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Nothing wrong with using a NA 3800 for a turbo swap with only wanting to get 350 HP out of it. Recommend using the L-36 if going that route. L-26 can be uses but has been proven to be less durable but I think at 350 HP level it would not be a issue.

Do you know why the L26 is less durable than the L36, even though it is newer? I'm curious.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
L26 has weaker rods. Lots of failures even on supercharged setups. I would run l67, or l36 rods over the l32 or l26 rods any day.

Running a L36 in my turbo setup. I've pushed it pretty hard. It's not "recommended" for a high Hp turbo setup, but it works for me so far.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock