Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What is the fastest production made pontiac? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is the fastest production made pontiac? by davylong86
Started on: 05-22-2014 10:29 PM
Replies: 44 (6914 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-27-2014 01:04 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two fastest cars I owned personally...and it was a close tie...was a 72 TransAm 455HD (not HO) that was originally a Michigan dealers dragstrip car, and a 63 Valiant convertible i put a 426 Hemi dual 4bbl & 727 combo in.
IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rogergarrison

49601 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by davylong86:

Yea, I cant figure that one out.The GN was the fastest American made car for a few years running.

The only thing that makes sense to me it was not the same engine in the Buick, but a Pontiac version of it, and they just used the Buicks turbo system on it.

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The only thing that makes sense to me it was not the same engine in the Buick, but a Pontiac version of it, and they just used the Buicks turbo system on it.

The Pontiac version of the GN engine used later model 3800 series heads in order to fit the Trans Am engine comparment. According to magazines of the day the Pontiac version had a superior head design than the one used by Buick. Pontiac's factory rating of 250 horspower was actually over 300. While I drove both the GN, and Turbo Trans Am new, I never did see them race side by side. I do remember beating a pretty strong 455 4-speed 70 GTO with my 86 Turbo Buick demo at the drags. My car still had the window sticker on it at the time. The Turbo T/A's seemed very quick too. We only got two so I was not able to drive one as a demo. I did get to show it to the customer that ended up buying both T/A's. I remember seeing his eyes go wide open when the boost hit. I knew i had the sale right then.......

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 05-26-2014).]

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Quote:

Back in the 60's they didn't do flat out test for top speed and advertise it because of Insurance going through the roof any time the speed showed over 100 mph.

1969 RAIII 400 Hiden Pontiac Spec chart for GTO and Judge
Performance figures (with 4 spd)
Power 365.5 bhp / 272 KW @ 5100 rpm (366 advertised)
Torque 603 Nm / 445 ft lbs @ 3600 rpm
BHP/Liter 56 bhp / liter
Power to weight 0.26 bhp / kg
Top Speed 200 km/h / 124 mph
0-60 mph 6.5 s
((( Note posted RAIV listed Top Speed at 124 for insurance when it would do over 130 easy)))

That 1969 engine put out something like 310 bhp and 375 TQ net.

Here are the figures from my daily driver Solstice (I admit to it being slightly warmed over):

350 bhp, 375 TQ,
BHP/Liter 175 bhp / liter
Power to weight 0.26 bhp / kg
Top Speed 155 mph
0-60 mph 4.8 s
1/4 = 12.99

And the modern Pontiac also went around corners very well indeed. Too bad they never had an engine like that to stick in the 88 Fieros!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

The Pontiac version of the GN engine used later model 3800 series heads in order to fit the Trans Am engine comparment. According to magazines of the day the Pontiac version had a superior head design than the one used by Buick. Pontiac's factory rating of 250 horspower was actually over 300. While I drove both the GN, and Turbo Trans Am new, I never did see them race side by side. I do remember beating a pretty strong 455 4-speed 70 GTO with my 86 Turbo Buick demo at the drags. My car still had the window sticker on it at the time. The Turbo T/A's seemed very quick too. We only got two so I was not able to drive one as a demo. I did get to show it to the customer that ended up buying both T/A's. I remember seeing his eyes go wide open when the boost hit. I knew i had the sale right then.......

That still dont explain (if Pontiac was superior) why the Buicks were faster than the TAs. Like mentioned already, BGN was the fastest production street US car at that time...why not the lighter TA instead.....? Was my own experience just a coincidence that the Buicks stomped our TAs? We had them when both were relatively new 1-2 years old. After getting beat too many times street racing in my TA over a few months, I sold it. While I know my 4bbl 455 TA was modified all thru, it would totally kill my turbo one...like racing a Corvette and a Cavalier.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock