Plastic gas tank by Csjag
Started on: 05-21-2014 08:22 AM
Replies: 3 (313 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 05-21-2014 09:25 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of newer cars have plastic gas tanks. Does anyone know if it would be feasible to make a Fiero plastic gas tank? It would end concerns over rusty tanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doubt it will happen....

Someone was making them out of Al. I think. So, you could have a shop make you one out of stainless or other material.
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if any made it to production but I have talked to a couple of engineers that worked for Olds and they remember working on one for the Fiero. My brother worked in an area where he saw a lot of pre-production parts and he remembers seeing a plastic tank. When I first heard people for Olds talking about it I just brushed it off. I couldn't understand why Olds would be developing parts for a Pontiac. I later learned that Olds did a lot of plastic work for all the other divisions.

Since the Fiero tank is different then any other tank you are going to find it hard to make something else work. Unless you go to some type of fuel cell.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently had a conversation with a 'plastics guy' that I have known for decades about a tank for a Fiero. Rotational molding would be the best option, i5 would not be inexpensive due to the internal baffling (doable), but the anti-surge and vent box at the fill point would be problematic.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock