Sail Panels in Safety Glass...tell me why this would not work by TXOPIE
Started on: 05-19-2014 01:12 PM
Replies: 20 (584 views)
Last post by: fast40driver on 05-24-2014 01:08 AM
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK everyone....thinking about taking a set of factory perfect sail panels and seeing if I could have molds made out of them.
And then see if a glass company could make them out of safety glass.
Let me know your thoughts!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not enough demand for GT sail panels to make any profit from the project for any manufacturer.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cost and weight of making them out of safety glass would be not worth the trouble, I think.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I will contact Richard at Pro-source Glass and see what he has to say about it.
I honestly don't think the weight will be a problem.
I personally will be needing a good supply of sail panels with my new endeavor...and I am not completely happy with the current aftermarket options.
Please feel free to continue to comment and leave thoughts.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The curved edge on the front will likely be the issue. Its radius is too tight.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could probably find a way around the curved front edge by using a piece of plastic there. But other than that I think it's a good idea. Safety glass would be a lot easier to do than tempered glass.
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not even consider it there is enough trouble just trying to keep the ones on the car using two sided tape.

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom\1986 turbo GT
Founder of Mason Dixon Fiero Owners Group
NYFOC Member

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For all the trouble, why not just make a very high quality plastic replacement? Seems all the current ones available have their flaws. As one that may need a pair in the future it would be great knowing I could purchase a pair that have fit and finish exactly as stock, no issues.

Edit: interesting post here, https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071955.html

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 05-19-2014).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

OK everyone..
Let me know your thoughts!

I say do it......

You already know there want be a huge demand,and will be critiqued by all the negative nancys.

Other venders on here create low demand items . They know there not gonna strike it rich(most don't even break even).

And personaly the more options for us the better.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have considered making my hybrid sail windows out of safety glass. to hold them in I would steal a little trick from church windows using a leaded tin channel to go around the glass and have studs on the backside to just bolt the darn things on with. Forget the tape. Plus using the lead/tin channel stained glass window the seam in the channel can be sanded smooth after soldering and then painted satin black to match the rest of the trim. Mix that with my hybrid setup and it will look nice.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-20-2014).]

FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

I have considered making my hybrid sail windows out of safety glass. to hold them in I would steal a little trick from church windows using a leaded tin channel to go around the glass and have studs on the backside to just bolt the darn things on with. Forget the tape. Plus using the lead/tin channel stained glass window the seam in the channel can be sanded smooth after soldering and then painted satin black to match the rest of the trim. Mix that with my hybrid setup and it will look nice.

Dow Corning 995 Structural Silicone Sealant. We use this stuff to [basically] glue the glass on the aluminum frames that are installed in commercial construction. It isn't coming off.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Dow Corning 995 Structural Silicone Sealant. We use this stuff to [basically] glue the glass on the aluminum frames that are installed in commercial construction. It isn't coming off.

Or just use windshield installation adhesive (the stuff used on new cars).

I vote for properly designed sail panels, but not in glass.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Or just use windshield installation adhesive (the stuff used on new cars).

I was going to say this... windshields are glued on and I can't remember one ever flying off due to a failed adhesive.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originals. Hoping pokey or someone gets those ready.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:
I say do it......

You already know there want be a huge demand,and will be critiqued by all the negative nancys.

Other venders on here create low demand items . They know there not gonna strike it rich(most don't even break even).

And personaly the more options for us the better.

I just love these threads.

Topic "I want to do blah... tell me why this would not work"

Replies that are on topic: "I think it won't work because blah blah blah"

Replies that are not so on topic: "Anyone who disagrees with you is a hater. Don't listen to the haters. They don't know what they talkin' bout. Haters."

Then people lose their tempers, and throw negative ratings around like they don't mean anything, simply because they lose their temper over some petty disagreement.

For TXOPIE, if you're talking about only the notchback sails, then it might be doable at a reasonable cost, and you might get a few more buyers. If you're talking about the fastback panels, then I think the production cost and weight gain over the plexi panels, will be prohibitive.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I was going to say this... windshields are glued on and I can't remember one ever flying off due to a failed adhesive.

MOSTLY true fact. However, Mercedes SLs (only) do have a problem with them working loose, in as little as 3-5 years. I found out when I wanted to replace a windshield in one of mine that had some pits and leaks. The Safelite guy just barely pushed the old one out with one hand from outside the car. It litterally fell out in his other hand all in one piece. He told me they recommend removing and reinstalling them every so many years as its a common issue. I guess it might be due to cowl shake breaking the drier seal when the car (convertible) flexes over bumps.

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

MOSTLY true fact. However, Mercedes SLs (only) do have a problem with them working loose, in as little as 3-5 years. I found out when I wanted to replace a windshield in one of mine that had some pits and leaks. The Safelite guy just barely pushed the old one out with one hand from outside the car. It litterally fell out in his other hand all in one piece. He told me they recommend removing and reinstalling them every so many years as its a common issue. I guess it might be due to cowl shake breaking the drier seal when the car (convertible) flexes over bumps.

Turbo Regals and GNs are notorious for twisting the rear window loose but I would think sail panels would stay. The 84 notchy panels are glass so I don't see weight being an issue even with the fastback size but the tooling costs and low volume would probably make they too expensive for most people.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Turbo Regals and GNs are notorious for twisting the rear window loose but I would think sail panels would stay. The 84 notchy panels are glass so I don't see weight being an issue even with the fastback size but the tooling costs and low volume would probably make they too expensive for most people.

I don't think the 84 notchie panels are safety glass though, are they? I think safety glass will be a little thicker, and has a layer of material on each side to keep the glass contained when it does shatter.

And why did GM switch away from glass in the notchies exactly? I'm sure they had a good reason, even if that reason was only cost.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am willing to bet they switched away because they saved money...
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think a better investment would be to pick up where others have left off. I think Pokey was almost there when he ran out of funds...or whatever the roadblock was he hit. I'd contact him and see if he's willing to sell what he has. Why start from scratch.
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Molds for glass are made from steel, highly polished - has to be to withstand the heat of semi-molten glass. Last time I had a custom glass windshield made, for a boat, cost was right around $10,000 even. That was 12 years ago. Be great if it worked out, but I too think that a well-executed plastic would be better.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock