Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Tips to prevent bugs from sticking to the front?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tips to prevent bugs from sticking to the front? by 2.5
Started on: 05-16-2014 04:56 PM
Replies: 20 (3192 views)
Last post by: jim94 on 05-20-2014 11:49 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you use?

I road trip some, and go to some shows hundreds of miles away, sometimes driving summer evenings. I use "bug off" or "bugs b gone" to remove them. But I was thinking is there a really slick wax or something I can use before the trip to help protect even better?
Saw this but it is for airplanes, not sure if its safe or overkill...

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/4943

The other alternative is a bra, but with black paint I'm more concerned with the bra scratching too. Any tips? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use frequent coats of Malms pure carnuba wax. You can't buy it in the store, only by phone or the web. It's the best wax I have ever used. Not only will it make the bugs easier to get off, repeated use will make your paint look show quality.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go get that thing detailed and coated with opti coat or cquartz finest, the bugs just wipe off.
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just swerve around them
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that a coating of PAM will help. Never tried it, however.
If nothing else, it will make your car smell like biscuits.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-17-2014).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to use a film that I applied to the car when I had an open trailer. Took a Florida to Osage Beach Missouri trip and the car was perfectly clean.
The film is a normaly used as a temporary glass covering when painting a building. Left no marks. Comes on a roll, was fairly cheap.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I was going to suggest trying PAM too... Just hose it off when you get there.

PAM is amazing. I heard about a football player spraying the bottom of his jersey with it - the opposing players couldn't get a hold of him.

Haven't used it for "bug spray" but I spray the entire underside of my mower and let it "dry" - and grass won't stick under there (unless it's really heavy and wet).

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest method for removing the bugs is automotive clay. Use it with some spray detailer and you're good to go in 5 minutes.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that here in Florida Pam will damage the paint in the summer sun
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive heard of PAM too, never heard of it damaging paint though. One thing I did use is a spray can of treatment you can only buy at a Harley Davidson Bike store (or maybe online). Its like a window cleaner, even save for motorcycle windshields and paint. You spray it on and bugs melt off. It leaves a slight film thats not greasy and doesnt show, that pretty much prevents bugs from sticking again for a few days. You just spray it on, let it set a few minutes and wipe it off like detail wax.

http://www.harley-davidson....er-pa-17-93600022--1

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-17-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Sure, but then you've got Don (maryjane) following you down the highway.
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PAM cooking spray does work, I have used it for this purpose in the past. I've never experienced any negative consequences with the paint, but I've never left it on the car more than 48hrs. Spay a generous coating on the front facing surfaces (don't forget the side view mirrors and especially the antenna) and when you get to your destination the bug mix will rinse off very easily.

PAM will also work to keep burnt rubber from sticking to your wheel wells or rear quarter panels if you're going to the drag strip or want to do some heavy burnouts. The tire flakes will wash right off.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A rag moistened with Kerosene, applied but not wiped will prevent bugs from hard sticking to the facia. Kerosene will not hurt the finish and wipes off easily.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plexus plastic cleaner is what I used on my motorcycle windshield. The stuff worked great but so does pledge but I don't know if I would use pledge on my paint because it has too much silicone.
RJS525

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RJS525Click Here to visit RJS525's HomePageSend a Private Message to RJS525Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried this? I haven't used it, but thought it looked interesting.

3M paint defender spray that is supposed to last 1 year. Basically a spray on clear bra that can be removed.

Installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4

Removal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkT12MvuuRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found another one made for car paint...

http://www.prowax.com/P-Ser...-10-P_Bug_Guard.html

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

"A clear liquid that, once applied to the front of your vehicle, dries completely to form a temporary, protective coating. Helps prevent paint damage from bug kill, insect residue, road contaminants and rock chips. Bug Guardâ„¢ is a biodegradable liquid that is safe and easy to use. Simply spray on surface and allow to dry. That's it! Bugs and contaminants stick to coating, not your finish. Great for transporting show cars as well as high traffic trucks, sport utilities, vans, motorcycles, rental cars, fleet vehicles, dealer demos, commercial vehicles, truckers, buses, police cars, fire engines, ambulances, farm equipment and more. Non-flammable, non-toxic and non-corrosive. "

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-19-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
I think I'm going to try the bug guard and see how it goes this summer.
HarryT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryTSend a Private Message to HarryTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a liberal amount of wax on the front but don't wipe it off until you reach your destination.
Harry
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover is what I grew up with.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

Originally posted by RJS525:

Has anyone tried this? I haven't used it, but thought it looked interesting.

3M paint defender spray that is supposed to last 1 year. Basically a spray on clear bra that can be removed.

Installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4

Removal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkT12MvuuRA

Yes. And its impossible to get off.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have rode my motorcycle from Jacksonville FL to Niagara falls and I cleaned the bugs off with wd-40. Worked well and my paint still looks good. Good for chrome too. I did the trip without a windshield and drove thru miles of hats in n.y.state
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock