Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  1st Fiero made on the move to Pontiac-Oakland Museum for "Fiero day" this weekend

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1st Fiero made on the move to Pontiac-Oakland Museum for "Fiero day" this weekend by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 05-15-2014 07:07 PM
Replies: 29 (1023 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 05-20-2014 08:48 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Copied from http://www.pontiacdailylead...WS/140519581/-1/news

By Jacob Misener Posted May. 15, 2014 @ 10:49 am
Pontiac, Ill.

Despite quickly falling into disfavor among many Americans in the mid-to-late 1980s, some three-plus decades later, the Pontiac Fiero continues to draw the attention of car enthusiasts from both the United States and the world abroad.

“The car still has a following,” said Tim Dye of the Pontiac-Oakland Museum. “We actually had some Germans in here who thought the Fiero was the best engineered American car there ever was. You think about Germans and their engineering and for them to say that … (it was) because how it was made was so unique, that’s why they thought that.”

This Saturday, Dye and the museum will celebrate Fiero Day. They are inviting anyone who owns a Fiero or is a Fiero enthusiast to visit that day. The Pontiac-based museum features an array of Fiero memorabilia of its own, including special luggage sold by Pontiac, old advertisements and an extremely rare chassis.

The chassis on the wall never received a VIN number, as virtually every vehicle does once its built, because it was built specifically for research purposes. When Dye came across it, it was sitting in a junkyard in Ohio. Today, it is mounted on a wall near the back of the museum as part of the Fiero exhibit next to the body panels themselves, which are simply bolted onto the chassis.

“It got a bad rep because initially there were some problems with engine fires,” said Dye. “They fixed that. It was somewhat underpowered. At first it was a four-cylinder, but then they fixed that and put a six in it. By the end, it was a really good car, but the damage had been done.

Introduced in 1984, the Fiero only had a lifespan of four years, and the vehicle saw few cosmetic changes. One of the most famous Fieros to ever see the road will be on display this weekend at the museum, in the form of a 1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy PPG Pace Car prototype.

“We’re going to give some tours of the shop down the street and the museum, of course,” said Dye. “We’re thinking if this goes well, we may have more things like this. GTO day, Firebird day – we’ll see how this goes.”

For more information on the event, individuals can contact the museum at 815-842-2345.

Read more: http://www.pontiacdailylead...519581#ixzz31pPeO2Cz
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, I don't have much going on Saturday, I'll just drive up there... wait, it's in Pontiac, Illinois. 340 miles away.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Address: 205 N Mill St, Pontiac, IL 61764

Nice photo's from their website http://www.pontiacoaklandmuseum.org/

Anyone local that can cover this event ? Would love to see video & pic's
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NIFE is caravaning down and hopefully meeting up with Fiero owners from throughout the midwest, should be a great time.

http://fierofocus.com/events.html and https://www.facebook.com/ev...oard_filter=upcoming

From the Museum Facebook Page:

Just a reminder for all of you Fiero fans, this Saturday May 17th is Fiero day here at the museum. If you own a Fiero, or are a Fiero enthusiast you should plan to be here as it will be a fun day. Outside there will be a special display of a 1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy PPG Pace Car Prototype. This Pontiac Fiero was car number three of three built by Pontiac Motorsports Engineering to perform pace car duties for the 1984 Indy 500. There are special tours planned and of course there will be lots of Fiero owners to visit with and cars to see. Shown here is part of our Fiero display in the museum, a must see for Fiero fans.

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 05-15-2014).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Cool, I don't have much going on Saturday, I'll just drive up there... wait, it's in Pontiac, Illinois. 340 miles away.

987 for me, I guess I better get started!
msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping to catch up to the NIFE club on their way there, and tag along.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

NIFE is caravaning down and hopefully meeting up with Fiero owners from throughout the midwest, should be a great time.

http://fierofocus.com/events.html and https://www.facebook.com/ev...oard_filter=upcoming

If you like, you can make a day out of it and attend Pontiac's first Cruise Night of the season, on the square downtown, from 5 to 8. It'll be chilly but no rain!

And to REALLY make a day out of it (and to further hijack the thread off-topic), stick around and see my friend's band "Strangers" who is playing live at Freakster's at 902 W. Culver St. in Pontiac starting at 9PM. They play the music of UFO, note-for-note accurate. They're really good! Another band follows later.

https://www.facebook.com/Strangerschicago

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really need a pic of the RPO sticker..... if someone can take a picture of it I would be grateful.... only one problem though .. does this fiero still have that sticker.... I need this its for a special project for the fifth annual Tyler Shipman Car Show ..... thanks to anyone getting this to me ....
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shute not enough headsup for this one, Please post pics on PFF
msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which fiero are you referring to?

Originally posted by Danyel:

I really need a pic of the RPO sticker..... if someone can take a picture of it I would be grateful.... only one problem though .. does this fiero still have that sticker.... I need this its for a special project for the fifth annual Tyler Shipman Car Show ..... thanks to anyone getting this to me ....
Danyel

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking forward to this for months
I really hope it warms up.
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I've been looking forward to this for months
I really hope it warms up.

Its supposed to be better weather tomorrow then it was today, but then that would be pretty easy.

yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great!

Wait...

1,350 miles...

Nah!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

Which fiero are you referring to?

If any of you come across the first fiero built....... I need a pic of the RPO sticker if it exists..
Danyel
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Yea it is a small drive from Michigan. I did a dealer trade last year with the dealer in town. Had a nice chat with lady at the dealership. I wished I was the driver, I would have stopped at the museum.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

If any of you come across the first fiero built....... I need a pic of the RPO sticker if it exists..
Danyel

I'll check my shots from the 20th annv, I'm prettty sure I have shots of that. Will post if found.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:
I'll check my shots from the 20th annv, I'm prettty sure I have shots of that. Will post if found.

You will be Danyel`s new best friend if you have it
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HAPPY FIERO DAY EVERYONE !!!!
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dittto!! Hope someone posts pic of the first one and the event.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think the 1st Fiero made will be there. If it was I would think the article would mention it. What the article does mention is that a race used Indy Pace car #3 that was converted to the PPG pace car and used for a few years before being donated to the Museum of Science and Industry and then sold to a private collector will be there. (thanks RAREW66 for bringing it out) . Should be a great time though and the museum does have some Fieros in its collection and lots of Fiero stuff.

Hopefully I am wrong and the First Fiero made will be there, but if the GM Heritage Center is bringing down a Fiero, why not the 1990 prototype ?

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 05-17-2014).]

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfred8

1719 posts
Member since Oct 2011

PFF
System Bot
msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's all of my pictures of the day.

Some from the drive. Some from the tour of the musuem and then some. And some from the event.

Fiero Day at the Pontiac Musuem

[This message has been edited by msrservices (edited 05-18-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may stop there on my wat to or return from the Dells Run. My route usually takes me up I-39.
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some from the drive. Some from the tour of the musuem and then some. And some from the event.

Nice pics, thanks.

The wife and I planned to go but I guess the car didn't. Always another time for sure, thanks again for posting your pics.

Vince
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting he pics, looks like a nice museum and workshop.
American Exotic

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting pics. I would've loved to go but too much going on. Looks like the museum is very nice and great displays. What did they have to say about the Fiero's all lined up in the garage area?
msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The dusty cars in the barns were part of a tour they brought us on. They were showing us some of the large storage garages they have and some amazing stories of some of the cars that they have acquired. The barns also held cars from private owners as well.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Some of the shots, such as Tim's oil can collection and license plates are not part of the official museum, but actually on display in the basement of the museum and not open to the general public.

They also had Fiero literature out for us in their library. Again, a very impressive collection.

The amount of work they have done and the knowledge they have there is amazing. I don't think there is anyone that knows more about the Pontiac brand than Tim. It's inspiring to see his passion for the brand, and great to see someone so dedicated in keeping the memory of it alive.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the pics! Looks like you had excellent weather.

Do you know the story on this one? Looks Indy but is black?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-19-2014).]

h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Thanks for the pics! Looks like you had excellent weather.

Do you know the story on this one? Looks Indy but is black?

We did have great weather and it was a GREAT day! Hats off to the NIFE events crew for planning this trip.
This car also caught my attention, as it had the early style vent covers. Tim Dye said it was a '85 GT, must have just had some parts
swapped around. Overall in pretty good shape.
The collection of cars those two guys have is amazing! And their hospitality really made the day. We all had a great time.

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

And to REALLY make a day out of it (and to further hijack the thread off-topic), stick around and see my friend's band "Strangers" who is playing live at Freakster's at 902 W. Culver St. in Pontiac starting at 9PM.

Even the band was good; the local Pontiac crowd was very appreciative. On a related note, one of the bartenders had a Fiero! Black '86 or '87 GT. Not what I expected to see when I pulled in there ("Whose car is that??"). Maybe we'll see a new member signed up here.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock