Started on: 05-11-2014 12:51 AM
Replies: 13 (419 views)
Last post by: Big Paul on 08-24-2015 05:09 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you are referring to what is called the, intermediate shaft. It's the one that fits between the steering rack and front fire wall? There should be a long rubber boot over it.

I have what is left of a front clip out back that I can grab pics from if you like. However, every I.S. I have ever seen has always had a surface rust to it. Something in the process (casting?) or maybe the materials used in manufacturing? IDK.

Also I think they are all the same from year to year. It's the actual steering racks that differ. Only in ratios though, otherwise they too are the same.

Replace or repair? Repair IMO. Sand blast and powder coat or plasti dip or spray paint. Most likely it's just surface rust.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic showing the rubber boot.

And a shot from inside the car. Well what would be inside the car under normal circumstances...

I honestly have never pulled one from a car that I was keeping. They all got parted. I think the shaft will collapse for removal, otherwise I think it would be a real PITA to get out and back in. Maybe some one else knows better though.

Screw the code enforcement officers! Just tell them your adding turn signal fluid.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't collapse under normal circumstances. There are however plastic shear pins that will break and collapse the intermediate shaft in case of an accident. That's one thing you want to look for if replacing yours with one from unknown origin. You want to be certain that the shaft can't collapse under moderate pressure otherwise it's a shaft that's been in an accident.

This is the only picture I have of an intermediate shaft (it's on a go cart I built where I used the shaft as an axle). The arrow point to where to look for the plastic pin that goes through the telescoping section of the shaft.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Dang. Should've replaced when I had my rack out. It wouldn't need to collapse, then. Thanks for the pics & info. I like the powder coat idea, but worry about the plastic pin and heat.

Yeah good point about the pin and heat. I don't think it would survive 375-425F* for 20 mins. Perhaps there is a source for replacement pins?

Maybe a good cleaning and a few coats of paint would have to suffice. That one in Blooze's pic looks really good. How did you get it to look so clean?

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wire wheeled it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Power coat heat likely could cause problems. This part is not made to be service so if heat does cause problem you need to find a new shaft.
Is lube in the bearing but what type, Bearing is sealed or no, etc.
Is rubber to absorb some hit by hitting bumps.
Not sure if that shaft uses plastic shear or not. (Is two versions too.) Upper column does.

If really needed, Just remove big flakes and apply whatever to convert rust.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had my intermediate shaft out and I thought there were 2 shear pins, but I could be wrong. They looked to be made of a white nylon material. I drilled them out for ease of reassembly and lubed the inner shaft portion with bearing grease. Once assembled there's no way the 2 pieces can separate just short of the frt X-member & rack pulling away from the steering column. Its basically a tube inside of a tube with plenty of slide room.

The shear pins appear to be more for rattle control and to keep the shaft from sliding apart when removing the rack, IMHO of course.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:
I've had my intermediate shaft out and I thought there were 2 shear pins, but I could be wrong. They looked to be made of a white nylon material. I drilled them out for ease of reassembly and lubed the inner shaft portion with bearing grease. Once assembled there's no way the 2 pieces can separate just short of the frt X-member & rack pulling away from the steering column. Its basically a tube inside of a tube with plenty of slide room.

The shear pins appear to be more for rattle control and to keep the shaft from sliding apart when removing the rack, IMHO of course.

I think so too... Plastic, if any, just makes two metal parts tight so can't make noise.
I didn't mean plastic IS shear parts.
Tube and Yokes for U joints are made to fail in a wreck so upper column can't be push toward driver.
Upper section and steering wheel are design to absorb impact from driver and/or from bottom end.
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Resurrecting an old thread here...so if the yokes are made to break in collision, can the shaft be welded or bolted together without defeating the safety feature?
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

masospaghetti

2477 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Double post

[This message has been edited by masospaghetti (edited 08-24-2015).]

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

Resurrecting an old thread here...so if the yokes are made to break in collision, can the shaft be welded or bolted together without defeating the safety feature?

Welding/bolting an intermediate shaft together is not a good idea. It will not be able to break as easily when in a crash and you could find the steering wheel pushed through your chest.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock