Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Chop Top Fastback owners/builders? Question about sail panels?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chop Top Fastback owners/builders? Question about sail panels? by psychosurfer
Started on: 05-10-2014 08:42 PM
Replies: 8 (508 views)
Last post by: DL10 on 05-13-2014 08:05 AM
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What did you use and how did you build your chop top fastback window (the sail panel area on a notchie)? Thanks!

Edit to add: Before you install your rear glass, how did you prep and what did you use to paint the black border?

[This message has been edited by psychosurfer (edited 05-12-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not exactly sure of the question, but I'll take a stab at it...
I'm currently in the middle of my chop on an 88GT.

The rear quarter window used in most chops is just a normal dimensioned window that is cut down and fitted to the new opening.
example Pic not mine

I myself, am just using after market windows from (kahines.com) to butcher up...
Bob

------------------
88 GT
Choptop, Vertical Door Hinges
Lowered Suspension w/ 13" Brake Disk
CarPC - WinXP Pro (GT Sport Edition)
+ a lot more.....

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

The rear quarter window used in most chops is just a normal dimensioned window that is cut down and fitted to the new opening.

Yep, what he ^^ said.

What Archie did was to cut the upper edge and slid it under the clip so the edge didn't have to be perfect.

jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just made mine and to solve the issue of the curve I made a hybrid sail window (I have a gt) using the front part of a notch back. I am doing the same thing to the Rottin Chop as well. and the hybrid notch back fastback. you can see it in my build thread how to make it. Robochop in construction zone.
psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Mine is shaped slightly different than the opening on an Archie chop. This will only slightly impact the overall shape. Would you think it is a good idea to use mar-guard Lexan? If so, what is the thickness of the factory "glass?" My thought is to make a template of the shape, transfer that to the lexan, tape over the cut line, trim slowly (to avoid heating the blade and melting my way through), sand the cut smooth, put a little tooth on the contact surface of the Lexan as well as the body and use 3M double sided tape to hold it to the car.

Your experience and expertise is appreciated!
DL10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

Thanks guys. Mine is shaped slightly different than the opening on an Archie chop. This will only slightly impact the overall shape. Would you think it is a good idea to use mar-guard Lexan? If so, what is the thickness of the factory "glass?" My thought is to make a template of the shape, transfer that to the lexan, tape over the cut line, trim slowly (to avoid heating the blade and melting my way through), sand the cut smooth, put a little tooth on the contact surface of the Lexan as well as the body and use 3M double sided tape to hold it to the car.

Your experience and expertise is appreciated!

If you're planning on making your windows from scratch you need to look at the way Rob did his. It's a really good way to make windows and get a good front edge. When I owned the GBCT I made one from scratch, I heated and rolled the front edge but the window looked to flat... After I painted the car I cut one of Chris cooks windows down. I really like the way rob made his.

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 05-11-2014).]

psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. One more question:

Before you install your rear glass, how did you prep and what did you use to paint the black border?
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I glued my back window in using the 3m glue and window etch primer. I kinda cheated with the black border and just taped out were i did not want it and spray painted in the rest. I pulled the tape while it was still wet and well it's lasted almost 3 years so far without any issues. For the sail windows I made I taped out the shape I wanted blacked out then I scuffed the lexan and painted it with plastic dye paint for plastics. it bonds to the acrylic and I was able to put the 3m tape right over it to secure the sail windows.
DL10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I made one fron scratch I just used black spray paint but when I cut down one of Chris Cooks windows I used a self etching primer from a glass shop.
http://www.dowautomotive.co...nterim/299-51669.pdf
I think it was the Betaprime 5500

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 05-13-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock