Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Very important question about Fiero muffler drainage!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Very important question about Fiero muffler drainage! by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 05-10-2014 12:55 AM
Replies: 8 (268 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-12-2014 01:03 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This question may sound "out there" but do all Fiero mufflers have a small pinhole on one end for drainage? I happened to be under my 86 GT one day and I noticed a small hole in one of the seamed end sides at the very bottom. So, I plugged it with a screw. A few days later I just happened to at my Fiero buddies house and he noticed I plugged it with a screw. He told me to take that screw out or my muffler will prematurely wear out due to water build up. Is this correct? Lastly, when the engine is idling you can feel exhaust flow coming out of that hole. Is that ok or not ok?
Thanks, Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do not screw the muffler.

Undo what you did.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-10-2014).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already did. It was only in there for a few days and that was years ago. Right now I'm chasing exhaust leaks and I'm concerned about whether or not exhaust flow is supposed to come out that hole. You can really feel it. Thanks, Kit
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I'm concerned about whether or not exhaust flow is supposed to come out that hole.

Yes, it's an old-time trick to extend the life of the muffler. The amount of exhaust that comes out the hole is negligible. Yes you can feel it, but it isn't harmful or noisy.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes leave the hole. My motorhome actually has a screw in plug in the bottom of the muffler so you can unscrew it to drain water out. All engines get condensation in them from cold air and hot engine. Any car that sets overnite spews water out the tail pipe when its started till it gets hot enough to dry it out. More rusted out mufflers and tailpipes are caused from that than from outside exposure.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interestingly enough, water is a by-product of combustion. The tailpipe opening is so far from the combustion that the exhaust cools & the water condenses in the exhaust system. As it warms up, it dries out. The little muffler hole drains water out that doesn't dry if the muffler doesn't warm up enough.
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I leave my Fiero parked on a sloped driveway in the rainy weather, the water runs down the bumper and into the trumpet exhaust. The first start up tends to have ALOT of water in the pipe.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have often wondered if a car is going to be stored for a while, if a guy should wait until the engine is cool and then fire it up for a few seconds to blow the water out?
I have also wondered about drilling a tiny hole in mufflers that do not already have a hole.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I have also wondered about drilling a tiny hole in mufflers that do not already have a hole.

Go for it.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yes, it's an old-time trick to extend the life of the muffler.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock