Plasti-Dip or Low$$ paint by notaguru
Started on: 05-08-2014 07:00 PM
Replies: 22 (861 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-26-2014 10:12 AM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just saw a really nice Plasti-Dipped Porsche (yes, a 911), and it looks great. My '88GT is mechanically ok - finally - and is about to be refinished...

Apparently Plasti-Dip will cost $400 or so, including doorjambs. The local shop claims that it's good for 2-3 years even if stored in the sun, and 4-5 years if garaged. A decent but far from show-quality paint (same color) job will be three or four times that price.

???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a personal decision you have to make yourself. Ive seen a lot of them done, some done very well and it does seem to hold up. I really dont like the look myself, I prefer paint, but then Im a professional painter.... Its handy for some stuff, like I said, like protecting chrome during the winter.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Dip isn't permanent...
If you don't like or tired of the results, just peal off and do whatever.

Dip is useful for spot fixes too. Better to protect then primer w/o hassles painting whole car or panels, especially in winter.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

gwg1995

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gwg1995Send a Private Message to gwg1995Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by gwg1995 (edited 06-12-2014).]

Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just plasti-dipped my two removable decklid panels. They were really sunfaded and looked awful. I love the way that they turned out. I think I'm going to slowly do the entire car. I'd rather have it painted, but that is a few years down the road so I will dip it for the time being.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my reply on page 2 of the plasti dipped rims thread.
Fishogs 84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fishogs 84Send a Private Message to Fishogs 84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had my '87 GT done in Black Betty with pearlizer. It looks awesome! Coupled with the blacked out theme I get looks and compliments everywhere. I can't get a pic to upload or I would have it posted here already. Doing the wife's '88 GT in Brick Red and it should be done this weekend. It takes about 1.5 gallons of each color (primer/main color) to do each car.

------------------
With A Cutting Torch and Welder ANYTHING is Possible!!
'87 GT Black Betty Plastidip!
'88 GT Brick Red Plastidip!
'87 GT Burgundy

[This message has been edited by Fishogs 84 (edited 06-11-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

Just saw a really nice Plasti-Dipped Porsche (yes, a 911), and it looks great. My '88GT is mechanically ok - finally - and is about to be refinished...

Apparently Plasti-Dip will cost $400 or so, including doorjambs. The local shop claims that it's good for 2-3 years even if stored in the sun, and 4-5 years if garaged. A decent but far from show-quality paint (same color) job will be three or four times that price.

???

Ever consider doing it yourself? You can probably do it for $350 including the gun($150-$200 for the dip product). This will allow you a lot of versatility and it is not as difficult as you may think. Check out the youtube videos by Fonzie the owner of Dip Your Car.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guy next door does them all the time with a Wagner Power Painter. Hes done several brand new Camaros.
Jack Mehoff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jack MehoffSend a Private Message to Jack MehoffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely adds a unique factor to the car. However, be prepared for it to fade and peel because it will. If you're under 30 I'd say go for it
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jack Mehoff:

...be prepared for it to fade and peel because it will. If you're under 30 I'd say go for it

Huh?
PFF
System Bot
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this.. never again. Halfway through I had second thoughts, Finished it, ran for a while (God does it get dirty QUICK.)
Peeling it off wasn't just.. peeling it off, well it was.. but if you have clear coat and think it'll be fine and peel off - it doesn't.

Still rubbing dip off of random little places a year later.
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87FieroSport:

I did this.. never again. Halfway through I had second thoughts, Finished it, ran for a while (God does it get dirty QUICK.)
Peeling it off wasn't just.. peeling it off, well it was.. but if you have clear coat and think it'll be fine and peel off - it doesn't.

Still rubbing dip off of random little places a year later.

how many coats of dip did you use? I understood that with enough coats it pulled off in big sheets..
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did mine recently with plastidip and it turned out nice.
Do it yourself for under $100 though. If you mess up, its beyond easy to fix. If you're going to get it painted then just save up for proper paint.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093384.html

GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GraterFang

1387 posts
Member since Feb 2008
And yes, it peels off easily so long as its thick enough (and not a whole lot is even needed).
mypontiac2

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mypontiac2Send a Private Message to mypontiac2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Eastwood company has their version of plastic dip, called ElastiWrap.
http://www.eastwood.com/pai...tiwrap-coatings.html
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in using some of this to hide some damaged areas on my car but the thought of a matte finish doesn't turn my crank. Has anyone used the glossifier and how glossy does it get?

DF
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dave E Bouy

1465 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Dang!!! Double post!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dave E Bouy (edited 06-24-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy who does them next door, sprays 4-5 coats on. I peeled a hood he did in less than 10 minutes. He did his own Mustang 3 years ago and it still looks the same. I use it on alloy or chrome wheels to get thru winter. Takes me maybe an hour to get it all back off of them. Ive never seen him do a gloss finish one. I use the clear on the wheels.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-25-2014).]

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out that Elasti wrap, sprays like paint, can mix it, naturally glossy, and they have tons of pearls, flakes too. I'm sold. Be going that route in a couple months....

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has no one tried implement enamel ? You can buy it at any farm store in a range of colors and it's easy to apply. I used a Wagner HVLP sprayer and it looks great.

Wish I could post a picture...Case IH red.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
dcarrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcarrdSend a Private Message to dcarrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im getting ready to go on a plasti dip rampage lol Going to dip both Fieros, my mustang and my mother's weathered Infiniti J30.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just seen the other day that Duplicolor has also got into the dip craze. I think they call it Flex Wrap or something...I already forgot.

http://www.bing.com/images/...icolor+dip&FORM=IGRE

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock