New '84 Fiero SE! 30 years ago today... by David Hambleton
Started on: 05-08-2014 12:31 PM
Replies: 18 (577 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 05-20-2014 10:02 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30 years ago today I brought my new '84 Fiero SE 4 speed home. It's still a daily driver at 364,000 kilometers (226,000 miles) except in wet salty winter conditions.
I recently replaced the dash & seats with originals from another '84 SE so it's looking pretty good! Still has original clutch & brake rotors. A/C needs fixing... & dew wipes... paint's a little thin in places...........

I wonder how many continuously licensed '84 Fieros there are still owned and used regularly by the original purchaser longer than this one?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30 years and no fires? You must be a record holder. That's awesome. I hope I can own mine that long. In 84 I wasn't even thought of yet. Lol. I've had mine since '07 so I've got a ways to go.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way to stick with it! Congrats!

I certainly cannot claim the same. My longest Fiero run was 1997-2010, going from 67K miles to 160K.

Currently I am the 4th owner of an 85 SE 2m6 with 101K miles, with the exterior repainted and restored, and preparing to start on the interior.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
226,000 miles on a single clutch? Seems very very high to me for an econo-commuter car.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Twilight Zone! 29 years ago (5-5-85) with SE V6 4-speed. Never drive it in snow. It has 110,000 miles. New paint 4 years ago.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

30 years and no fires? You must be a record holder.

Sorry! Lol! Can't make that claim!

About 11 years ago I was driving in the middle lane of a highway & smoke came pouring out of the HVAC system. I barely had time to pull over before the cabin was filled & I couldn't see. I got out expecting to watch the plastic melt & burn, but the smoke dissipated. I opened all the doors & lids, couldn't see anything amiss, tried all the systems & accessories & everything was ok. Later back home I opened up the HVAC system expecting to find ashes of leaves or whatever but the entire system was clean.

That's the only self-extinguishing car I've ever heard of! Seems that feature didn't get much press over the years...

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

226,000 miles on a single clutch? Seems very very high to me for an econo-commuter car.

There's very little city driving in that total.

The engine was replaced under warranty at 101,580 kilometers (63,118 miles) due to a cracked block in March '88.
The dealer said at the time the clutch looked new & should be kept.

The throw-out bearing seized on the shaft at 201,010 kilometers (124,901 miles) & the transmission was removed for access.
A friend was the dealer service manager at the time (Aug '97); he said he wouldn't replace the clutch if it was his, so I didn't.
He opined that if it lasted that long & looked that good it might well last longer than a typical replacement. I guess he was right.

I keep thinking that there can't be much left of it but if it keeps working ok, why not let it be?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
better man than me.. in the past 5 years ive owned about 12 fieros... pretty content with the ones I have no though.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

better man than me.. in the past 5 years ive owned about 12 fieros... pretty content with the ones I have no though.

You seem to have ADD and can't finish one? What's up with that?

Would be very disappointed if you sold off the IMSA's without results.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still has original clutch & brake rotors.

He must stop it Fred flinstone style.

Jim

(Edit, because I actually quoted the wrong person.)

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 05-13-2014).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm more impressed that he still has the original brake rotors on there!
PFF
System Bot
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an original 84 that I've owned for almost 30 years and I'm always amazed at the longevity of some of the parts on it. I think the only non original parts (excluding regular service stuff) are the clutch master cylinder, alternator, and radio. I've also replaced all the gears in the headlight motors, but the motors are still original.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My factory clutch (86 SE V6) lasted 165,000 miles. The throwout bearing locked up and took out the pressure plate and the sleeve on the transmission. The disk and flywheel still looked good. I replaced the transmission and clutch, but re-used the flywheel after having it resurfaced.

The only reliability issues I had with the car were broken alternator and slave cylinder brackets, water pump, headlight motors, worn out A/C compressor and bent clutch pedal. The original alternator is now on one of my tractors working perfectly.

I bought the car in 1995 with 80,000 on it from the original owner.

These were no less reliable than anything else GM was putting out back then.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

I've got an original 84 that I've owned for almost 30 years and I'm always amazed at the longevity of some of the parts on it. I think the only non original parts (excluding regular service stuff) are the clutch master cylinder, alternator, and radio. I've also replaced all the gears in the headlight motors, but the motors are still original.

That's cool! How many kms? Daily driver or occasional use? You didn't get the recall new engine?

I've replaced the starter, alternator, rad & heater core in addition to the things noted above.
Headlight motors have been out a few times for gears. One motor was swapped out for another used one also.
There's a local guy that does pretty well repairing the original radios; I've had four fixed.
I've driven for years with a clutch that will gradually engage even though the pedal is held to the floor. I suspect the seals in either the master or slave cylinder but it doesn't seem to get worse so it hasn't been fixed yet... I always take my foot off the clutch when stationary anyway.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 05-14-2014).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple of interior pics; pretty nice for 30 year old stuff!

Fierosmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car David

I bought my 84 in June '84,

It was my daily driver for several years, until life got in the way... ie rearing children...

so the Fiero went into storage for about 10 years. It was started regualarly to maintain lubrication, and charge the battery.

Until the price of gas in the states reached $5 /gallon. Hence its reserction, and it's been a weekend, club event, cruise vehicle.

Many upgrades since it's remurgence...

I guess its pretty low mileage at just a mere 110K

I've bought two more project cars since...

Jim

------------------
The only thing more Fun than Driving a Fiero, is Learning how to Work on one...

[This message has been edited by Fierosmith (edited 05-19-2014).]

JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love your car! I wish I could have kept my '85 SE. I had it 6 and1/2 years and always regretted trading it in. It was a keeper. It took me until last year to find another forever fiero! I love my new one the same way! Nothing like a well loved fiero! Yours looks awesome! Nice job!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierosmith:

It was my daily driver for several years, until life got in the way... ie rearing children...

I've bought two more project cars since...

Jim

I'm right with you Jim! Lol! I've had 4 kids born & in their 20s now but always used the Fiero at least for commuting.

Early in 2008 I was looking for a $2000 notchback 2.5L 5 speed in case the '84 developed a need for long term care/recuperation from some mechanical malady. I found an '88 Formula 5 speed with only 5,200 kilometers (3,230 miles) on it - showroom condition - so of course I had to have it... It's got almost 25,000 kilometers (15,500 miles) now. Looks pretty well new.

Early in 2011 I got an '86 coupe 2.5L 5 speed for $800. Lots of little cosmetic stuff to fix but structurally very solid.
It shares daily driver duty with the '84. I swapped in an '87 2.5L engine last fall - the '86 Duke had a death rattle.

Thanks for posting! Feel free to share your project cars status...
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1581 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by JJFieroFan:

I love your car! I wish I could have kept my '85 SE. I had it 6 and1/2 years and always regretted trading it in. It was a keeper. It took me until last year to find another forever fiero! I love my new one the same way! Nothing like a well loved fiero! Yours looks awesome! Nice job!

Thanks JJ! I really enjoy still driving my '84 after all those years; it's 'one of the originals'. I always wished the '84 SE could have had a 5 speed from the factory... but I have the '86 as well with that drivetrain combo so that's fun too. And of course to have an '88 Formula 5 speed rounds out the experience for me! As noted above, I got it with only 5.200 kilometers on it so it's 'like new"!

The '86:

The '88

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 05-20-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock