Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  1990 fiero. Has anyone tried building there own?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1990 fiero. Has anyone tried building there own? by OverKill
Started on: 05-03-2014 10:21 AM
Replies: 15 (652 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 05-05-2014 08:48 PM
OverKill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OverKillSend a Private Message to OverKillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just watched the video of the 1990 Fiero Mock up build and it made me wonder if anyone has tried building a Fiero like the never produced 90? I understand things like the tail lights would be a big hurdle but with the skills and resources people on this forum possess I'm surprised I haven't seen anything.

Ethan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If some one had tons of $$ you can build anything, but who would purchase a car styled after a 25 year old car at what cost?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They already built it. It is called the Camaro:
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great video though...
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool video and I notice it would have had a separate trunk lid. I wonder what happened to the mock up.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

They already built it. It is called the Camaro:

X2

and it looked better as a Camaro
OverKill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OverKillSend a Private Message to OverKillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has quite a resemblance the Camaro but still not mid engine space frame. I guess I just wish there were a few around or they would have produced them so we had more options. But I guess it only being made for 4 years is what makes our cars different not like a Camaro where there are millions out there and made for close to 50 years.

Ethan
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ethan you are not the first to ask and it all comes down to the cost as for as few that would be sold in a kit the cost would too high.

Now if cost was no object someone may be able to do a one off but I do not expect to see that very soon.

Who knows some day we may be able to print body panels on a 3D printer.

Have a few emblems from the 90's car and have on my 85, This may be as close as I will ever come to this. Even the GM car is missing its nose emblem.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
Who knows some day we may be able to print body panels on a 3D printer.

Already being done: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=urbee
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "mongrel" wasn't going to look like the 90, but it did have the back half and windshield of a 4th gen camaro bird.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-053120.html
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It probably would have looked a lot different if it made it to production, just like the new Mustang looks a lot different from some of the early spy shots and rumored changes.
PFF
System Bot
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5 years*
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not only is this a turbo / supercharged vehicle but the price is said to be cheaper due to 3d printing. Rick B

https://autos.yahoo.com/blo...acker-134329643.html
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

It probably would have looked a lot different if it made it to production, just like the new Mustang looks a lot different from some of the early spy shots and rumored changes.

No what you see is what you would have gotten. The car that we have today was pretty much set as what was going into production.

this car was nearing the end of prototyping and they were to the point of figuring out how to put it together. In other words this was not a concept car.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the GT as you see it was what would have entered production. In addition Pontiac also had the base coupe and Formula figured out also. There are some very low resolution pictures floating around of a silver base coupe and two Formulas that GM crushed around the late 20th century that were taken as they rotted in one of the big GM factory lots. The red GT prototype was also silver at one point to mimic the colors of the base and Formula models. The base and Formula models carried similar interiors and the same hood and headlight assemblies as the GT. They carried a larger belt line and a different style spoiler on the rear, in addition to the crazy amount of differences externally than the then-currently produced Fieros.

Hopefully some much better quality images of the base and Formula models will eventually surface one day. I can guess that they're probably out there somewhere and are either forgotten or being withheld for some reason. And I for one can't understand the once-secrecy these cars had in the early 2000s.

Edit: here are the 89/1990 coupe and Formula models. The base is the first car and the Formulas are the other two (Formulas having the black roofs). All three have been killed off. A lot of Buick Reatta styling can be seen in these cars.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 05-05-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what the interior looked like on the Formula

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock