Fastback grille changes? by FieroJimmy
Started on: 05-02-2014 09:48 PM
Replies: 10 (326 views)
Last post by: FieroJimmy on 05-03-2014 03:33 PM
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just going through some of my spare Fiero parts, and I noticed a difference between some GT decklid grilles. I've got a pair of early casting grilles (1/86, and 2/86 left and right) that have an articulated tab on the inner edge up near the back window (it goes under the side of the decklid when it's closed). The other two pairs I have (5 to 7/86) have the standard fixed tab with a small rubber nub on it. The articulated tab looks like a hinge of some sort, but clearly shaped for this application. I can try to get some pictures of them tomorrow when it's light out.

I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this, and when the production change happened.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were three different hold down screws. A slot head screw, a winged screw, and the articulated screw. I and some others have changed in favor of the articulated in all locations.

The notchbacks used the slot head screws on the drivers side vent and one each of the winged and articulated on the passenger side. Fastbacks had a single slot head on the drivers side and an articulated screw on the passenger side. I say this from having seen one each original low mileage notchback and fastback.

Why the different ones? Some have speculated that the slot heads on the drivers side was because that vent is likely to be removed less than the one on the passenger side. Seems to me that the air filter would be changed out more often than a battery or water pump belt.
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not the hold down screw, I'm talking about above the engine area, towards the back glass, not at the strut tower.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I misunderstood. But you got me thinking. I have one each 86, 87 and 88 in my driveway so I just walked out to check. All have the fixed tab with rubber bumper. I'm pretty sure my 87 is original and probably the 86 is, too. The 88 is a formula fastback conversion. I also have an extra set of grills in my garage with the fixed tab.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Just found in the parts book that in 87 there was a first design and a second design.
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you look at the underside of the grille at the rear edge (by the screws) there should be a casting date there. It will be down in the first valley. It's a year (in my case, 86) followed by twelve boxes, each one getting a stamped dot for each month that passes. Obviously, if the mold is stamped, the cssting will have a raised dot.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT sounds like it has the later design, just a tab with a bumper that the decklid presses down on to prevent rattling.

But my 84 notchback (Indy) has side panels where a "hook" engages with a pin on the decklid hinge.
If you don't get that right, you break it off when closing the decklid.
I assume LOTS did that the first time they had to get at the battery.
It took a while, but I found an unbroken passenger side panel for my Indy.

Not sure if they changed that on later years for the notchback.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-03-2014).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just checked all of mine and they're made in 86, including my spare set. None have the articulated tab. My 87 grills were were made in April 86.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both my sets have the articulated tab.
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[URL=http://s978.photobucket.com/user/FieroJimmy1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Early%20Late%20Left%20underside_zpsmrpx59ex.jpg.html][/ URL]

These show the tab I'm talking about, as well as the date codes. In all my years around Fieros I'd never noticed this before a few days ago.

Wow, those are kind of big... Also they're on photobucket (PIP won't run on my phone) if someone wants to resize and/or rehost, feel free.

[This message has been edited by FieroJimmy (edited 05-03-2014).]

FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJimmy

737 posts
Member since May 2002
WTH, why aren't my edits showing up? Those are hosted on PhotoBucket... If someone wants to resize/rehost, feel free. PIP won't run on my phone.

Okay, now one of them is showing up, but the link still isn't fixed... ???

[This message has been edited by FieroJimmy (edited 05-03-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock