Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Buying a 88 Formula in Michigan. Tag question....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Buying a 88 Formula in Michigan. Tag question.... by Jason88Notchie
Started on: 05-02-2014 01:47 PM
Replies: 28 (487 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 05-10-2014 09:48 PM
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the subject states. Going up to Michigan to maybe buy a Fiero tomorrow morning. I have read and heard different advice on how it works when buying an out of state car and driving it home. I don't want to drive with ficticious tags from another vehicle. I feel that would be worse. I figure driving without a plate, having insurance and the signed title may be the best route if I drive it home. Perhaps an officer would understand the situation? I don't know. Just want to be legit. Any advice? Thanks.

Jason
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly as I understand it. Just make sure it's insured and have a signed title and a bill of sale/hand written receipt should be fine.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Ontario Canada, we have to get temporary permits for a couple of days for $15. Mostly, I think, so they can collect sales tax on the purchase....
Cygnus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CygnusSend a Private Message to CygnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if you can in your neck of the woods, but When I buy a car out here, I log onto the state's DoT website, and there, I can print out a three day, or thirty day temp tag. The three day is a buck, and the thirty is like 15. I tape it to my back glass, and away I go.

[This message has been edited by Cygnus (edited 05-02-2014).]

Slow91GP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a car in Ohio once, as far as I know the law states that if you're driving it straight home, it's legal not to have tags. It may however be helpful if you at least insured it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title with you. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute."

http://www.michigan.gov/sos...674-175972--,00.html

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies! That puts my mind at ease. Also to add, I called my insurance and they will cover any car I drive. Just need to transfer tags in my name ASAP.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the car for rust!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Lar. Will do. Been around these cars all my life. And your right....Michigan car. We'll see. The drive there wont be so bad. The drive back if I don't get it will be a long one!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1695 posts
Member since Oct 2009

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

"You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title with you. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute."

http://www.michigan.gov/sos...674-175972--,00.html

Oh, and thanks for the link jaski! And the info! You guys hear this all the time, but the help on here is second to none.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just because it is in Michigan doesn't mean it spent its life in Michigan. Ist Fiero was from Texas. Current car is from Kentucky. So if I were to sell it one would say it is a Michigan car when it wasn't.
PFF
System Bot
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where in Michigan are you going?
1988 Formula

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988 FormulaSend a Private Message to 1988 FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jason, if your deal doesn't work out I have a clean/very rust free 88 Formula for sale. Send me a pm if interested. Located in Kalamazoo, mi area. Thank you, Kevin
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you buy a car in Michigan, the plates stay with the seller. The car can be driven directly to your home without plates. Simply show the dated signed over title to any cop that pulls you over, and try not to draw attention to yourself.

When I bought a new car in Pennsylvania, the dealer had 30 day temp plates on hand, and registered one to my car before I left. In California, the plate stays with the car, so you see really old cars with really old plates. Every state is different.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought both of my Fieros within the past year and both of them had to be brought back on a tow dolly because they both had bad fuel pumps. So I didn't have to worry about driving without a tag, Lol
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know why they give you 3 days to drive it home. Although it's legal, I think a simple 3 hour drive home might take you 3 days, because every cop in town is gonna pull you over without a license plate.

Jim
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notice it says "within Michigan"... you better check the Ohio policy or you might have some "splainin" to do after you cross the boarder. Most states require a temporary tag for any vehicle on the road.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
** I only read the question & not the replies **

When I lived in Ohio, my Fiero was unplated for 5+ years while it sat & was worked on (on an unrelated note it was still insured). I towed it to the Fiero Factory in Alabama. I initially inquired to the BMV about getting temporary tags, because Summit County requires a car to pass Ohio ECheck to be plated. Because the car was 25+ years, it did not require ECheck, & therefor I was also unable to get temp tags. I simply provided the title, my license, paid for plates, & flew out of state with them.

Because you are buying the car out of state, & won't have the title, I would suggest seeing if you can get the title transferred via the BMV, & this will either require the owner to mail you the title, or possibly fax/email.
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Wisconsin you don't have to have plates on the car when you drive it home, but you do have to have insurance. You have three days to register it in your name. Otherwise the outcome would not be pretty. In Minnesota the plates stay with the car.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, I got my car!! Rick was awesome! (PO) He let me drive home with his plate so I don't get much attention from the fuzz. Thanks Rick! Also the car is AWESOME! Needs paint, that about it. He was so straight forward on everything with the car. He really took good care of it. Car ran perfect all the way back home. A couple engine lights that I will investigate but didn't effect drivability what so ever. I got pics from the drive home that my kiddos took of me rolling down the road if you guys want to see.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok Jason, here's the procedure:

Minimum pics req'd include exterior front, rear, L side, R side; interior from each open door; engine & front compartments & any custom or unusual details.

Someone will respond confirming the pics are actually of a Fiero. Any Studebaker, Desoto or other non-Fiero items noticed will be brought to your attention.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we need pics and more info. Where in Michigan did you get your car?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holly MI. Will post pics in a few. I will also start another thread for this car. I deserves it!!!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1984whitesc:

In Wisconsin you don't have to have plates on the car when you drive it home, but you do have to have insurance. You have three days to register it in your name. Otherwise the outcome would not be pretty. In Minnesota the plates stay with the car.

Texas used to be that way but the new owner would drive around until they got caught before registering the vehicle. Now the plates stay with the owner. They have where you can print a 5 day transit permit on-line. But crossing state lines can be tricky because all states have different laws. This is why I prefer to trailer the car, no tag issues.

Oh and let's see the Formula!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry took so long. Here it is.

This was the drive home from MI. My son is not the greatest photographer.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1695 posts
Member since Oct 2009
A few more after getting it back home.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car looks great! Is this the only Fiero you have?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son has an 84 Sport. I should get some pics up of his car too. Fieros' are a family affair for us. My Dad bought the 88 I used to have new. When I was 15 I spent many hours drooling over that car!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Car looks great! Is this the only Fiero you have?

Yes looks great.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock