I bought my first Fiero! by Slow91GP
Started on: 04-27-2014 02:40 PM
Replies: 26 (530 views)
Last post by: Spaxspore on 05-04-2014 03:21 AM
Slow91GP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I'm new here. My name is Spencer, I'm from the Detroit, MI area and I'm picking up my first Fiero tomorrow! It's a 1984 Indy with the Iron Duke, only 72k miles on it and it's in pretty good shape! Has some paint chips on the front corner but next to no rust, which apparently is very hard to find in my neck of the woods. I just joined up here, looks like this is the place to be if you own a Fiero!

------------------
1991 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - 136,000mi
1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy - 72,000mi

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. Is that the one I saw on Craigslist from Shelby Township? Number 44 of 2000?

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

Slow91GP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes sir. Went and checked it out yesterday, it looked really good I just wasn't a fan of the 2.5. I told him I was interested but I wanted to check out a couple others first. So I looked at a black one out in Warren, and a gold one in Roseville... both were rotted turds. For the price and condition I think I got a good deal. I'm just gonna drive it till the iron puke dies and then 3400 swap it or something.

[This message has been edited by Slow91GP (edited 04-27-2014).]

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good... Let the fun begin
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will definitely be slow with that automatic transmission but my 85 5 speed Iron "puke" (your term), is very peppy and fun to drive.
Slow91GP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was not impressed by the performance at all but I'm looking at it in a nostalgic perspective. The experience of cruising around Detroit in an Indy Fiero is too cool. Plus like I said, an engine swap will be in it's future eventually.

------------------

Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car to start your Fiero obsession with.

Have fun with it.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations. Welcome to the club.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't be so quick to mod an Indy Fiero please. But your car..........
Slow91GP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in no rush to mod it... As long as the engine keeps going, I'll keep it mostly stock.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good. You got a nice one there!
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Fiero. Just remember, your car will cruise at 60 mph just as easily as a V-8 powered Fiero.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slow91GP:
I'm just gonna drive it till the iron puke dies and then 3400 swap it or something.

Lol! As of 08May2014 I'll have been driving my '84 SE 2.5L Iron Duke 4 speed for 30 years & 364,000 kilometers (226,000 miles).
Soooo.... if you're waiting for the Duke to die, you may have a long wait!

Ok, I have to tell you that the original Duke was replaced free by GM under warranty for a block crack at 102,000 kilometers (63,000 miles). But the 'new' engine is still going strong after 262,000 kilometers (163,000 miles) and 27 years. It isn't babied either; since it's not exactly a powerhouse engine I tend to wind it up to 4,000 rpm a lot. My 'powerful' '88 Formula 2.8L 5 speed on the other hand, usually stays below 3,000 rpm unless I want to hear the cool snarl. (Edit to confess; that's usually at least once per outing... )

Good luck with your Indy!

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 04-27-2014).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF and Nice Indy Fiero! Post your Vin and other info for your Indy in this thread They may be able to provide you with more information and update the database.
Slow91GP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, this forum sure seems busy! I'm bringing her home tomorrow, will have loads more pics when I do!
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!

If your steering wheel and door panels have greasy hand stains on them, a Mr. Clean sponge will work wonders. That light gray interior prolly shows everything.

Enjoy!
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the nice find!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! You have found THE place to be if you own a Fiero! Nice looking Indy! If you don't mind my asking, did you pay the full asking price, or talk him down from the 2500 a bit? Not that it's not worth the asking price or anything!
Slow91GP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I threw him an offer of $2200 before I left to check the others, he took it. Going to try to knock it down another hundred when I go to pick it up hopefully. If not, oh well.

------------------

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Looks like a nice car.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

OziDarklighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OziDarklighterSend a Private Message to OziDarklighterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! I'm jealous of your first fiero :-)

Mine first was the 86 2M4, and soon after I bought it I realized I like the GT better, would rather have a V6, and HATE the 3spd automatic transmission.

Are you planning on joining the Michigan Fiero Club? If so, I'll see you at some of the events for sure. There's a Spring Dust Off this weekend.

------------------
-Ozi

1986 Pontiac Fiero SE (2M4) 142,000mi
1985 Pontiac Fiero SE (2M6) 64,000mi

PFF
System Bot
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enjoy the car, it looks good.
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome find Spencer! And yes, you will find that detroit weather and the road salt will be very rough on your suspension. Do what I do and Keep "Fiero" as a saved search bookmarked in the craigslist app, and check it every day. A lot of people in our area use CL for this kind of stuff and it always seems like the Fiero parts are the ones that get grabbed the fastest.

Also, swing by Ryan's Pick-A-Part, it's on Chicago and Hubble st. on the west side (sketchy area i know..) but it seems like they get a new Fiero in there every other week. and they don't know the true value of the parts lol (a full 88 headlight system was only $40 -WIN)

Anyways, If you ever need help with a tricky job or anything like that, PM me, I'm just off 12 Mile and the 275 / 696 / 96 / M-5 interchange.

And keep us all updated!

-John
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
id be one of the first to say do a 60degree swap, but you have an indy, if you do, i recomend cradle swaps and dont mod the body is at all possible!

oh yea, the duke is slow and no power, but they dont die
Slow91GP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jschmidt95:

Awesome find Spencer! And yes, you will find that detroit weather and the road salt will be very rough on your suspension. Do what I do and Keep "Fiero" as a saved search bookmarked in the craigslist app, and check it every day. A lot of people in our area use CL for this kind of stuff and it always seems like the Fiero parts are the ones that get grabbed the fastest.

Also, swing by Ryan's Pick-A-Part, it's on Chicago and Hubble st. on the west side (sketchy area i know..) but it seems like they get a new Fiero in there every other week. and they don't know the true value of the parts lol (a full 88 headlight system was only $40 -WIN)

Anyways, If you ever need help with a tricky job or anything like that, PM me, I'm just off 12 Mile and the 275 / 696 / 96 / M-5 interchange.

And keep us all updated!

-John

I'm aware of Ryan's. I'm what I could best be described as a "junkyard enthusiast". I'll set certain days aside to junkyard hop all the area yards haha. Thanks for the offer though, maybe we can hit up a junkyard one day? Are you on the Fiero Club of Michigan?

Also, been a few days since I posted. The car is home and she's treating me well so far! Apart from the TCC solenoid that just took a crap on me yesterday -__-

Both of my Pontiacs/babies!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Slow91GP (edited 05-01-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find and glad to see another nice Fiero in Michigan!
Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glad to have another join the indy club Not many are left. Enjoy it!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock