Started on: 04-23-2014 04:43 PM
Replies: 29 (970 views)
Last post by: soup on 04-28-2014 10:36 PM
soup

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys!

The body is done, the rims are done, the interior (Amida G1) should be here shortly so all that remains is to clean up the T-tops and the engine....
So I have been trying to wrap by brain around all of the different swap options and also what the cost is going to be.

I am not a mechanic, don't even want to try to be, so this won't be a project I do on my own. I am going to farm it out.

What I REALLY want to have, is a super fast Fiero but I want it to still have either the stock plenum or something like it in the engine pay that says "Fiero" and looks nice / matches the car.

So I was thinking of something like FieroSound's car with the 3400 either turbo charges or supercharged so i can maintain the stock plenum. Only... I don't think this will have near enough power.

Ideally... I would want to go with the 3800SC II tuned or an LS1 and a fiberglass plenum cover that has FIERO inlayed or something along those lines.

I want it to have more get up and go than my 2014 5.7 hemi ram.

The real question always will come down to cost and where can I go in Canada to get this done? I would love to just take it to Archie but as he is retiring AND that triples the costs..... I don't think that is a good idea. I would prefer to have something local here in Calgary.... any input??

I sent a few emails to both shops that FIEROSOUND has listed on his website and neither place got back to me.

Thanks guys!

Jamie

------------------

If you like what I am contributing, please vote.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think that there is anyone here that specializes in the Fiero. I took my car down to Idaho and Fieroking did my swap.

I know there was a fellow here who had a 3.8 SC done in a local shop and the install was a mess.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-23-2014).]

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I bug you to let me know what the approximate cost was? If not in public through PM? Which engine?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a 3.4 DOHC swap, link to build thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000127.html

PM sent
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had people before ship their cars to me then come and pick it up when done and drive her home. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

I have had people before ship their cars to me then come and pick it up when done and drive her home. Dan

That's similar to what I did with mine. Dove it down and flew home, flew down to pick it up and drove home with a bunch of trophies
Oneredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneredfieroClick Here to visit Oneredfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OneredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think Troy Ritchie is starting to do swaps. I remember seeing something somewhere about it. If i find it again i will post it.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for my ignorance. I have been gone a long time. Who is Troy Ritchie? Is he in Calgary?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He's in Red Deer. I don't think he owns his shop any more.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

He's in Red Deer. I don't think he owns his shop any more.

Correct. Troy closed his shop a few years back and is at Mister Transmission in Red Deer.
http://www.mistertransmission.com/red-deer

I doubt he's doing swaps in his "spare time" He doesn't have any! (you could call and ask though)
When I needed the Getrag 5-speed for my Indy rebuilt, I had to run it through the shop he worked at.

Older videos of Troy's car - Chev 383 SBC with 4-spped automatic
http://members.shaw.ca/calg...LOADS/wheelstand.MPG
http://members.shaw.ca/calg...OWNLOADS/fastRUN.MPG

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh THAT was Troy!! I remember that car. I thought he was from Lethbridge though. Too bad he isn't doing it anymore. Hrmmm.. So I might have to go to Ontario?
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could consider a turbo version of the push rod 3.4 engine. All you have to do is bore new holes for the starter and everything else is basically the same as the 2.8 engine (not counting the turbo). I have one that I use as a show car and really like it.

Nelson
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troy IS doing swaps.. He works for Mr transmission in Red Deer and is finishing up a lambo kit swapped with a LS4 engine combo going into it.. So look up Mr Transmission in Red Deer give them a buzz and ask for troy...
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
pm sent you soup...
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if he's still there, but see if Race-Tech Engineering is in the Calgary yellow pages and ask for Ross. He does amazing work at a fair price.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 04-24-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I don't know if he's still there, but see if Race-Tech Engineering is in the Calgary yellow pages and ask for Ross. He does amazing work at a fair price.

Never heard of them before....

But it looks like they're still here.
http://www.profilecanada.co...gineering_Calgary_AB

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I contacted Troy in Red Deer... awesome guy! Very knowledgeable and seems to really care about his customers.
Unfortunately though, he is super busy and their shop rates through the shop make this swap not worth it. After talking with him, I was thinking about it and $10,000 just in labour is not worth it. He would fabricate all mounts and do the harness himself. I am the furthest thing form knowledgeable on this subject but it seems like the mount kits and harnesses would be a lot cheaper through other people on this forum. It would also be a 6 month job...

Right now, it seems like the best option may be to ship my car to FIEROFLYER... although I would feel a lot more comfortable if he was down the street as opposed to the opposite side of the country.

thismanyfieros and FIEROFLYER you both have PM's

------------------

If you like what I am contributing, please vote.

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

soup

1572 posts
Member since Nov 2001

Originally posted by hnthomps:

You could consider a turbo version of the push rod 3.4 engine. All you have to do is bore new holes for the starter and everything else is basically the same as the 2.8 engine (not counting the turbo). I have one that I use as a show car and really like it.

Nelson

It looks like I am going to max <200 HP going this route though. If I could push this into the ~300 range I would be all over it!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:

Unfortunately though, he is super busy and their shop rates through the shop make this swap not worth it. After talking with him, I was thinking about it and $10,000 just in labour is not worth it.

... and that's from a guy who knows Fieros and what he is doing.

You can imagine the "extras" that would pile up if someone who's never even seen a Fiero says " sure, we can do that engine swap fer ya".

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

... and that's from a guy who knows Fieros and what he is doing.

You can imagine the "extras" that would pile up if someone who's never even seen a Fiero says " sure, we can do that engine swap fer ya".

Yes, I understand that for sure. He is an expert, and probably one of the most trusted guys around here. He is worth the money, and I SHOULD go to him.... BUT... he did also say that the majority of the work is the custom mounts he would fabricate and the harness he would create from scratch. There are A LOT of success stories on this forum in the thread about how much everyone's 3800 SC swap cost them and everyone that paid over $7000 seemed to mentioned by everyone else as being UBER high.

I think this is one of those scenarios where I would have a perfect, 100% flawless install for $10,000 with Troy and it is the best option. However; I can't afford it. So if I look elsewhere I still have a high probability of a great swap with no problems that will do just fine for a 1/3 of the price. Value is in the eye of the beholder and for some having a guy like Troy work on their car is 90% of the value. For me, the net result is 100% of the value. So $4000 vs $10,000 + engine, pully change, ECM (probably around $13,000 all in) just doesn't hold the value for that cost anymore.... unfortunately for me.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a head's up but you will likely have a few minor issues that you will have to sort out after the swap, especially if the swapper is not local. Who want's to transport the car back to them for minor problems? I don't think there's such a thing as a completely trouble free swap, but your mileage may vary.

Nolan
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:

Yes, I understand that for sure. He is an expert, and probably one of the most trusted guys around here. He is worth the money, and I SHOULD go to him.... BUT...

Not knocking your decision. I'm not rich/cheap and why I have to do the work myself.

My point was, that there's great "hot rod fab shops" with great reputations around that could build you anything you want,
BUT if they've never seen/worked on a Fiero before, add some extra work/time/$$$ for them to LEARN what they're doing.
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not knocking your decision. I'm not rich/cheap and why I have to do the work myself.

My point was, that there's great "hot rod fab shops" with great reputations around that could build you anything you want,
BUT if they've never seen/worked on a Fiero before, add some extra work/time/$$$ for them to LEARN what they're doing.

Yeah for sure. That's a good point. I am seriously considering FIEROFLYER and an engine from thismanyfieros.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or, you could send it to Fierosound. He does nice work and knows Fiero's to boot!

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-25-2014).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have some one near by that can do the actual labour of installing there are mounts, accessory brackets and harnesses with PCM's available to buy then installer just has to mount the engine instal the harness and the rest is just exhaust work, intake air routing and fuel system upgrades. Save a crap load on shipping. Dan
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Or, you could send it to Fierosound. He does nice work and knows Fiero's to boot!

Busy with a 7165 ECM swap in the GT, and EZ-EFI on the Indy.

Never did a 3800 S/C. But Paul (in Calgary) is doing his 3800 S/C swap in his garage right now!

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing many people make the mistake is comparing prices south of the border. It is a lot cheaper to have someone install an engine in the US than it is here in Canada, so you have to take that into consideration. Granted just about everything is cheaper in the US (just look at car parts in general - and don't get me started on Dodge's price gouging).

As for doing it yourself, why not? You say you are not a mechanic but: 1) you are planning a swap that has been tried and tested many times and is/should be well documented, 2) kits are available (hardware, wiring, programming), 3) sure there is enough help to get you through some rough spots. The only issue would be space and as long as you have access to tools you should be ok.

IIRC thismanyfieros had sent his car to FIEROFLYER to install his 3800SC, so that is an option.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 04-28-2014).]

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 04-28-2014).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

One thing many people make the mistake is comparing prices south of the border. It is a lot cheaper to have someone install an engine in the US than it is here in Canada, so you have to take that into consideration. Granted just about everything is cheaper in the US (just look at car parts in general - and don't get me started on Dodge's price gouging).

Snip...

This is a good point and I did notice the reduced pricing when I was paying for everything overall. Parts are cheaper in the US.

Nolan
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

As for doing it yourself, why not? You say you are not a mechanic but: 1) you are planning a swap that has been tried and tested many times and is/should be well documented, 2) kits are available (hardware, wiring, programming), 3) sure there is enough help to get you through some rough spots. The only issue would be space and as long as you have access to tools you should be ok.

IIRC thismanyfieros had sent his car to FIEROFLYER to install his 3800SC, so that is an option.

It is really starting to look like this is what I am going to do. The Engine from thismanyfiero's appears to have most mounts and most things I need. The harness is for an 84 but I am assuming any hardware, pcm, wiring stuff I need I can get it from FIEROFLYER in ontario.

If push comes to shove, I will ship the car to FIEROFLYER with the engine. I will do most of it on a spare cradle and get it ready to mount up. I have a good amount of tools. I am handy... just not meticulous. I have done a lot of stuff before, but probably the most complex was change a carb and do a head gasket. Maybe the ball joint in the fiero without the proper tools.... lol.. that was also fun. I think the only thing I would need is a torque wrench and a cherry picker to lift the car up. I have 2 tonne jack stands, a few trolley jacks or whatever they are called and a lot of sockets and air tools.

So as long as I don't need a tap and die set, or a grinder or stuff like that I should be set. I think I might attempt it anyways. Just wish I had more friends that were mechanically inclined as beer would be an awesome way to fund this project. I just have to get some funds together and figure out when I can go pick up the engine...

Jamie

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock