Rebuilding of a 84 Fiero by Tmcd98
Started on: 04-19-2014 09:59 AM
Replies: 5 (185 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-21-2014 04:00 AM
Tmcd98

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tmcd98Send a Private Message to Tmcd98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fiero Fans!

I'm 15 and recently bought a 84 Fiero. I don't have a licence; but i am into cars and i am hoping to work on it until i do. It may be a very general question but are there any tips to totally restore one? This fiero has been sitting for 14 years. I am planning on taking out the engine and all of the interior. I already know the clutch is stiff and rough and all the fluids need changing. The car has everything you would expect to be wrong after sitting for that long.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! Play around with the SEARCH function, try the options, and try different search names. There is a lot of information on cars that have sat a long time.....seems to be a common Fiero thing. Here is a good read on what might need to be done...but remember the 84 is different in some ways.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118877.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-19-2014).]

1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're planning on restoring to original, there are a lot of parts that are specific to that year. I am currently restoring an 84 from the ground up as well. If you plan on keeping the four cylinder, I'd recommend swapping to an 85 or 86 wiring harness to save you a few head aches lol.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

Tmcd98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tmcd98Send a Private Message to Tmcd98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks a lot. And yes i am sticking with the original engine so that's good to know!
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF! You'll find everything you need here as you tackle each part of your restoration project. Just try to tackle one thing at a time, you'll learn as you go and the job won't seem so out of reach that was. Are you starting with a running car? Rust issues? How about some pics!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tmcd98:

It may be a very general question but are there any tips to totally restore one?

Be Very careful on how much you invest. It's very easy to lose track and then find out you have a fortune invested in a car that's worth very little. Been there, done that, wish i hadn't. In the grand scheme, 88's will generally be worth the most and 84's the least.

You should also be aware that the 84 has certain things that are unique - stuff that was changed in the the later years. Be aware of this when you ask for advice, parts, etc.

I'd work on making the car reliable and fixing stuff that goes bad over time (like the cooling system that rusts and corrodes). Good luck and be aware that there is a TON of info available using SEARCH. You don't always have to wait for answers and the archives is some pretty good reading.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-21-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock