Started on: 04-18-2014 09:21 PM
Replies: 6 (298 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-19-2014 06:28 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished up installing my RFID setup in my Fiero, and it is working perfectly! I got a lot of comments about this in my build thread, and in person. Now that I know what all is involved, and what is needed, I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in a complete kit to install this feature on their Fiero. This could also be used to unlock the doors or the trunk pretty easily.

The kit would come with:

• RFID receiver and 2 key fobs (Can add up to 20)
  • 10a Relay
  • Electric solenoid (To physically pull the cable)
  • Wiring and plugs
  • Detailed instructions with diagrams

Here is a quick video of it in action:

Basically the RFID box and relay go behind the "B" pillar behind the drives seat. I ran the antenna behind the speaker so it is just behind the quarter window. The solenoid itself goes behind the air canister. There is one wire with a crimped spade on it, that would be supplied, to run to a spot that is open on the fuse box (Unless you have added something there already), and simply plugs in. As you can see from the video, I just installed a self tapping screw into the frame behind the "B" pillar for the ground instead of running additional wiring.

The solenoid could be relocated behind the "B" pillar instead of in the engine bay. I am pretty sure there is enough room. Also the location of the antenna can be changed. However the antenna has to be within about 12" of the RFID box.

I was thinking the kit would cost roughly $65 shipped inside the continental US, other location would need to have additional postage charges.

Does this seem like something anyone would want? Comments, suggestions, ideas, both positive and negative welcome!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting idea.

I don't see the usefulness as the motion is almost the same as popping the manual release though. Not something that I would look to buy.

but still, an interesting idea.

Nolan
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it would be interesting to use for the trunk, so the button on the dash could be used for something else.
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in an RFID or NFC receiver mountable some distance from the door, capable of six inch or so sensitivity to a passive transceiver (no battery!) carried in a fob. The receiver in the car would trigger a relay that activates door unlock. Should work fine, and it would be very convenient.

The driver approaches the car and (assuming the passive fob is in a suitable pocket) brushes up against the car at the right spot, or pulls the ignition key + passive fob and waves it at the right spot -- he hears a satisfying CLICK, and opens the door.

Cost under $10 in parts...
Reliability nearly 100%...
The unit in the car would be ALWAYS ON, dissipating a few milliamperes (no significant effect upon battery life)
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there was security companies that had the rfid door locks etc back in the late 80s. I would not mind door locks but would rather have a larger range (5-6ft) like the older kits, they would lock (arm) when out of range and unlock(disarm) when in range. the one brand a friend had was around $500 back then.
Nice work on your project..
------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 04-19-2014).]

FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Interesting idea.

I don't see the usefulness as the motion is almost the same as popping the manual release though. Not something that I would look to buy.

but still, an interesting idea.

Nolan

I agree
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy passive keyless entry (PKE) systems from eBay and other places on the 'net that do this. i had one in my car and took it out and smashed it. It's cool at first. Walk near the car and the doors unlock on their own. Walk away and they lock. Convenient and cool. But if you spend any amount of time near the car, mine would lock and unlock all the time. This is annoying especially when you get gas. The range was unpredictable - would cycle the locks a few times as I stood near the gas door. Try to work on the car, and it's almost constantly cycling the locks. I got to the point where i just left the keys in the car - there was no valet switch or way to turn it off. The last straw was when i threw the keys on the floor, closed the door and the thing malfunctioned and locked the car with the keys inside on the floor. In the time i had the system installed, it probably put about 3x normal wear and tear on the locks. My system had a single antenna but i see the newer ones have 3 antennas. whatever - my advice is to think about how it would work in your situation before you put one in. Maybe it would be ok if you could turn it off when you wanted to.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock