Started on: 04-18-2014 08:33 PM
Replies: 36 (1882 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 04-23-2014 12:44 AM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone tell me about this car? Is it am IMSA or another wide body kit. Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-18-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

looks like a tweeked IMSA to me.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like Doug's standard notchback IMSA kit but the person added the 2 separators to each intake vent. Doug's kit has one large opening per side.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's it worth? Running Driving Auto / V6 - 62k on the clock. New Paint.

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-18-2014).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno, something seems off about the angles of the rear fenders. Could just be the wheels though, its really hard to get a good set of wheels to fill those fenders

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 04-18-2014).]

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put some wheel spacers on that thing!, then get wrap aroun spoiler to complete the look
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCanada:

put some wheel spacers on that thing!, then get wrap aroun spoiler to complete the look

Nah the IMSA is one of those things that you need to fill the whole fender, it would look like ass without it, these are the backs of both of mine, kinda need that look to complete the kit

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA is a race. DGP is the body style. Rick B
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

IMSA is a race. DGP is the body style. Rick B

Thanks for the correction Rick, Up until recently, I did not pay much attention to the details behind the wide bodies. So I have this correct though,

DGP made the bodies we see on most "stock" road driven Fieros? OMSA GT mentioned "Dougs"? I'm assuming this is another manufacturer of a wide body? Anything special I need to look for to identify the body? If it runs and drives as claimed and it's not a rust bucket underneath, I'll probably make an offer and try to bring it home. This could be number 12!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DGP was a maker who sold the molds to IRM who in turn sold the molds to Fiero warehouse.

Here's a list of who made what.

DGP
Stage 1 (fancy kinda skirting kit)
stage 2 (like the banshee fiero monkey has)
Stage 3 (my notchback)
(they also made the original race body's

IRM made all 3 of them and jim also made the GT wide body, (don't know about race bodies )

Fiero warehouse (current maker)
makes all the ones listed above with a few changes to the body and accessories. (also don't know about race bodies)

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 04-19-2014).]

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a nice car Pat. Aside from those Vette wheels it looks very good.
PFF
System Bot
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Pontiackid I own the original Stage Two. The one you mention was a race body modified in Colorado to fit a fFero. Mine was the original for the Fiero and meant to copy the Race Body mine was also Stage 1 but quickly rolled in the shop and transformed to the Stage II. My car was every car below. Katatak DGP and Fiero Warehouse kept the DGP stamp in each fender when you look at the bolt on areas up top, Not sure if IRM sanded it off the molds. Rick B

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SuperchargedV6

1966 posts
Member since Jan 2006
Also the wide body GT was a DGP mold and car along with whale tail. Rick B

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick, I called the number on that shirt and no one answered.....
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
katatak , get it and you can join in on all the fun we IMSA owners have
h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

katatak , get it and you can join in on all the fun we IMSA owners have

They're head turners! (even my ugly duckling...lol)

now has the correct whale tail.

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by h.d.fire:

They're head turners! (even my ugly duckling...lol)

now has the correct whale tail.

I actually like the original spoiler with that one. It makes it look lower like a drag car I think. Rick
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought it - drove it home 260 miles - all is good!
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't say for sure, but I'd GUESS that there's a possibility that car started out as an IRM (or DGP) wide body kit.

The reasoning behind this is, among the molds/parts that Doug bought from IRM, there were two incomplete panels that make just the ribs to fit in the rear quarter scoop opening.

They are what served as the inspiration for what Fierowarehouse sells as Ribbed IMSA Quarter Panels.
I used what came from IRM to produce the center section and grafted it into the L&R quarter panels, which became the plugs used to make the molds that produce the Ribbed IMSA panels that we still sell.

Again, I don't KNOW that the car presented in this thread (the red one the OP asked about) is indeed an IRM wide body, but it looks like it could be, given the facts I've presented here. Never seen another one like it anywhere, but we still have the ribbed sections that came from IRM.

Just a little "trivia"

HAGO!

Edit to add: After having looked at your other post showing the front end, I'd say that it IS an IRM or DGP wide body kit. Couldn't see the front end in the pics in this thread, but the front and rear bumper seperation lines are kind of a dead give-a-way. This must be the car that the ribs were made for. Would be interesting to know the history and if the original buyer of this car special ordered the rear quarter panels with the ribs, or if it was something Jim Sutter just wanted to try.

Nice find!

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 04-22-2014).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Bought it - drove it home 260 miles - all is good!

Congrats Pat. Enjoy the car.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes!... Congrats Pat!... nice score!
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wanted to put ribs on mine.........
don't cut this one up Pat!!!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies - No plans to cut this one up. I'm just going to fix the little issues and drive / enjoy it!

Out of all the Fieros I've messed with, I miss the bone stock Formula the most. I get that same "driving enjoyment" feeling with this car. I will give it the care it deserves and will soon be another great example of a wide body.

P.S. Where can I find a set of those wheels like on H.D's car? I also like the look with the stock wing - I'll be keeping mine.

Can anyone tell me what back space or offset I need and how wide of a rim I can use in the back / front?

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-21-2014).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can anyone tell me what back space or offset I need and how wide of a rim I can use in the back / front?

If you plan on staying with a 15"-17" wheel, and stock struts/springs, the rears can be 10" wide. The fronts 8" to 8.5" wide. The kit is 3 inches wider than stock in the rear so with the stock lace wheels being 7" wide, you can add another 3" to the outside of the wheel.

If you go to an 18"-20" wheel, the rears can be as wide as 12" with the proper coilover shocks.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

If you plan on staying with a 15"-17" wheel, and stock struts/springs, the rears can be 10" wide. The fronts 8" to 8.5" wide. The kit is 3 inches wider than stock in the rear so with the stock lace wheels being 7" wide, you can add another 3" to the outside of the wheel.

If you go to an 18"-20" wheel, the rears can be as wide as 12" with the proper coilover shocks.

Thanks for the reply - so I'm clear, I can look for a 17" wheel that is 10" wide with the stock offset for the rear and a 17" wheel that is 8 or 8.5 inch wide with stock offset for the front? Sounds easy? Or maybe I'm being overly optimistic?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the reply - so I'm clear, I can look for a 17" wheel that is 10" wide with the stock offset for the rear and a 17" wheel that is 8 or 8.5 inch wide with stock offset for the front? Sounds easy? Or maybe I'm being overly optimistic?

That is correct. The offset remains the same for up to a 17" wheel. If you go to an 18" or bigger, the wheel will then clear the rear strut knuckle and then you can move the wheel inwards more which changes the offset.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A lot of three piece 5x 100 wheels here.

http://www.stanceworks.com/...orumdisplay.php?f=16

congrats on the buy.

more pics !!!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8650 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Not 17, but nice !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat-
The wheels on my car are Centerline 928's. And as already mentioned, you want 10" wide wheels on the back. My car has 2" spacers on the rear to get the 8" rear rims out where they need to be. My fronts are 7.5". These wheels are EXTREMELY hard to find. I'm still trying to find 10" rears with no luck so far.
Congratulations on the buy!

[This message has been edited by h.d.fire (edited 04-22-2014).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exoticse - thanks for those links - lots to wade through.

H.D. thanks for the info on your wheels. I've seen those before for sale but never really paid much attention to them. I remember they were pretty pricey too! Not sure what I'll do for wheel. There are way too many "options". I'm not opposed to wheel adapters or spacers as I've run those on the 4.9 XTC with no issues. I spent most the night last night looking at wheels - my head is fried just thinking about it. Tinkering with the car some more today - I can't take it out in public with these ugly ass wheels that are on there now.

So if I find a 17X10 inch wheel, what do you all think I can do for tire size in the rear? Thanks in advance for your replies.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the rear 315/35/17

Tirerack has Sumitomos for $142 each. Here are the specs:

As for wheels, I was looking at these. They sell 17x10 in a 5x100 with a +25 offset which is approximately 1" which would mean you need a 1" wheel spacer........if my measurements are correct:
http://www.supremepowerpart...hop_by_category.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-22-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
The very CLOSEST fit I could find is by ESM wheels. They sell stock looking wheels that simply look badass. They have 17x10 in a 5x100 with a 15mm offset which means the wheel is pushed inwards .59 inches. I don't know how much clearance a stock 15" wheel has from the strut knuckle but these MAY be able to be a direct fit.
http://esmwheels.com/access/17-c-21_91_34_63.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-22-2014).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the second one too!

I did find these on E Bay. As a set - 17X8.5 fronts with a 30ET (30mm?) and 17X10 rear with a 20ET (20mm?). To get 30ET (assuming that's the same as 30mm) like the stock GT wheel, I would need a 10mm spacer? All these offsets and backspacing and "ET" boggles my mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17x...sh-Lip-/231206538598

And these - not sure if a 9" would work up front though - 25mm on the 9" and 20mm on the 10"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XXR...OFFSET-/321363325042
in silver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XXR...SX-S14-/321363324894

And I'm really liking these - 25mm on the 8" and 20mm on the 10"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XXR...SX-S14-/331163436706

What do you think about a Diamond or Aero or Basset steel racing wheel? Something like this one.
http://www.bassettwheel.com/dhole_lightweight.html

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-22-2014).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about the XXR wheels before but their math skills scare me. If you have a 10" wheel with "0" offset, the wheel is perfectly centered with 5 inches sticking outward and 5 inches sticking inward from the wheel hub. If you add a 20mm offset to a 10" wheel, that means you will have a wheel that has an offset of 5.78. You will have 5.78" of wheel inwards and 4.22" of wheel on the outside. They list the backspace as 6.29". I don't understand their measurements.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The very CLOSEST fit I could find is by ESM wheels. They sell stock looking wheels that simply look badass.

BBS and Prime had wheels that looked like that.
It was a popular style OEM on German cars.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...s+5x100+rim&_sacat=0

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-22-2014).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

BBS and Prime had wheels that looked like that. I think BMW has that pattern too, but the bolt circle is wrong.

I remember the BBS wheels. They looked very nice.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exoticse - thanks for those links - lots to wade through.

H.D. thanks for the info on your wheels. I've seen those before for sale but never really paid much attention to them. I remember they were pretty pricey too! Not sure what I'll do for wheel. There are way too many "options". I'm not opposed to wheel adapters or spacers as I've run those on the 4.9 XTC with no issues. I spent most the night last night looking at wheels - my head is fried just thinking about it. Tinkering with the car some more today - I can't take it out in public with these ugly ass wheels that are on there now.

So if I find a 17X10 inch wheel, what do you all think I can do for tire size in the rear? Thanks in advance for your replies.

you are welcome,..i also feel your pain on the wheel front. my widebody choptop has had wrong sized wheels for a looong time and i have not even wanted to drive it or take it out until i get that resolved.

lucked up on a cheap set of 3 piece hre wheels and soon i will be proud to wheel her out.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-23-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock