Custom underhood and undercar lighting, LED, etc by 2.5
Started on: 04-18-2014 01:01 PM
Replies: 10 (391 views)
Last post by: Pegasus88GT on 04-18-2014 10:55 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the legality of custom lighting like this? Anyone know of a good source to find out the up to date legality in each state? I would think if only used at car shows there shouldnt be much problem. But I also know usually only certain colors are allowed to be used on the street in front or back of your car. If a carshow happens on a street that is coned off woudld it technically still not be legal to turn these type of lights on? Maybe if the vehicle is not moving? Also I think neon tubes were the concern back in the day, because they could break. With the advent of LED strip lights that shouldnt be a concern any longer.

I found these 2 pic online, if you have lights on your car please post them.

I know we all have different tastes, so please take that into consideration when replying.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-18-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you mentioned, it varies by state. But in pretty much every state, there are only certain colors that you can use on a car. On the back this is white (clear), red and yellow. On the front you can use white (clear) and yellow. That is pretty much it. Even changing the PONTIAC in the rear GT lights to blue would be illegal while driving.

You also mentioned that you can do this if the car is parked. Yes, as long as the car is parked, you can use pretty much any color lights in any location. Just NOT while the vehicle is being driven. There are gray area's of course, just as you would not want to put rotating blue lights in your car, even if it is parked
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

As you mentioned, it varies by state. But in pretty much every state, there are only certain colors that you can use on a car. On the back this is white (clear), red and yellow. On the front you can use white (clear) and yellow. That is pretty much it. Even changing the PONTIAC in the rear GT lights to blue would be illegal while driving.

You also mentioned that you can do this if the car is parked. Yes, as long as the car is parked, you can use pretty much any color lights in any location. Just NOT while the vehicle is being driven. There are gray area's of course, just as you would not want to put rotating blue lights in your car, even if it is parked

And to clarify, white on the rear is also only allowed for certain things. You can't have white brake/tail/running/turn lights on the rear. And even sticking with those colors, there are types of lights which you can't have, without special permit to use your car as a POV as volunteer fire/etc…
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In most places, undercar lighting cannot be on while driving down the street.
GAWD - I thought that went out in the 90's

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see you are in Minnesota. Go here

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This code from MN pretty much sums it up:

Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permitted in this chapter.

So again, if you are parked..... light it up!

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rule of thumb if your going to turn them on the car cannot be moving, I used to have them on my 1st car but to tell you the truth they do cause a lot of problems, they break easy the led is not a constant glow of light and they kinda became really played out a number of years ago, in my opinion there not worth the aggravation. but I think you can get away with amber around all sides seeing as how amber is legal on all sides of a car
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Effects like above of any color or just added lights are ticket magnets is many places. Doesn't matter type of light, LED etc.
General rule, lights on mean car is parked and away from any road. Street parking on active road can be problem. (Legal Street close = parking lot.)

If your lucky, only thing is getting the ticket for illegal light.

research FMVSS 571.108
Many states laws use 108 as base or even copies some or all of that.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then my car must be highly illegal. Even though I have some elaborate lighting, I tend to agree with PK that it's kinda old school these days. I rarely turn mine on unless someone actually asks to see them lit up.
Darksyde

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had red LED underbody tubes wired into my turn signals and brakes on a past car. I could turn them off if needed as well. Only got bothered a cpl of times. Most just warned against using them while driving. Some thought it was a cool idea to have them wired that way. Never received a citation for it.
Pegasus88GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just installed a set on mine today. Couldn't be happier!

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock