Ideas needed by Dave E Bouy
Started on: 04-16-2014 09:59 PM
Replies: 11 (406 views)
Last post by: Dave E Bouy on 04-18-2014 10:10 PM
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey peeps. I am nearing the end of a 06 N*/4T80E swap into an 85 GT. I engineered a fancy schmancy shift cable bracket at the transmission end and made some alterations to the auto shifter to accommodate the extra throw of a 4 spd auto. I was very happy with how it worked until I installed the shifter surround and found that it needed an extra half inch or so at either end of the throw. I have never liked the looks of the stock Fiero auto shift surround and have always used a manual one instead so now I'm looking for ideas to make a up a plate to use in place of a leather boot on a manual shifter surround. I'm sure I can make something up out of polished stainless but what I don't want is to be able to see through the slot that that shifter moves back and forth in. Any suggestions?

DF
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smaller leather boot?

You could make a plate to adapt the auto boot, and show the PRND321, similar to how the stock Fiero auto plate looks, to use in the manual surround, and use an auto shifter boot instead of the larger manual one.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have just what you need in my '05 Ford Freestyle. It's a sliding black plastic dohicky that covers the slot from the bottom side. There are probably some other Fords that use it as well....500, Taurus X....
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-17-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I have just what you need in my '05 Ford Freestyle. It's a sliding black plastic dohicky that covers the slot from the bottom side. There are probably some other Fords that use it as well....500, Taurus X....

A lot of cars have those, not just Fords. They work basically the same as a garage door. It wouldn't be terribly hard to make one out of stainless, aluminum, delrin, or plastic, with the right small machine tools, either.
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not get a little inventive with it.
How about a sliding shifter bar like out of early camaro (I think)
Make it out of polished aluminum, it could sit nice and low giving you ample access to your stereo
If you used weak gas struts to dampen the movement you should get a good feel out of it

And it would look smexy
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Strappado

79 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Went back to take a look at those old gm shifters, but they are too tall and pivot too much

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This is a really rough sketch of what i'm talking about

The Green is a gas strut to give it that smooth glide feel
Blue would be sliders
The black strip with holes would be a piece of steel with holes and you would have a ball and spring mounted on the left armature to "click" in at your shift points
kinda like the ratchet ball that keeps your sockets on.

Just a loose idea

[This message has been edited by Strappado (edited 04-17-2014).]

Rik

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RikSend a Private Message to RikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for the sake of clarity...that first shot from Strappado in an AMC, not a GM....
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Some good ideas here. I'll have to see if I'm equal to the task. I'll let you know what I come up with.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen cars with black bristles, like brush bristles inside the shifter plate to hide things. It could be done by getting long bristles, gluing them across the opening underneath the shifter, then razoring or using scissors up the center where the shifter will travel to cut them. Hope you can picture what I am talking about.....

A stiff piece of rubber glued to the underside with a slit down the center would work as well.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-18-2014).]

BassClefJeff

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BassClefJeffSend a Private Message to BassClefJeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My HHR has a nice snake head shifter with the sliding tambor covering the opening.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really what you are asking but............ Could you lengthen the arm on the shifter, where the cable hooks on, or shorten the arm on the trans to make the total movement of the shifter less. It might be able to make the original parts fit - even though you don't like them.

------------------
woodys 427

PFF
System Bot
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I was thinking of trying the bristle thing too. I have moved on to other parts of the swap for now but will come back to this. Actually fired it up for the first time tonight but had to shut it down after a minute or so due to a biiiiiiiiig transmission cooler line leak. More to come.

DF

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock