1988 Fiero Headlight Question? by jon2009
Started on: 04-12-2014 11:17 PM
Replies: 5 (216 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-13-2014 01:09 PM
jon2009

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey,

Been having some problems with the headlights recently. When i hold the hood up, the headlights have some play but they eventually raise up. Right when i drop the hood, the headlights struggle to rise. The car came with no service manual, so it's hard to diagnose.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your motors need to be rebuilt. The good news is that the rebuild kit costs about $5 and you can do it over lunch and still have time to eat lunch. Do a search on 87-88 headlight rebuild.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Your motors need to be rebuilt. The good news is that the rebuild kit costs about $5 and you can do it over lunch and still have time to eat lunch. Do a search on 87-88 headlight rebuild.

For the most part this is true, if the issue is the 3 plastic pucks that transmit the torque from the plastic gear to the metal part pressed on the shaft.

I just recently had one go bad on my 88. I pulled it apart expecting to see the plastic pucks had turned to powder, but instead the metal part that was pressed on the shaft was spinning. I drilled the metal part and shaft and pinned them together and everything works again.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have only encountered one situation where the three plastic pegs didn't fix the problem.
One of my large plastic gears had a crack in it, which allowed the perimeter (and teeth) of the gear to push out-of-round just slightly. This caused it to bind the small drive gear which, in turn, would cause the motor to shut off.
With the hood open, the headlight worked pretty normally. With the hood closed, it took too much force (and current) to raise the light. Fortunately I had a spare gear.

But it's probably the plastic pegs.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
But it's probably the plastic pegs.

Sorry I should have qualified that 99% of the time the $5 rebuild kit will fix the problem. I've never run into a situation where that was not true.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock