so I just opened the door for my buddies to make jokes at me by racingfortheson
Started on: 04-12-2014 01:12 AM
Replies: 10 (428 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 04-13-2014 07:58 PM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've built quite a few cars. I've have always added a fire extinguisher for that just in case moment. So I've been thinking of adding one in the Fiero. I already get the, "That thing is a fire trap" or "Everyone I remember burned up" crap. Am I just adding fuel to the fire? I'm not to worried about the Fiero bursting into flames as I have no oil leaks and the recall was done on the car. Just a habit and something I put in all my builds.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that every car should have a big fire extinguisher in it. With all the plastic in cars these days they really go up in flames once they get started. I've seen people stand by helplessly while a car turns into a huge bonfire and I've seen the other side too, where someone from another car runs up with a fire extinguisher and saves the day.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tell them "This is a very rare Fiero. It's the last one. All the others burned up and I'm just being sure this one doesn't."
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one in mine, but its there because it was a requirement to run it at LS Fest (autocross & 1/4 mile).
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I think that every car should have a big fire extinguisher in it. With all the plastic in cars these days they really go up in flames once they get started. I've seen people stand by helplessly while a car turns into a huge bonfire and I've seen the other side too, where someone from another car runs up with a fire extinguisher and saves the day.

You should always have one in your car, just in case! You could get a front-compartment fire due to that little resistor, or you might use it to put out a fire in someone else's car...

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

I've built quite a few cars. I've have always added a fire extinguisher for that just in case moment. So I've been thinking of adding one in the Fiero. I already get the, "That thing is a fire trap" or "Everyone I remember burned up" crap. Am I just adding fuel to the fire? I'm not to worried about the Fiero bursting into flames as I have no oil leaks and the recall was done on the car. Just a habit and something I put in all my builds.

Tell them you want to prepared to put out a burning FORD Escape.
http://www.reuters.com/arti...dUSBRE9AP0ST20131126

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep one in mine, and had to use it one day on the way home from work - on someone else's car. I was at a light, and I noticed the car in front of me had a lot of smoke coming from the driver's side front brake. As the light turned red, I was ready to pass the car when I saw flames licking from the wheel, and going up into the engine compartment. I honked at the driver, but he kept going. When we got to the next light, I jumped out, grabbed my fire extinguisher ran to his car and stuck the nozzle behind the wheel and pulled the trigger. The driver was an elderly man who got out and was shocked to see his car on fire. We thought the fire was out, but it flared back up. I called 911, and let the rest of the agent go into the wheel well and up into the engine compartment. The fire department was right across the street and down the road a few hundred feet, so they were there in no time, which was fortunate, because the fire flared back up right as they pulled up.

He had a dragging brake that got hot enough to melt the brake line. Once the brake fluid lit up, it was hard to get out. When I replaced the extinguisher, I bought a larger one. Lesson learned for me was the small one might not be enough to put out a fuel/oil fire.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

I already get the, "That thing is a fire trap" or "Everyone I remember burned up" crap. Am I just adding fuel to the fire? I'm not to worried about the Fiero bursting into flames as I have no oil leaks and the recall was done on the car. Just a habit and something I put in all my builds.

So you're thinking of NOT putting an extinguisher in your car, just because your buddies are razzing you? Seriously? Having an extinguisher in your car is always a good idea, no matter what car it is. Period. End of Story.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

So you're thinking of NOT putting an extinguisher in your car, just because your buddies are razzing you? Seriously? Having an extinguisher in your car is always a good idea, no matter what car it is. Period. End of Story.

+1 +1 +1 !
wolf63

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i hear ya :-) ive got an extinguisher in my almost stock 84 2m4 and the guys at work give me a little good natured ribbing. its ok though, it is what it is, i have a no-recall 84, the very model and year that started the whole "they catch fire" thing. not being prepared for what might one day happen is just un-wise. maybe someday i'll need it whether for my car or another's. may be i wont.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An extinguisher is always a good idea, and your friends are only razzing you because their your friends. Take it, and then dish it back in good fun.

jim
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock