Only Fiero at car show by racingfortheson
Started on: 04-10-2014 11:49 PM
Replies: 25 (1045 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 10-31-2022 04:40 PM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I when to this little car show thing that they do here at What-a-burger in Tyler, Tx. It was the first one this year with nice weather so I brought out my GT. Was just going to look but son wanted me to park with the other cars and pop open the hoods. There was around 100 cars there and a bunch of people. I really thought it was going to be small. 2 very nice kit AC Cobra's, one of them may have been real. And some super nice custom rides. I felt a lil cheesy with my car at first. I mean don't get me wrong, my lil Fiero is nice but I was parked with a chop top 30's Ford on one side and a 60's Corvette on the other. I just smiled sheepishly as I walk away to look at the other cars. Eveytime I looked over someone was checking my lil car out. Had one girl, couldn't have been 25, almost run over dragging her man saying, "Holy Cow, look at the Fiero." It doesn't turn a lot of heads driving it around, but everyone who walked by stopped. Made me feel good to see people who didn't even know what it was really checking it out. Now I look forward to the next time I can make a local car shop or Cruse Night.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took mine to a cruise in at a local rod shop and parked away from everyone till couple people asked about it . " that sure sounded good , what V8 is in it?" So i finally parked it closer to the other cars and opened it up, It actually got a decent amount of attention which was very unexpected...

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

tucson86fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tucson86fieroSend a Private Message to tucson86fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thumbs up bro!
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a regular at a few cruises around here and been the lone Fiero at probably 95% of them over the last seven years; the feedback has always been positive. Lot of people either had or knew someone in high school or something with one back in the day.

[This message has been edited by jonrev (edited 10-29-2022).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, I guess a lot of people who aren't obsessed like us have forgotten about the Fiero.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get mine around to a few "regular" car shows and cruise ins. You never know what you'll get, in general spectators like them because they are unique, (and in some ways nice ones are rare). Some car guys and gals who brought something else will like them, some will just see teh 1984 fire reports. Some are convinced "its gotta be hard to find part for those" or "those are murder to work on". Some would appreciate them more if they had a V8 in them. Most people dont have a clue they came with two common engines and many common parts, and to me are easier to work on than many actual front wheel drive cars (even though our set up is FWD but in the back) For the folks that had one in high school or had a friend with one in high school it inspired alot of talking.

Lots of younger folks never even heard of them.
You can take them to shows with pride, while remembering that everyone's got an opinion.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I go to a lot of car shows and cruise nights and am often the only Fiero around. Comments and attention are generally positive, people enjoy seeing Fieros. Once in while you hear negative comments, but it doesn't bother me much.
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I treat mine as a daily driver. It's nice but just a plain Jane base model. I am always getting comments and thumbs up from people. They are technically a classic car. And they are so cool! Everybody loves them I thought?
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

I go to a lot of car shows and cruise nights and am often the only Fiero around. Comments and attention are generally positive, people enjoy seeing Fieros. Once in while you hear negative comments, but it doesn't bother me much.

Ditto....it's rare for me to see another Fiero at a car show but it just makes you stand out all the more.
On a different note...I have learned that you don't have to fear what others have brought to the show or who you're parked next to. For what it is, the Fiero is one hellava car and can hold its own.

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 04-11-2014).]

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is usually the only one at shows here in Ohio. One time I parked by a $80,000 Mustang and the Fiero got more attention.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good job. Cars cruise in/shows are fun. In the summer I usually go to 2 or 3 a week. Not so much now that I really dont have anything. I do sometimes show the Sebring just for fun, never to expect anything though. Does get as much interest as any other late model car. When I was taking one of my Fieros, I almost always was the only one there. Even the kits were usually the only ones...except for all the Cobra replicas. Those are a dime a dozen so I never built one. Since real Cobras are pretty valuable now, I doubt if you ever see a real one at anything other than a national or prestigeous show. Both you seen were most likely kits. Some are just a lot better than others. One even makes (SuperPerformance, I think) makes an all aluminum body kit just like the original. Just take yours to all the shows you can and enjoy all the company with car people.
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Lambo replica is not a show car, but gets lots of attention from show viewers which just pisses off all the guys who have been meticulous in their preparation. I don't even park it with the show cars. I feel bad because I really like cars and talking to car guys. I'm betting that you guys with nicely prepped Fieros get much better acceptance than I do.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my second Fiero, I once was considering a Vet but talk about a dime a dozen, I got board looking at them. I would trade in my Fiero for a Pantera which is rear engine also and I think American made. But the charm of a Fiero is that your imagination is almost the only limit on what can be done to them. But I have never had time or the nerve to mess with my completely stock 88. if my wife would not have my head I would buy another one just to modify.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Imnuts

605 posts
Member since Jun 2013
I know, I know, I should have looked before I spoke about where the Pantera was made but it does have a Ford motor, that's what threw me off. That's the best excuse I gone a give.
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

My Lambo replica is not a show car, but gets lots of attention from show viewers which just pisses off all the guys who have been meticulous in their preparation. I don't even park it with the show cars. I feel bad because I really like cars and talking to car guys. I'm betting that you guys with nicely prepped Fieros get much better acceptance than I do.

I have taken mine to a couple shows people who come to the show like it , other " car guys" ignore it ( one even told me to come back when I get a real car )
and the judges don't stop to even look at it just walk by. They say it is not a real collector car . but then most car shows around here are
far two many mustangs and vettes or Cords , Auburns or duesnbergs.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly! We're outcasts. I like Fieros and I like the old style hot rods too. I'm a car guy and I don't want to be relegated to the "kit car" group to be accepted. I hate the term "kit cars" too. 99% of them are not "kits". Oh well. For what it's worth I get more acceptance from Fiero guys than anyone other group. It probably helps that I have a Fiero collection too, but I think that Fiero guys are just more open minded. Except for their politics. That's ok.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes the Pantera is Italian, made by DeTomaso. They did use a Ford engine. I think mostly 302 and 351 cu in. I dont know if they had any bigger. Its a true mid engine with Ferrari and Lambo. They are notorious rust buckets.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been there, done that, got the trophy too. That really pissed off these Camaro boys. Haha

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2022 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love being the only Fiero at a show, gets so much attention here in Ohio. I won 2 trophies and 2 wall plaques this summer.
This is the first time I ended up in a row of 4 mid engine cars this past weekend. Could not talk any of them into doing an even trade.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2022 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

Love being the only Fiero at a show, gets so much attention here in Ohio. I won 2 trophies and 2 wall plaques this summer.
This is the first time I ended up in a row of 4 mid engine cars this past weekend. Could not talk any of them into doing an even trade.

Was at a show with nearly 100 exotics 50 plus Ferraris alone. Yet my Fiero and my Buddies had a long stream of people stopping by and making a fuss over our cars even in a field of so many mega cars.

Let’s put it this way near by we’re F40, Miura, P1 and just about anything you could name.

No trades but I did get to sit in the Miura and F40.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2022 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our 86 SE silver notchie was a very clean example. Got a lot of attention at the few shows we went to.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2022 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! The Pantera was my first....car-love (We were boaters so I liked boats, not cars)

My dentist bought a Pantera in '72 and probably could of pulled a tooth without novocain with me staring at his Pantera. They were all 351C 4bbls until very late in life when a few were made with 5.0 FI engines.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started going to our local Cars and Coffee meetings this year, with a more varied group of cars and people I get a lot of interest in my car. The sound normally draws a few people as I pull in, but still get a lot of interest once parked, even surrounded by Ferrari's and other high end cars. Should have started going to this show earlier, a great experience.

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2022 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mafv8:

I started going to our local Cars and Coffee meetings this year, with a more varied group of cars and people I get a lot of interest in my car. The sound normally draws a few people as I pull in, but still get a lot of interest once parked, even surrounded by Ferrari's and other high end cars. Should have started going to this show earlier, a great experience.

This is my experience.

What is funny is I have stock V6 and many ask it is a V8 due to the sound.

What is cool is when you open the lid and while it may be a V6 the factory dress up is not what they expect.

The Fiero is the relatable exotic. It is the odd car compared to most but many had a connection to it it to one since there was so many.

Back in the day hen I bought mine new I may as well have has a big dollar car as it always attracted attention.

Over the year I had a few detractors but since mine is modified even in the dark years inwould hear often I hate Fiero’s but like yours.

Today I get people always taking photos and asking questions.

I have never had a regret as my car opened many doors to events. It got me on track at Indy and Mid Ohio. It has been on display at a GM plant with GM collection cars. I have won events I could only dream of in my Chevelle SS. Met many people,e some are great friends now and even a celebrity or two.

The car saved my life in a crash too. So I have kind of bonded and no matter what other cars come or go there will always be a place for this car.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2022 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

This is my second Fiero, I once was considering a Vet but talk about a dime a dozen, I got board looking at them. I would trade in my Fiero for a Pantera which is rear engine also and I think American made. But the charm of a Fiero is that your imagination is almost the only limit on what can be done to them. But I have never had time or the nerve to mess with my completely stock 88. if my wife would not have my head I would buy another one just to modify.

Don’t forget the charm of knowing you have $80,000 left in your bank account NOT spent on a car while still smiling ear to ear about the happiness it brings you. Wouldn’t give up Fieros for any other car. I will always have one!!!!!!!!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2022 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
Over the year I had a few detractors but since mine is modified even in the dark years inwould hear often I hate Fiero’s but like yours.

Today I get people always taking photos and asking questions.

You've been here, literally forever, but I can't recall ever seeing any pics of your car.
Have you got any to share?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock