Started on: 04-07-2014 03:37 PM
Replies: 51 (1564 views)
Last post by: tshark on 04-26-2014 05:41 AM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This might be a fun one as a Monday distraction. As an owner of all of these makes I can tell you that the Delorean's interior is darn near that of my Fiero's. I can see plenty of "inspiration" taken from the DMC-12. That aside, of the three which order would you place them in, say highest to lowest, in terms of keep-ability (or collectability)? For sake of simplicity one through three, 1) most to 3) least dear.

MERA, Fiero, or Delorean??? You decide. Post em' up!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Delorean 2. MERA 3.Fiero I think that the model year of the MERA makes no difference. By that I mean that I would consider an 87 MERA more desirable than an 88 Fiero.
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having seen all your cars that's a tough one. Love the cop top v8 and the indy,the mera and delorean look new. Maybe if borrow one for a day i could make up my mind.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

Having seen all your cars that's a tough one. Love the cop top v8 and the indy,the mera and delorean look new. Maybe if borrow one for a day i could make up my mind.

seems only fair.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero, Delorean, Mera for me.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
deloren,fiero ,mera

Never really liked the Mera
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero, Mera, Delorian. I really have no desire to own a Delorian. The Mera is ... meh. I'd rather have an actual 308.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

... I'd rather have an actual 308.

One of our guys has a V8 Mera. He hears this SO often from people who NEVER buy a 308 either

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After owning a 308 and the MERA I would take a MERA any day...and twice on Sunday. The 308 was quirky, as all Italian cars are. The electrics were horrible. The engine inspection and belt change alone would have bought a nearly new Fiero. The sound of the 308 was pretty lovely but the costs were heart wrenching. Needless to say the 308 is gone and the MERA is still here.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 - Delorean 2- Mera - 3 Fiero
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Mera
2. Delorean
3. Fiero

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a tough one. Do you mean rate them as if we owned them?

Then it would be Mera-Delorean-Fiero

If it's in order of which I'd rather buy it flips on it's head

Fiero-Delorean-Mera

The reason is I personally would rather have a car that is more accessible and not worry about hunting down a museum piece.
PsychoPimpKiller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoPimpKillerSend a Private Message to PsychoPimpKillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

1 - Delorean 2- Mera - 3 Fiero

I agree with this, although I do love my Fiero.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ha! tooo funny!

well ........I want to put the engine from my black Fiero into my 87 Mera. just got a PM from OleJoedad, today even
I love driving my 3800 SC Fiero but I love being seen Driving the Mera.
if my dreams come true. life will never be the same, again
the only problem here actually is that I don't already own the '86 prototype Mera
so that way, I can remain a Mera purist, "Kinda"

I am at #1 BlackDynamite #2 Mera X and a new electric DeLorean and we are good to go

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 04-08-2014).]

MrMWS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrMWSSend a Private Message to MrMWSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mera, Fiero, Delorean
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In order of what I like personally: 1-Delorean, 2-Mera, 3-Fiero

But in order of what I would have if I could choose: 1-Fiero, 2-Mera, 3-Delorean

That is because with a Delorean I would soon get sick & tired of hearing the same old flux capacitor jokes every time I stop at a gas station or whatever.
And people don't know what a Mera is, so I would get tired of explaining it.
They don't often know what a Fiero is either, but it's much easier to explain. And the response is usually "Cool".
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DeLorean, Fiero, Mera

Especially an engine swapped DeLorean:

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the real collector world here is the list.

1 Delorean since they are low in number and their history tied to John Delorean give them that Tucker like appeal. They are a unique car with a unique story. Now that is not to say they will be worth as much as a Tucker as there are too many of them for that kind of value. I would think Pantera money someday.

2 Mera just because it looks like a Ferrari. The looks will appeal to anyone Fiero fan or not. The fact it is a Mera means little to most people as outside the Fiero people. Most folks have no clue what it is when they hear Mera but they when they see it they say Ferrari or Nice kit car. The fact is it is a well constructed and reliable car at a working mans price. It will never make you rich but it will always demand a little more than a Fiero price.

3 Fiero's I am sad to say are on the bottom of the list here. Just too damn many of them and too little interest from the general public. If we could only garner the interest that a Mustang or Camaro demands we would be sitting pretty. Now many people have a interest in out car but sadly not all of them would want to own one too. Our cars future will be much like the Corvair. Under appreciated for many years and one day they will be appreciated like the Corvair is today. But too many of us are sitting on good condition models and too little demand to make them rare. I expect most Fiero's in number 1 or 2 condition will be worth as much or more than they were new in the next 10 years. That is better than most cars as few from the 80's will ever be values at that amount.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero, Delorean, Mera

Over a decade ago I chose to focus entirely on Fieros for some reason, but the Delorean would be a fun car to play with as well, so if I happen to come across one for the right price I may think hard about purchasing it. A couple of years ago I did a SBC swap in a Mera and had it in my garage for a few months. The styling never really appealed to me (not a fan of the actual 308 styling either) and I was amazed at how much heavier the hood and decklid were from the stock Fiero pieces.
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Fiero, Delorean, Mera

Over a decade ago I chose to focus entirely on Fieros for some reason...

Same here, and for the same reason.

Lifelong GM and Pontiac fan, so it was only natural for me to look for a Pontiac when I wanted a "hobby" car. The Fiero's unique engineering, styling and history made it particularly interesting to me.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Delorean, Delorean, ummm Delorean. If there's room hang on to the other two keep them as well. I've driven a Delorean and other than the hassle of drive through fast food windows through the tiny Delorean windows, I lifted the door which was the only good way to do it, the DMC-12 was one of the most fun cars to cruise in. I've driven Corvettes, big block Camaros, Pantera, etc.... but the Delorean was just fun!
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mera, Fiero, Delorean.

I like the mid engined, sidewinder design, and the Mera is a good looking, affordable low production car.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Delorean
2. Fiero
3. Mera.

Don't get rid of ANY of them.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Delorean, Mera and then Fiero.

Just because I have had many Fieros....
Delorean would be fun for while. Mera would be more practical.
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

1. Delorean
2. Fiero
3. Mera.

Don't get rid of ANY of them.

Yes agree, keep them all John!

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 04-09-2014).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mera (im biased) fiero, delorean.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

In order of what I like personally: 1-Delorean, 2-Mera, 3-Fiero

But in order of what I would have if I could choose: 1-Fiero, 2-Mera, 3-Delorean

That is because with a Delorean I would soon get sick & tired of hearing the same old flux capacitor jokes every time I stop at a gas station or whatever.
And people don't know what a Mera is, so I would get tired of explaining it.
They don't often know what a Fiero is either, but it's much easier to explain. And the response is usually "Cool".

the mera is easy..... just tell um its a Ferrari lol

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Mera (im biased) fiero, delorean.

Dude.... You need to see this Delorean.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, they are all nice cars. Having seen your examples in person, I'd have to rate them as follows:

1. Mera - This is a beautiful example. If is sharp, somewhat rare, and fairly easy to find parts for. Caring for it is a different issue. I wouldn't want to be responsible for caring for such a nice car. While being its own car, it has all the benefits of a Fiero, but few of the shortcomings of a Ferrari. And it's my favorite color.
2. Fiero - In general, I don't like chop-tops or widebodies, and there are some things I would have to change with this one. The Indy is nice and unique. Despite its shortcomings and issues, I would do my best to keep it. I like my '88, and I understand that that chop-top is an Archie job, but it isn't the car for me. If we were discussing Paul Vargyas' CJB ride, I'd take it, any day. Being all original, the '84 Indy was a nice inclusion in our group.
3. DeLorean - These are nice to look at. I couldn't afford to maintain this car. Parts can be had, but what is the point of a Back to the Future car that doesn't have all the goodies? I wouldn't want to drive the BTFF car, though. I don't understand the design, and what I do understand would seem to be an example of done wrong.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drive a Delorean, they are a blast!
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

John, they are all nice cars. Having seen your examples in person, I'd have to rate them as follows:

3. DeLorean - These are nice to look at. I couldn't afford to maintain this car. Parts can be had, but what is the point of a Back to the Future car that doesn't have all the goodies? I wouldn't want to drive the BTFF car, though.

John's is a Back to the Future car?

I think I have his confused with someone else's.

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Delorean is a 14,389 mile 99.5% original car. The only things non original are hoses (replacements are DMC), belts (replacements are Gates), Tires, and all fluids. plus I changed all the original light bulbs with LED models to drop the draw on the alternator. The electrical system on these cars are known weak points as they are almost maxed out...dropping the draw helps a great deal.

While I do enjoy seeing BTTF cars mine will never be anything but original. My Indy, MERA, 88 GT T-Top and Hulki's 88 GT are all the same way: Original. The 88 GT T-Top is even original down to the wires and tires! BTW, I saved all the Delorean original stuff so it could be placed back to original.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess it deends on the reason youd want to sell some.
It might be hard to find another Nice Delorean.
But then I dont know what this one cost you either.
Are any of these sentimental value?

Need inpuuuuuut
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

My Delorean is a 14,389 mile 99.5% original car. The only things non original are hoses (replacements are DMC), belts (replacements are Gates), Tires, and all fluids. plus I changed all the original light bulbs with LED models to drop the draw on the alternator. The electrical system on these cars are known weak points as they are almost maxed out...dropping the draw helps a great deal.

While I do enjoy seeing BTTF cars mine will never be anything but original. My Indy, MERA, 88 GT T-Top and Hulki's 88 GT are all the same way: Original. The 88 GT T-Top is even original down to the wires and tires! BTW, I saved all the Delorean original stuff so it could be placed back to original.

Yup, I would rather have an original vehicle, vs a heavily modifed one (engine conversions, body work, etc). My only exception would be a convertible.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I guess it deends on the reason youd want to sell some.
It might be hard to find another Nice Delorean.
But then I dont know what this one cost you either.
Are any of these sentimental value?

Need inpuuuuuut

This was just an exercise to see what other folks thought.

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This was just an exercise to see what other folks thought.

I know that you know this, but it really dosen't mater what others think.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

1. Mera - This is a beautiful example. If is sharp, somewhat rare, and fairly easy to find parts for. Caring for it is a different issue. I wouldn't want to be responsible for caring for such a nice car. While being its own car, it has all the benefits of a Fiero, but few of the shortcomings of a Ferrari. And it's my favorite color.

feeling the "caring for it" part , some of the places I hang out at and I got $1200 vintage Ferrari mirrors, and some pretty hard to find body panels to worry about......my dream is to have a 3800 SC Mera X to run the race tracks with.....but the thought of going off track hurts my bones

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

buuuuuuuut.......if the Mera had a 3800 SC in it then it would feel like the car 'twas once molded after
one day I hope to do just that
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

Dude.... You need to see this Delorean.

They just don't do it for me... Sure they are nice but I kinda think they are a bit ugly
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

DeLorean, Fiero, Mera

Especially an engine swapped DeLorean:

That's cool, but a lot of weight appear to be behind the rear axle.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock