Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Feeling things out. What plastic components are in need of reproduction?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Feeling things out. What plastic components are in need of reproduction? by retroman
Started on: 04-06-2014 11:44 AM
Replies: 31 (747 views)
Last post by: JimmyS on 04-14-2014 04:35 AM
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently accepted a corporate level position at plastics company. I feel that this is a perfect opportunity to feel out the feasibility of bringing some hard to find components back from the dead. The company is capable of high and low volume production as well as prototyping. They also design and build their own molds. I think it would be easiest to list smaller Fiero components first, but if there is a large item with enough demand, I may be able to convince my bosses that it's worth doing a run. So that said, please feel free to start making suggestions. Thanks!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems folks are always asking for the skeleton for the center console.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GT Tail lights, GT Quarter windows (with the correct shape- see PokeyFiero. He may still have his stuff), ash tray doors.
jackhill83

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jackhill83Send a Private Message to jackhill83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah center console stuff since most peoples original stuff is warped
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
although it's not a small item, the part that I am perpetually in search of is the front air deflector on the 87 and 88 notchbacks.
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front license plate bracket
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The trim piece that contains the 12v/Cig lighter and has a cover over the ALDL plug. The holes on those always break and a replacement is nigh impossible to find.
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lens parts in general. Isn't the trunk light a part that usually fails? Dome lenses as well.

All the little trim parts that get overlooked. Actually if someone would make a nice full interior kit that actually replaces the parts rather than put wallpaper on it I bet that would sell.

You could see about making the glove box add on but I don't know if anyone actually wants that.
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im inline with the center console stuff. Radio and shift surrounds.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Radio surround face plates with the brushed metal finish, lighter trim piece, clear lenses for the auxiliary gauge pod. Generation 1 headlight motor gears since the ones currently available are not of the proper diameter and the teeth are malformed. Seat belt guide/recliner mechanism covers in the proper colors. Seat recliner handles that will last more than a few months.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Front license plate clips for aero
2. Plate over 12V power
3. Fiero Store version glove box
4. Center console, back to front
5. Back panel behind seats, without speakers

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 04-07-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkiker2089:
You could see about making the glove box add on but I don't know if anyone actually wants that.

Well, at least 3 other people want it.

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Radio surround face plates with the brushed metal finish, lighter trim piece, clear lenses for the auxiliary gauge pod. Generation 1 headlight motor gears since the ones currently available are not of the proper diameter and the teeth are malformed. Seat belt guide/recliner mechanism covers in the proper colors. Seat recliner handles that will last more than a few months.
All of these could easily be made.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ash tray doors and notchie tail light covers.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Well, at least 3 other people want it.

That would be the controlling factor. Selling enough parts to at least recover costs of the molds and tooling. I and so many others have encountered the I'll Take One encouragement then it takes 3 or 4 years to sell the pieces we've made.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Power window rocker switch push button. Not the whole switch but rather just the grey rockers which have a nasty tendency to get white and chalky, dirty looking and get worn thin at their edges. I know they make reproductions but they too are susceptible to the same problems.
Kit
P.S. GT horn button contact black plastic pin. People are forever asking for these in the Mall!

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 04-08-2014).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Power mirror rocker switch push button. Not the whole switch but rather just the grey rockers which have a nasty tendency to get white and chalky, dirty looking and get worn thin at their edges. I know they make reproductions but they too are susceptible to the same problems.
Kit
P.S. GT horn button contact black plastic pin. People are forever asking for these in the Mall!

Same for the gray hatch rocker!

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking GT tail lights. Probably just the lenses.
A radio trim plate with a Double DIN cutout. Maybe flip the radio and heater controls, so the heater controls are on the bottom.
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned T-top A-pillar and B-pillar caps (assuming there's enough demand. Somebody might already be doing these.)
I wouldn't mind having a blank console trim piece. Remove the hole where the lighter would go.
How about a panel that screws on underneath the bottom instrument panel cover, that provides storage pockets for cell phones and pens and such?
How about a replacement map light that uses LEDs instead of bulbs, and has room (or even a cutout) for a Homelink transmitter? (I put a Homelink in my overhead console. One of my favorite mods.)
I could get carried away with this.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-07-2014).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DIE, thread, DIE!

<bump>
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

DIE, thread, DIE!

<bump>

You are such a meanie!!! Why would you ruin someone's dreams with a harsh dose of reality???

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

You are such a meanie!!! Why would you ruin someone's dreams with a harsh dose of reality???

I was talking about ME.

I have a way of stopping interesting threads dead in their tracks, simply by posting in them.
I'd really like to see some new goodies.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they want something that would even cross to other cars, Shift knobs.

Spoiler stands might be another good one.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

I was talking about ME.

I have a way of stopping interesting threads dead in their tracks, simply by posting in them.
I'd really like to see some new goodies.

You too huh?
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm thinking GT tail lights.

I agree!

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I addition to some of the thing mentioned - gaskets for the rear spoiler and maybe the mirror ones as well.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 04-10-2014).]

retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, that's quite a Christmas list. Thanks. I had thought about GT lenses as I am also in need of them, and that may be a good place to start. Some of the interior pieces mentioned look promising as well since they apply to all years and don't require large molds to produce.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

That would be the controlling factor. Selling enough parts to at least recover costs of the molds and tooling. I and so many others have encountered the I'll Take One encouragement then it takes 3 or 4 years to sell the pieces we've made.

Yes, I know what you mean. Even people that have one for sale often don't reply. Of course, sometimes a part worth, say, $100 comes out for $600. I won't pay $600 for one, but $100 is in the ballpark.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by tesmith66:

GT Tail lights, GT Quarter windows (with the correct shape- see PokeyFiero. He may still have his stuff), ash tray doors.

I would like some better tail lights on my GT, but for $200 they had better NEVER delaminate.

Chris Cook makes GT quarter windows, but isn't the best communicator.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by BrittB:

Ash tray doors and notchie tail light covers.

The Fiero Store usually has ash tray doors.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014
How about caps for the screws in the armrests? My understanding is that there never were any, but it looks badly without.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

How about caps for the screws in the armrests? My understanding is that there never were any, but it looks badly without.

Russ88TTop has sourced these and the work very well. Drop him a note.

I second the switch covers in both gray and black. I am surprised that some enterprising person has actually sourced the switches (TFS parts are absolute garbage)

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 shipped to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Feeling things out. What plastic components are in need of reproduction?

ALL of them!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock