Have a chance to buy an 88 GT by pcgold
Started on: 04-06-2014 10:46 AM
Replies: 29 (939 views)
Last post by: canfirst on 04-28-2014 10:30 PM
pcgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an 88 GT near me for sale. It's black, T-Tops, automatic, 33k miles. It's in beautiful shape without any mods to it (except for the stereo and he has the original). It has new brakes, rotors and some front suspension work done to it.

Seller wants $13,500 Canadian, but I can probably get it for less. I know that's a little on the high side but what are your thoughts?

Here's are some pics

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Price is a little high, but if it is in perfect running order without leaks and absolutely no rust it would be worth it if you really plan on babying it and keeping it in the same condition. It you are wanting a daily driver I'd consider something a little more affordable. Although, if I could find a really good condition, low mileage fiero that had been well cared for and was essentially new, I'd love to have one as my daily driver instead of paying similar price for a little econ box kia or the like.

The T-Top headliner looks perfect! I doubt the car has seen too much rain if any at all! My T-Top had to have its headliner changed and it is rare to find one without water damage... The tray in front of the radio is aftermarket and the lugs on the wheels are not correct. I prefer the black covers or extended black lugs myself, but to each his own.

Looks really nice. I'd try to get the owner down as far as they will go and snatch that baby up. If you use it sparingly, it will hold its value and maybe (fingers crossed) appreciate down the road. Use it like it is new off the lot, and have a awesome car you can be proud of for many years to come for less than anything else you can buy today!

Good luck!

------------------
My Fiero...

88 Yellow CJB #182 of 1252 formula

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! I agree with the above post.... Nearly too nice to drive, and that may be an issue for you. For those who want T-top 88s, there are not a lot to pick from, and fewer in Canada, so the seller won't have to drop the price a lot. If you want a solid summer driver you should not have to pay over $7K, but this car is better than that.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been watching this it has been for sale for a while you can get that price down.
Awesome it has tttops but it's a auto that's the only downside..
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that the price is a tad bit high. When I purchased my 88 GT 3 or 4 years ago, which had 28K miles at the time of purchase, the price $12,500.00

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-06-2014).]

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sourmug, $12,500 for a Fiero GT 3 or 4 years ago would certainly be more now as vehicle prices have increased. Is your 88 Fiero GT a T-top? Also if you purchased the Fiero in the US, $12,500 US dollars is currently about $13,700 in Canadian currency and then one must consider Canada customs costs, brokerage fee's, and vehicle transport costs when importing a vehicle from the US into Canada. Checkout the 88 Fiero GT with T-Tops that sold awhile back on eBay, then an asking price of $13,500 Canadian or $12,150 US dollars is not unreasonable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ext...p=true&rt=nc&_trksid =p2047675.l2557

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 04-09-2014).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, did I offend you in some way?

My car is a Canadian car, so no currency conversion or import issues.

Your right about the T-tops, hadn't considered that.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-09-2014).]

canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sourmug, no not at all! I apologize if it sounded that way.
I was just expressing my opinion that like everything else, vehicle values have increased over the last 4 years, that's all.
BTW, where did you locate your Fiero?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a local car that was in a collection. The collector sold me his "high mileage" car and kept his 9000 km car.

I just realized I had a typo in my first post, may car was 28,000 km, not miles, when I purchased it.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-09-2014).]

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am actually very near this car, and Ill tell you no matter how good it is, he isn't going to get that price unless he is lucky,
kinda how this low mileage mint indy is still for sale, and I seen it up when I was looking for my first fiero which was last year , who knows how long before it was up two.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars...hNavigationFlag=true
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple more 88 Fiero GT's available in Canada (white one with T-Tops has LOTUS emblems? Ad is in French) for comparison:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto...hNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-clas...hNavigationFlag=true
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad you are so far away, there is a dealer in Sarasota Fl. advertising a 1988 with 29,000 miles for $5000. Its an auto but it looks to be in mint condition in the photos.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like a very nice, low mileage, clean car. Go with what you feel is a price you are comfortable paying. What does it matter what the rest of us think about the price. I think it is a fair price. Ask yourself "is it the one you want?" and if the answer is yes - buy it and never look back! I think it's a great find. Love the black paint!

Best of luck

------------------
woodys 427

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

It looks like a very nice, low mileage, clean car. Go with what you feel is a price you are comfortable paying. What does it matter what the rest of us think about the price. I think it is a fair price. Ask yourself "is it the one you want?" and if the answer is yes - buy it and never look back! I think it's a great find. Love the black paint!

Best of luck

This is good advice. Ultimately it boils down to what you are willing to pay if you want the car.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the last two posts, but you can use other sale prices as a tool to get it for a lower price.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought an immaculate '88 Formula in Feb 2008 for $10,000 in Windsor Ontario. It had 5,200 kilometers on it & everything but the battery & heater core were original. I would have paid more if necessary. After driving my '84 SE since new (now 364,000 kilometers) I was pleased to find a 'new' Fiero to enjoy as well; now I have one of the first & one of the last. Don't worry about what other people say. It's your choice/hobby/money/obsession/whatever. Lots of people spend lots more on lots of customization. That's cool & very interesting. I think it's also pretty cool to have an old 'original'.

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My opinion: this is a beautiful car. I think the price is fair and would have gladly paid that price when I was searching for a T-Top model in perfect condition. What the real question comes down to is would you be happy paying that price and driving that car? If you would then it doesn't matter what other think. You will always find some that say yes and some that say no when it comes to deals.
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the vin# on this Fiero.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nearly identical 88 T-Top Fiero GT that sold on eBay in February 2014 for $8900 USD (no trunk opener and no front license holder)
http ://www.ebay.com/itm/198...rksid=p2047675.l2557

$ 9540 current Canadian equivalent for $8900 USD
$ 582 add for A/C excise tax + 5% GST
$ 1878 add for transport cost
$ 400 add for customs broker & temporary insurance
$ 1100 add for typical repairs to pass safety inspection
$13500 more realistic cost to import Fiero to Canada

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 04-19-2014).]

canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Low mileage white 1988 T-Top Fiero GT listed on eBay for $10k.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/fie...&hash=item338db46140

Shortly after listing this T-Top, the Seller decided to increase the price to $12K.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...33&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
PFF
System Bot
Codeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodemanSend a Private Message to CodemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I bought an immaculate '88 Formula in Feb 2008 for $10,000 in Windsor Ontario. It had 5,200 kilometers on it & everything but the battery & heater core were original.

Glad you're still enjoying it. Seems like it went to a great home!
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd offer $10K US and see if he takes it. It's definitely a nice and rare low mileage 88 with T-Tops though...
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ford/Chevy. Coke/Pepsi. etc, etc. Different tastes for everyone. Like the others said, find what YOU like. I would prefer the 5 speed, unless you would always use this in town. Engine rpm is much higher on the automatic on the highway. As far as prices go, they go the entire spectrum. There has been a fully loaded 88 GT on EBay, from Washington State, with only 300 miles, but he wants $40,000. I bought an 88 GT 5 speed with 56,000 miles for $6,500. Paul Vargyas of Northern Illinois Fiero Enthusiasts (NIFE) writes a letter every year about pricing of Fieros. It is excellent reading, showing pros and cons of the different elements of putting a value on a Fiero. Maybe someone with more tech knowledge could post a link to that.
Much of the thrill is in the hunt. When I decided to find an 88, I searched and negotiated for 3-4 months before pulling the trigger. Happy hunting!
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have decided not to buy this particular car. Not because it isn't a good car and not because of the price (we have agreed on a price that I feel is fair to both). I am not buying it because of the mileage. It's too low. That's not a bad thing, but given my personality, I would cringe every time I saw the odometer move. To me, much of the value of this car is because it is an unmolested low mileage Fiero. I couldn't bear to drive it. That's not why I want a car. I want something I can have some fun with, even if for just the occasional Sunday drive. I would enjoy owning this car, but not driving it.

I am going to continue to look for an 88 GT (hopefully T-roofs and a 5 speed). Thanks all for your comments.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 88 GT T top for $4,500.00. 98K on the odometer, black (decent paint), all original (not modded), automatic. A Texas "no rust" Fiero.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Message from the Fiero's... we are not rare expensive cars and we will never be a true collectors car. We were made to DRIVE and if you take care of us we will provide you with miles and miles of smiles!
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I totally agree with BlackThunder. I almost feel sorry for the cars that are "trailer queens". These cars will never be worth big bucks. They are fun to drive, and their classic styling still looks good today. Drive them while you still can. If you had a beautiful woman, would you just keep her in an apartment, and never take her out?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ummm....that would probably land you in jail.....

cars are cars...people are people... the comparison is not a good one, except perhaps to say that I would never put a bra on my Fiero.
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 T-Top Fiero GT at Mecum Auction. High bid was $13,000 and did not sell.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068946.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock