Does it matter which year the ls4 is by rodrigo
Started on: 04-05-2014 03:18 AM
Replies: 4 (469 views)
Last post by: Sourmug on 04-05-2014 02:26 PM
rodrigo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys I'm about to purchase an 87 gt and deciding wich v8 to go with this gt has 107k miles and it's a 5 speed I'm considering the ls4 engine and I'm wondering does it matter the year that I get it are certain years different to work with like the northstar engines and also wanted to know if there are some plug and play harnesses and computers out there I'm also going to be keeping the 5 speed tranny ok so I would appreciate to be pointed in the best direction [img][IMG]http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/rodrigoyclaudia/Mobile%20Uploads/FC0A3964-C95B-45DD-8294-19C78F51F821_ zps5zkjn4lg.jpg[/IMG][/img]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodrigo:

Hi guys I'm about to purchase an 87 gt and deciding wich v8 to go with this gt has 107k miles and it's a 5 speed I'm considering the ls4 engine and I'm wondering does it matter the year that I get it are certain years different to work with like the northstar engines and also wanted to know if there are some plug and play harnesses and computers out there I'm also going to be keeping the 5 speed tranny ok so I would appreciate to be pointed in the best direction [img][IMG]http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/rodrigoyclaudia/Mobile%20Uploads/FC0A3964-C95B-45DD-8294-19C78F51F821_ zps5zkjn4lg.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Joe (fieroking) sells harnesses. I think that he sells mounts too and he just developed a low mount for the alternator.
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there an email or website wear I can go to
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 05/06 years are Gen 3 (24x) and the 07+ years are Gen 4 (58x). All are DBW with DoD/AFM. Mechanically, they are the exact same (MAP sensor location did change positions), but the Gen 4 ECMs will require the BCM to be installed to retain the electronic cruise and have the A/C request signal go to the ECM (you can still run A/C with a Gen 4). The Gen 3 ECM still have a VE table, so it is much easier and more precise to tune VE. The Gen 4 ECM does not have a VE table and instead uses coefficient equations and requires the use of conversion software to generate a virtual VE table and some accuracy is lost in the conversion to and from the Virtual VE table (1-4%).

Your challenge with the wanting to keep the stock manual transmission is going to be the starter. The LS4 does not have a starter mount on the engine, and doesn't have room for one without major work to the oil pan to fit one under there. If you try to keep the starter in the stock LS4 location on the transmission side, it will interfere with the clutch release lever on the 4 speed, Getrag 5 speed, and Isuzu. The HTOB transmissions (92-94 HTOB Getrag, F23, F40) are better suited for a bolt on starter mount.

Here is a bolt on starter mount for the F40. This places the starter in the stock LS4 position.

I made a fixture of the stock LS4 starter mount off the 4T65e-hd and then used it to make that mount. The mount pad is 3/8" thick and rests under this fixture. In the following pictures I slide the fixture onto an Isuzu case and you can see the cross shaft is right where the starter needs to be:

Here I slid it in place on a 92-94 HTOB getrag - plenty of room for the starter mount plate:

Every transmission will have to be clearanced to slide the starter plate into place, and the amount depends on the transmission used (the F40 has 2 large transmission mount bolt bosses that must be removed) and all will have to have this pocket cut out as well:

You can also mount the starter down low in the stock fiero position (but on the transmission), but then the starter starts to interfere with the transmission mount.

------------------
fieroguruperformance.com

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 04-05-2014).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodrigo:

Is there an email or website wear I can go to

Look here: https://sites.google.com/site/fierokingcustoms/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock