Started on: 04-04-2014 05:22 PM
Replies: 39 (999 views)
Last post by: Sourmug on 05-06-2014 10:05 AM
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo hoo!

My present arrived today, I love my wife!

Can't wait to get it installed! I'll post my progress but it probably won't start till next week.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

And for us Canadians: http://www.costco.ca/Dannma...roduct.10344259.html

I'm so excited!

Nolan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan,

You have a SWANK wife...you better take care of her!

And Happy B-Day!

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

A lift in your garage will change everything. Makes working on the car 100x easier.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, Nolan.

Bob
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I'm jealous.
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice Nolan!!! That will be sweet

Jeff
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy birthday!

Please do a review of that lift, I've had my eye on one for a /long/ time, just haven't gotten the opportunity to bite the bullet yet. Want to pretty badly though.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

I'm planning on doing a review as well. I'll let everyone know how the installation and operation goes.

Nolan
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm absolutely looking forward to it. I've helped install one back in New York. They aren't that bad to install at all. Wish you the best with it.
iluvsd619

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice!
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool!!...I'm waiting for my dad to get his project car off the lift so I can do some investigation on mine.

Love the Maxx Jaxx

Dan
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does she have a sister?

HAPPY B-DAY!!
SoCal Jim

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SoCal JimSend a Private Message to SoCal JimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, but. i"m 6 ft 2". It lifts 48". I aint working on my knees. Unless its a space / height issues a full size lift,2 or four leg is about the same money. I am about to build / order a steel garage. My design will be tall on one side / peak of the roof off set. So that a lift will be possible. Worst case the lift will go outside.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6'3" so I understand what you are saying. Our building codes limit garage construction to 10 foot clear maximum so a full height lift would be an issue. This lift fits my needs and I plan on using a roller chair.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-06-2014).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by fireboss:

Does she have a sister?

HAPPY B-DAY!!

Nope, only a brother.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very nice! Now we have a place to change our clutches!

(hey, we all know what happens to the guy who buys a pickup truck )

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-07-2014).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Looks very nice! Now we have a place to change our clutches!

(hey, we all know what happens to the guy who buys a pickup truck )

Doh!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, did some measuring tonight.

The first question is - "how far apart do I place the posts? The Maxjax instructions come with a few suggestions:

All dimensions are from the outside edge of one base plate to the outside edge of the other base plate. I know that a lot of Corvette guys place their posts at the 130"separation but their lift points are basically right at the edge of the car while the Fiero lift points are much further in towards the car center line.

Here are the measurements that I took to for the lift points on my 88 GT:

So for my car the front lift point centre line is 18 1/2" from the rocker edge while the rear lift point on the cradle is 17" from the rocker edge. The front to back separation between the lift points is 60" centre to centre at the widest.

So I marked all this out for one side of the car on the garage floor to see how the lift arms will line up and dictate the separation between the posts. I apologize if you have a hard time seeing the chalk marks in these pictures:

The arms are pretty much at full extension to line up with the lift points and measuring from the marked centre line of the car to the outside edge of the base plate gives a dimension of 58 1/2"for a total separation of 117".

So I think I'll go with the Maxjax recommendation of 115"separation. I will place some additional inserts at the 130" separation for one of the posts, just in case I get a new Stingray

Now I'm just waiting for my structural epoxy to arrive....
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's nothing! For MY birthday, my wife bought me a Ninja blender for her diet shakes... hey, wait a minute...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Reallybig:

That's nothing! For MY birthday, my wife bought me a Ninja blender for her diet shakes... hey, wait a minute...

Too damn funny!!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice gift sourmug! Nice lookin Fiero too.
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Reallybig:

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by 2.5:

Nice gift sourmug! Nice lookin Fiero too.

Thanks!

By the way, my epoxy arrived, so Now I just have to get everything laid out and start drilling some holes. Works a bit busy so I may take some time for time to get to this.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-10-2014).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, bummer, looks like I'm going to have to break out the concrete saw.

The slab is not thick enough to allow the inserts to bite. I'll have to cut out two 4' X 4' sections, excavate to 12" for a footing and pour the pads with 5000PSI concrete. Not unusual as I understand it, there are number of threads on other forums where they had to do that as well. Such as: http://forums.corvetteforum...-maxjax-install.html

On the bright side, it'll be solid as a rock!

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-17-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Well, bummer, looks like I'm going to have to break out the concrete saw.

The slab is not thick enough to allow the inserts to bite. I'll have to cut out two 4' X 4' sections, excavate to 12" for a footing and pour the pads with 5000PSI concrete. Not unusual as I understand it, there are number of threads on other forums where they had to do that as well.

Know any good civil engineers to help with that

canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the minimum thickness of concrete that's required for the lift according to the manufacturer?
Also if the instructions don't mention it, I would drill some 3/8" to 1/2" holes maximum 12" apart in the perimeter of the existing concrete and hammer in some steel rebar into the drilled holes to prevent the new concrete from shifting away from the existing concrete.
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

canfirst

641 posts
Member since Jul 2011
Sorry, hit enter twice by mistake.

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 04-17-2014).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The literature indicates 4'' thickness however a number of people have corresponded with the manufacturer and 3.5" will do. My concrete is a bit thinner, due to spalling when the insert was drilled, and one of the inserts failed on install, I stopped at that point. I was planning on doweling the new into the existing prior to pouring.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-17-2014).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:

Cool!!...I'm waiting for my dad to get his project car off the lift so I can do some investigation on mine.

Dan

That Nash Metropolitan looks like it was in a movie or something, alot of custom touches.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope, only a brother.

Is he cute?

Jim

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SoCal Jim:

Cool, but. i"m 6 ft 2". It lifts 48". I aint working on my knees. Unless its a space / height issues a full size lift,2 or four leg is about the same money. I am about to build / order a steel garage. My design will be tall on one side / peak of the roof off set. So that a lift will be possible. Worst case the lift will go outside.

Yeah general consensus is that a two post life is better for working under the car, but I want a 4 post lift to use as permanent storage. If I could get three cars in my two car garage then I'm good. I had my garage door converted to high lift to it opens within 6 inches of ceiling. Now I just need the lift.
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Is he cute?

Jim

Sure, I guess. But you're out of luck, he's married.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-19-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sure, I guess. But you're out of luck, he's married.

LOL

Jim

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To give you a little inspiration, after my son took his off roading on Thursday, it forced us to get his on the lift a little sooner than planned. But it works beautifully. Although my dad said it took a while to get the car positioned just right for the arms to reach to proper lift points.

I know when my dad installed his he ordered some after market anchors to put in the concrete. And he keeps a magnetic level on each post to make sure they are not moving on him.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanFiero (edited 05-04-2014).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pictures, hope the car is OK.

Do you happen to know what the spacing is on the posts from the outside edge of the floor plates? Would it be possible to post a picture or two under the car?

I'm busy getting some interior upgrades on the car now, so won't be cutting the slab until after those are complete.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 05-04-2014).]

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:

Love the Maxx Jaxx

Dan

You need to photoshop out the lift. It looks like it is flying especially with the sun shining at the rear.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the pictures, hope the car is OK.

Do you happen to know what the spacing is on the posts from the outside edge of the floor plates? Would it be possible to post a picture or two under the car?

I'm busy getting some interior upgrades on the car now, so won't be cutting the slab until after those are complete.

Nolan

I'll try and get he measurements in the next couple of days. I've been working all weekend so their progress has been through the pictures they send me. Hoping to go out tomorrow and see where we're at in the repairs. So far it looks like everything is repairable.

Tthe Nash did come from California, but we don't know the history of it. You need to see the pink and blue shag interior. Definitely a talking piece at cruise ins.

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K., the measurement was 10' between the rear of the floor plates on each post. My dad said it was the most narrow setup that was listed in the instructions. And on the Fiero the arms are telescoped out quite a ways to reach the lifting points. My son said it took a couple of hours to get the pads in the right spot on the Fiero as the car needed to be in a very specific location to fit.

Here's a couple of more pics:

So far as for the car the only damage I can find is a need to realign and paint the nose and had to realign the back drivers tire (will get a professional alignment in a few days). We'll see how she drives when we get her down.

let me know if you need any specific pics as I need to go to his place a couple more times.

Dan
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan:

Thanks for the pictures and the information! That's all I need.

Nolan

Edit to add a + for you.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 05-06-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock