Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How much should I charge to do an engine swap?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How much should I charge to do an engine swap? by Boostdreamer
Started on: 04-01-2014 04:32 PM
Replies: 16 (734 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 04-02-2014 04:55 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I heard about a local guy who has two Fieros and wants someone to swap the engines. I gave my number to the guy who told me about it. Said he'd pass it along.

I don't know if it is an engine only swap or if he wants the engine and trans.

I don't know if it is a 4-cylinder to 6-cylinder swap. Even so, both cars are supposed to be right there.

I would have to drive across town and do the work at his house. I doubt he has any jack stands or a cherry picker so I'll have to lug those over there. Prolly take me several days to finish.

What do you guys think? What is a fair price to charge for such a service?

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 04-01-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros as a hobby is completely different than Fieros as a business. We all have seen how well-meaning Fiero Forum Members start selling parts or services and run into trouble.....If you have to ask what to charge you probably should not do it....or do it for free to figure out your own work pace and charge rates so if you do Fiero #2 you have good information on Labor and costs.... That is the responsibility of the businessman.

This is why experience is so important when we shop for a service. The guy who is doing the work is supposed to know what to charge.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Fieros as a hobby is completely different than Fieros as a business. We all have seen how well-meaning Fiero Forum Members start selling parts or services and run into trouble.....If you have to ask what to charge you probably should not do it....or do it for free to figure out your own work pace and charge rates so if you do Fiero #2 you have good information on Labor and costs.... That is the responsibility of the businessman.

This is why experience is so important when we shop for a service. The guy who is doing the work is supposed to know what to charge.

Well, I'm not trying to go into business. I'm just looking to pick up an odd job between semesters. I want to be fair so I want to just charge a dollar amount instead of charging by the hour. This way, I'll be taking responsibility for anything I have to back up and re-do.

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$800 to $1000 seems like a fair price to me.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I heard about a local guy who has two Fieros and wants someone to swap the engines. I gave my number to the guy who told me about it. Said he'd pass it along.

I don't know if it is an engine only swap or if he wants the engine and trans.

I don't know if it is a 4-cylinder to 6-cylinder swap. Even so, both cars are supposed to be right there.

I would have to drive across town and do the work at his house. I doubt he has any jack stands or a cherry picker so I'll have to lug those over there. Prolly take me several days to finish.

I did one in 2009 for $250 for (nutherproject68 on here) because I was bored and the forum insulted me for it. YMMV
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would agree on the $800 to a $1,000 price as it is a fair bit of work, now if the guy is helping and actually helping then the price would be less.
A shop would charge at least double that or more and not necessarily know what they are doing on a Fiero. Dan
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
first off, you better find out what kind of swap. 4 to 4 or 6 to 6 is a lot different than 4 to 6 as you know. can appreciate picking up some extra money, if it's a pretty safe straight forward swap the $800-$1,000 seems like a good number if you've done a few of these. with my skill level and speed and charging $40/hour I'd have to charge in the neighborhood of $5,000. Are you assuming cradle bolts will remove easily? hate to think you'll have to cut holes in both frames and cut off both front mounts. Get a down payment and proof he or she has the rest. you're missing the part about possession being 9/10ths of the law doing the swap at his place.
good luck. Hope it works out for you.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

oldbikeracer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First step is go and look at the cars and working conditions. If anything and I do mean ANYTHING looks funky walk away from it. There are just to many what ifs involved and you could be stepping into a quick sand situation. Get your facts straight , the come back here for more advice.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So your supposed to pull both engines, and swap both into the other car ? I pay $1000 on average to have one pulled, and a used or crate one, installed in one car.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Time and materials. $50 hour or whatever the going rate is.
Also, There is that mechanic price book that gives the ball park price for maintenance and stuff. I would use that and undercut it a little if that were me.
Probably easier to tow the car to your place and "git er done."
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I heard about a local guy who has two Fieros and wants someone to swap the engines.

I enjoy helping out friends and family, plus making a little extra hobby $$$ is always good.
Then there is the" Risk verses Reward" thing that always comes up.
Someone I don't know is going to pay more.
There can be and usually is some kind of "warranty" expectations from the customers perspective.
Not to mention the biggest nightmare of all, someone gets hurt and I am somehow connected to it.
So I wouldn't be shy about charging close to the upper rate, to make it all worthwhile.

Jim
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jims88:

I enjoy helping out friends and family, plus making a little extra hobby $$$ is always good.
Then there is the" Risk verses Reward" thing that always comes up.
Someone I don't know is going to pay more.

I was going to say the same thing. If you don't know the guy, bid high.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See the cars first, hear the engine run that you are going to swap, check years/engines/trans compatibility, ask what is supposed to happen with the left over engine and car, see what the area you will be required to do the work in, determine what tools you will have to transport.... then decide on the price.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would probably quote him labor in hours... if it takes longer he is on the hook for longer...
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Probably easier to tow the car to your place and "git er done."

I already have my daily driver plus three parts cars. If I bring two more home, my wife will do terrifying things to me. I guess I'd better not.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't do it, because I'm too slow and meticulous - there's no way I'd "make money" at it for the time I'd put in.

But my bigger worry, is something going wrong afterwards.
You swap the engine and everything is good until his transmission grenades 2 weeks later.
The customer then says you screwed something up.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I don't do it, because I'm too slow and meticulous - there's no way I'd "make money" at it for the time I'd put in.

But my bigger worry, is something going wrong afterwards.
You swap the engine and everything is good until his transmission grenades 2 weeks later.
The customer then says you screwed something up.

Exactly why I would want you doing my engine swaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock