Who's got head units?? by grkboy707
Started on: 03-29-2014 12:46 PM
Replies: 23 (602 views)
Last post by: grkboy707 on 04-09-2014 11:08 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got my Speedhut gauges all together. Now I have this hideous orange radio glowing, mocking me.

So I'm looking for a head unit that fits my criteria (most important first)
1. Matches color when gauges light up, and doesn't change colors on its own (see better picture below)
2. Does not make any outrageous noises (I had a sony once that beeped a couple times when starting the car)
3. USB/ iPod jack

Two more questions!
Is it possible to keep the head unit relatively flush to the console? My last one required an adapter come out about an inch.

And I saw some little wire pigtails that seem like a good idea so that I can just plug the head unit in. Is the black one in the picture the correct one? These are all that were labeled GM

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just get a 80's radio out of a Buick, I think the color would match ok.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2001 Sonoma radio in my car.
It lights up white. Not exactly blue, but certainly not red.
It had CD changer controls, which makes it easy to plug in an iPod adapter. Works well.
http://replacementradios.co..._249&products_id=115

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-29-2014).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any radio should fit fine in the dash. The key is to remove the metal bracket in the rear of the radio compartment. Then your radio will slide all the way back.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Any radio should fit fine in the dash. The key is to remove the metal bracket in the rear of the radio compartment. Then your radio will slide all the way back.

Yup, unfortunately you do have to break it out, so some people might not want to do that because it will make the stock radio harder to install firmly,.. Without breaking the tab your options would be very limited for a flush mounted radio, if you don't mind sacrafising a built in CD player, there are some good aftermarket shallow units like the Pioneer MVH-X560BT.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Yup, unfortunately you do have to break it out, so some people might not want to do that because it will make the stock radio harder to install firmly,.. Without breaking the tab your options would be very limited for a flush mounted radio, if you don't mind sacrafising a built in CD player, there are some good aftermarket shallow units like the Pioneer MVH-X560BT.

I have never seen the CD less units before. I love it.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I actually really like this. It says USB, but I don't see a port. Is it on the back? Because that would be a huge plus
jpeeler

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

I actually really like this. It says USB, but I don't see a port. Is it on the back? Because that would be a huge plus

Yeah I watched a YouTube video on it. It has USB on back with the microphone port and aux port.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All you have to do is drill out the 2 rivets from the metal bracket on the back of the console skeleton.
Doober

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So THAT'S what that is... I found it under the seat shortly after getting mine and never knew what it was for. Mine had a newer Pontiac CD deck with an equalizer, but had the classic problem of the volume level jumping all over when I tried to turn the volume up/down.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jpeeler:

Yeah I watched a YouTube video on it. It has USB on back with the microphone port and aux port.

I didn't think of looking for a video haha. This seems like everything I wanted! I'm gonna go ahead and put the order in my with blue shirted girlfriend happy anniversary to me

Thanks everyone, as for drilling out the rivets, I don't see a problem with just getting a shorter unit. I have no need for a CD player, and frankly, it's a cleaner look with out it! All the ports on the back just adds to that as well. I appreciate the input though. I will post pics as soon as I get it in
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know how it turns out, that's the radio I was going to get but ended up just breaking out that tab and installing one I already had.

I also recommend the mounting plate from www.humount.com, like mine here:

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ooh that's pretty! It's been a while since I installed a head unit. Is that plate just for aesthetics? Or does it help with mounting?
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Ooh that's pretty! It's been a while since I installed a head unit. Is that plate just for aesthetics? Or does it help with mounting?

Mostly aesthetics, but the mounting backplate is made of some thick hard plastic which holds securely with the radio mounting cage tabs. You'll see it in person next Saturday if it doesn't rain and you attend the hunt valley event.

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, this might sound kinda dumb, but I'm not sure what wires that come of the new head unit come from. Is there any way to find out? I swear the last one I did had everything written on the wires. The connector has 16 slots, and the manual has 21, and nothing is labeled. Any idea where to start?
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What colors are they?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I got it, I just matched the colors on the pioneer power cord to the adapter kit. I'm still left with the dimmer wire off of the 2 pin plug, another dimmer off of the main fiero pigtail, and an auto antenna off the main, which I imagine goes to nothing. Both dimmers are orange
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, 99% of the time the main power/speaker leads match up, but sometimes you'll have a little confusion where the illumination and power antenna/amp remote wires come into play.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: If by "hideous orange radio glowing" you mean a Pontiac head unit - Oops - ignore this post...
Yup - didn't see your pictures at work - Photobucket and YouTube are blocked.

But I left this reply in case it helps others.

Pontiac MONSOON CD player lights up in Pontiac color (orange, red??).
Adding an interface to the CD Changer gives you an iPod connection.
http://replacementradios.co..._204&products_id=227

Have this in my Indy. The one in this pic is a generic AUX interface with RCA inputs.

This is an iPod specific interface I changed to later.
http://peripheralelectronic...iPod_Interfacing.pdf

More on system: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000031.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-09-2014).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I have a similar set up in my daily, that just plugs in the back of the stock head unit and can dock an iPod. I wish I could keep the stock look, but I really just needed the same color illumination as the rest of the car. Now I have wired LEDs into a radios circuit board before, but honestly, it would be more time/ cost efficient to just get a new one.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

grkboy707

3019 posts
Member since May 2009
It's all installed and sounds incredible!! I'll post some pictures when it gets dark. Thanks for all your help!
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bootiful!!! But this dummy forgot to plug the antenna in. Now all that's left is that little tiny trunk switch bulb!
jpeeler

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. How is the interface on the radio? Pretty easy to navigate? My current radio is just about unreadable during the daylight. How is that one?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very easy to navigate. There's this lever looking thing around the volume knob to seek tracks. After a little while, I found out how to adjust to any color your heart desires. As for visability in daylight, it's possible to read, but with the sunroof off, I either need to take off my sunglasses or shade the screen with my hand. I couldn't imagine that any other head unit would be better for it. I would buy it again for sure

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock