Started on: 03-27-2014 09:55 AM
Replies: 4 (241 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 03-27-2014 04:00 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My sons 86 GT had the dreaded belt squeal. The problem is, we didn't know what was causing it. I was assuming maybe some leaking oil was getting on the belt. So I went to search and found out that it is a very common problem on the 2.8. I didn't know this yet because I had only had a 2.5, and it was never an issue for me. So after finding out the problem I learned Rodney Dickman had the solution. (doesn't he always. ) I just finished installing his tensioner pulley on my sons car, and there is not even one little peep, or squeak. Thanks to the forum for helping me diagnose the problem, and thanks to Rodney for great products, and service that solved the problem.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try some silicone spray very sparingly. I had a similar problem with my SBC 350 with conventional belts and it ran silently and strong. Another solution I used in the ancient days was belt nonslip that came in a tube but it lasted about as long as it took me to write this. Otherwise, I am clueless about this and most other problems in life.

[This message has been edited by starlightcoupe (edited 03-27-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a big fan of Rodney Dickman and his products. And many of his products are in my Fiero. However, this is one of the rare cases when I would recommend another product over Rodney's. The idler pulley does help, but you'll still need to tighten the belt from time to time. If you install a self-adjusting belt tensioner, you'll never have to tighten the belt again. PFF member Dodgerunner sells such an item. I have one on my V6, and I love it.
MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While it is true that Rodney's still has to be manually tensioned, it does not use a spring loaded tensioner that is prone to failure. I run an auto repair shop and we are continually replacing these on newer cars. Rodney keeps it simple. Also, if the bearing on Rodney's pulley fails or the belt breaks, the stock belt will still fit temporarily.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm a big fan of Rodney Dickman and his products. And many of his products are in my Fiero. However, this is one of the rare cases when I would recommend another product over Rodney's. The idler pulley does help, but you'll still need to tighten the belt from time to time. If you install a self-adjusting belt tensioner, you'll never have to tighten the belt again. PFF member Dodgerunner sells such an item. I have one on my V6, and I love it.

I agree, and was not going to mention it, but since you did, I will address our thought process. I agree with you about Dodgerunner's setup being a little better because it is self adjusting. The reason we went with Rodney's was price, and price alone. Rodney's is $78 and Dodgerunner's is somewhere in the neighborhood of of $120, if memory serves me correct. My son had to pay for this. he is in high school, works 2 days a week, and is on a tight budget. This represented about a $40 savings for him. He made the right decision for him, and I fully support him in it.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-27-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock