2.8 Ignition Module by fffttt1
Started on: 03-25-2014 05:58 PM
Replies: 14 (1320 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 03-28-2014 11:03 AM
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen comments on this forum advising to carry a spare module. So, for years now I've had a box behind my driver's seat containing a spare module, screw drivers, electrical paste, and a flashlight. Today, around 50mi. from home I'm cruising along @ 80mph with my newly purchased 5gal harley fatbob tanks setting in the passenger seat, thinking life sure is good. Suddenly no rpm's, a backfire and some slight smoke. Pulled off exit and got fire extinguisher from behind seat. No sign of a "carbecue". Got my little kit out, swapped modules and was back on the road in 15min. So.....thanks for the good advice, and ...........does anybody have a spare/extra module for sale
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What brand ignition module did you use?

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are still some on e-bay.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero store has take your pick for ignition control module. Delco's is twice as much. Probably both made in china. Does it really make a difference which one to purchase besides price? Gotta get one spring has ALMOST sprung!

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also curious - as some are cheap (which most times you get what you pay for)

I have a ac-delco on the shelf ready to pack when I drive to Italy in may.

so are they any other makes of modules what are recommended to buy or avoid ?

jon
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems nowdays that any of them may be prone to a short life. I've had Welles modules last for years and I've had the GM modules at 3 times the price only last less than a month. I've gradually drifted away from the Welles, Sorensen and BWD brands in favor of the NAPA stores Echlin brand. Echlin may be made in Canada, but at least they aren't made across the Pacific.

Some secrets to a longer module life are ample grounds between the engine, chassis and cradle, a good ignition and pickup coil and use a good quality heat sink grease on the module instead of the clear stuff that usually comes with the module.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a brand new Cardone distributor with module where the module lasted less than one thousand miles. Replaced the module with a AC and all has been fine for 5000 miles. I was surprised to see the Cardone did have thermal paste under it yet still failed that quickly.

Have a AC in another car an it has lasted over 10,000 miles. Both cars have 2.8L. Will stay with AC modules. May be made in China, but most folks here have good luck with them over Cardone, BWD and the like.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 03-26-2014).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I by Autozones brand. (Duralast) Not because of their renown quality but their lifetime guarantee.
And believe me....I've replaced plenty. On another note....only a fool drives around in a V6 Fiero without having a spare module and the tools to replace it on the road . Well, unless they have unlimited free towing.
Kit
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rock auto ----Standard brand ----
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Some secrets to a longer module life are ample grounds between the engine, chassis and cradle, a good ignition and pickup coil and use a good quality heat sink grease on the module instead of the clear stuff that usually comes with the module.

All true. And the grounds between the module and distributor base are important too. Use new screws and make sure there's no corrosion or dried-up paste where the screws go.

Also, the heat-sink paste needs to be applied uniformly. No voids.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a BWD from Oreillys in mine, working good for a few years now. I used heat sink compound I got from radio shack. Replaced the pick up coil at the same time, also BWD.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My new A1 Cardone disributor's module died at around 5K miles. I replaced it with a used AC Delco one that Mstngsbeware gave me a few years back. I used the ceramic heat sink compound after cleaning the old off with some lacquer thinner. 15,000 miles since the replacement was installed.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-27-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Personally, I by Autozones brand. (Duralast) Not because of their renown quality but their lifetime guarantee.
And believe me....I've replaced plenty. On another note....only a fool drives around in a V6 Fiero without having a spare module and the tools to replace it on the road .
Kit

Me too. I tried OEM Delco for around $80 once and it didnt last 200 miles and the GM dealer gave no warranty or refund on electrical parts. I got 2-4 years on Autozones and they gave me a new one if it tested bad. Trick is to drive over with the bad one if it will run at all. When they cool down, a lot of times they test good. If you cant do that, make them run the test 1/2 dozen times to get it hot.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-27-2014).]

fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked at Autozone duralast parts and it says Wells Vehicle Electronics makes duralast. I thought they were all Chinese parts. They have a manufacturing facility in the US that expanded 40% in 2013. THey also have a plant in Mexico. Autozone also explains what kills an Ignition control module. Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've replaced my ignition module on the side of the road, twice. And neither time was it the cause of my problem and still came home on the flatbed.

I'd go with AC Delco.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock