Used Engine Prices through the roof? by Ravant
Started on: 03-23-2014 12:57 AM
Replies: 14 (539 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 04-30-2014 09:49 PM
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I just suck at searching, but I can't find any used engines for the prices everyone seems to be claiming for their swaps. The cheapest Ecotec 2.2 in my area is a $500 core-only that doesn't run. The cheapest L36? $980 with 156,000 miles. The cheapest L67's a grand with 111,000 miles and that is 'less supercharger'. Where does everyone go to get their inexpensive drop-out assemblies? (Harness, ecm, etc. All the stuff needed to make it run...)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Venomous

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VenomousSend a Private Message to VenomousEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luckily I live near 4 Pull a Parts (www.PullaPart.com). Any V6 engine is like $160 +$30 core. I can get a whole drive train (engine,trans, harness, computer) for around $300. The only downside is you're taking a risk not knowing if either the engine or trans is in good shape, but most people are going to pull the valve covers and oil pans anyways.

------------------

87 GT: Need to get road worthy first
92 Cutlass Vert: LX9/20s/tons more
01 Impala: Wifes taxi
99 Blazer: Parts hauler/winter beater

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Venomous:

Luckily I live near 4 Pull a Parts (www.PullaPart.com). Any V6 engine is like $160 +$30 core. I can get a whole drive train (engine,trans, harness, computer) for around $300. The only downside is you're taking a risk not knowing if either the engine or trans is in good shape, but most people are going to pull the valve covers and oil pans anyways.

That sounds like a worth-while road trip for a good 3.4 PR. All the ones around here are 5x as much.

[This message has been edited by turbo86se (edited 03-23-2014).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In ontario you go on OARA website .they have a search button , you can look up almost anything .Probably over a thousand ecotecs .In the USA try car-part.com i think it is called .gives you a list of available parts at wreckers all over the USA .They also list condition and prices .
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be better off buying an actual donor car. Check your local Craigslist. It often makes sense to do this anyway, since most swaps require more parts than just the engine and having the donor on premises allows you to take what you need as you need it. Also, once you have everything you need you can continue to part out the car to make money and then scrap off the remnants; some skilled individuals can come out near even going this route.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ravant:

Maybe I just suck at searching, but I can't find any used engines for the prices everyone seems to be claiming for their swaps. The cheapest Ecotec 2.2 in my area is a $500 core-only that doesn't run. The cheapest L36? $980 with 156,000 miles. The cheapest L67's a grand with 111,000 miles and that is 'less supercharger'. Where does everyone go to get their inexpensive drop-out assemblies? (Harness, ecm, etc. All the stuff needed to make it run...)

You are looking at engines with some sort of warranty. The pick-and-pull places will usually not guarantee anything, which reduces the price considerably. If you are confident you can fix the unforseen problems, you can save a lot of money.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of places just put themselves out of the used engine business. My choices are $1000 for a 150k used engine of unknown condition or $2500 for a brand new crate engine. Guess which I take ? If you pay to have it installed, they both cost the same in labor...maybe even cheapest with the new one. Only way anymore I put a running used engine in, is if im selling the car and it has a blown engine. A girl I know blew up the engine in her Cavalier. Reputable yard sold me 3 engines that were all bad after they were installed. They didnt charge for each one, and didnt pay any labor. I ended up just putting a crate engine in it...car fixed.
neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do pay with a credit card and get the warranty on the receipt. I bought an engine from a yard with the warranty typed up right on the receipt but when I returned it for no compression in 3 or 4 cylinders they called me a liar and basically told me to stuff it. I dropped the engine off in their parking lot and was able to contest it with the credit card to get my money back.

------------------
'84 2m4 Northstar 5 speed
'84 3800SCII sold
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC 5 speed(sold)

V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buying a doner car isn't a bad idea especially if you need the whole drivetrain and computer. You know that it runs and can take a compression test before you buy the car.
A big plus too is working on it at your leisure at home with the radio on and ALL your tools there. and not having to drive to the self service junkyard and back numerous times
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, a running donor car is the only way to buy a used engine.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had good luck with the wreckers here in Ontario .Maybe they are a little more honest , I don't know .Bell City of Brantford Ont sold me a 2004 2.2 ecotec with f23 transmission bolted up , entire wiring harness , ECM ,BCM , steering column with keys , clutch hydraulics (master and lines all still attached ) and one axle that I did not even ask for .All for 1000.00 cdn .You can get low mileage 2.2 and 2.4 ecotecs just about anywhere around here without wiring but with manifolds for 500.00 . They usually come with a guarantee but the catch is it has to go in to a car that came with that engine from the factory . Fiero engine swaps do not qualify for a guarantee.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not that yards are dishonest. They have no idea of the engines condition when they buy them. They get a whole car and the idea is sell everything they can off of it. They seldom even have keys for them. Some yards will let you bring a battery and gas to try and start them. I def dont buy an engine I dont hear run.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a "complete" donor car with the L61 Ecotec for $300 from the local classifieds. They do pop up, just keep looking!

PS-It also helps if you have friends that work at a local wrecking yard. They always have good inside information.
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

You may be better off buying an actual donor car. Check your local Craigslist. It often makes sense to do this anyway, since most swaps require more parts than just the engine and having the donor on premises allows you to take what you need as you need it. Also, once you have everything you need you can continue to part out the car to make money and then scrap off the remnants; some skilled individuals can come out near even going this route.

i second craigslist. i bought a 3.4l long block for $200 and it only had 26k original miles on it just two months ago. cant beat craigslist for people who are cleaning out there barns and garages for great deals.

brian
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pick n Pull in Va Beach, all engines $170, intake to oil pan. No accessories. If you want "starter, AC, exhaust mani's, Alt" its half price for each. (plus core). After tax, you can drive out with a complete motor for about $300. I've pulled a 3800 w/ 4T65E trans, all accessories, +core, +tax and it was under $450.

Rob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock