Started on: 03-21-2014 05:04 PM
Replies: 52 (1325 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 05-08-2014 04:23 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
... Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-31-2014).]

IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Those pictures were not posted when I commented, if you were directing your comment to me.

That setup may even be illegal in your state. Here in MI, it is not permitted:

Law: A person shall not operate a motor vehicle that is to be used upon the highways with a television or other similar electronic device that displays a video image that can be viewed by the operator while the motor vehicle is in motion.
Statute: MCLS § 257.708b (2008)
Penalties: A civil infraction.

I have used video cameras and when you point them towards the sun, or have liquid, or other items on the lens, your image is not clear. And with a camera, you can not just move your head to change the angle/glare. But as I said, do what you want but you ignore a lot shortcomings of of current camera technology and the fact that it is illegal.

That law was directed at people who put television sets or dvd players in the front...not anything to do with cameras. You may still have it on the books, but it also covers GPS units (also an image viewed by operator while in motion). Ohio had the same thing and I discussed it with local police for my limos. I had front televisions in them for the DRIVERS to watch while waiting on clients. THEY were not allowed on while moving. So if you think a camera is illegal in Michigan, so is your in dash DVD player and GPS unit. To me the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Yes, I will agree if the sun is at the right angle, cameras are blinded. Mirrors at the right angles are also blinded. High beam headlites do the same thing to both. Ive been blinded at nite lots of times by a car passing with its high beams on using my mirrors. My angled downward camera usually dont get hit by the sun because its above the horizon and if it does its only for a few minutes, and never gets water/snow on the lens because of the angle.

Just being illegal, dont mean you ever get stopped for it. You should call the FBI and swat team on me as a dangerous criminal. I took off catalytic converters, dont use my signal to change lanes/turn if no other cars are around, seldom use a seatbelt, disconnect my ABS systems, I painted the edges of my Sebrings headlites to match the body color (it is on the clear lens, but not in the beam), I dont stop when pulling out of my driveway (unless I see a car), drive 70-75 in a 65 zone all the time, I have reflective (not legal) tint on side windows (but legal %), I dont turn on lights with the wipers and I generally ignore 'suggested' speed for twisty roads (usually double whats posted)...just for starters.

ADDED from Evening news just a few minutes ago. Government will REQUIRE rear view cameras on all new cars, pickups, vans and SUVs after 2018.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-31-2014).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I took off catalytic converters, dont use my signal to change lanes/turn if no other cars are around, seldom use a seatbelt, disconnect my ABS systems, I painted the edges of my Sebrings headlites to match the body color (it is on the clear lens, but not in the beam), I dont stop when pulling out of my driveway (unless I see a car), drive 70-75 in a 65 zone all the time, I have reflective (not legal) tint on side windows (but legal %), I dont turn on lights with the wipers and I generally ignore 'suggested' speed for twisty roads (usually double whats posted)...just for starters.

One day, you will pay for this. Dearly.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-01-2014).]

GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

One day, you will pay for this.

Or someobe elses family
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GodSend

861 posts
Member since Aug 2000
I guess I am in the minority by liking them. I actually want to chrome my mirrors, headlight doors, and rear grills.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That law was directed at people who put television sets or dvd players in the front...not anything to do with cameras.

You are not qualified or empowered to make that call.

BTW, GPS is legal here in MI...

Law: Prohibits text messaging while operating a motor vehicle using a mobile communication device located in the person's hand or lap. Excludes GPS navigation systems. Provides for exceptions when using in emergency situations.
Statute: H.B. 4394 (2009)
Penalties: For a first violation, $100.00.For a second or subsequent violation, $200.00.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-01-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

You are not qualified or empowered to make that call.

BTW, GPS is legal here in MI...

Law: Prohibits text messaging while operating a motor vehicle using a mobile communication device located in the person's hand or lap. Excludes GPS navigation systems. Provides for exceptions when using in emergency situations.
Statute: H.B. 4394 (2009)
Penalties: For a first violation, $100.00.For a second or subsequent violation, $200.00.

Actually yes I am at least for Ohio, that had the same approximate law. It said NO video device that could be seen by the driver while in motion was allowed. I went and inquired about it personally in regards to my limos. It came about when I got pulled over once for the dash tv being on (passenger was watching it). They just told me I had to turn it off and I went to the Hiway Patrol office the next day. If taken technically YOUR LAW, that means tv, dvd player, phone, laptop, GPS are ALL illegal in Michigan. In Ohio its also illegal to text with a phone or use ANY handheld device. You can watch your GPS, but illegal to manually touch it. Maybe in Mi you can operate it...I dont live there so dont know. If you can use your GPS, you can use a rear view (or front view for that matter) camera. What does your law say about Cadillacs front view camera that shows you in front in the dark ? Are all those Cadillacs breaking a law ? How about cars that now use an LCD screen in place of all the intruments (like my cousins Jag), or those that use a screen for the controls, including your phone. You quote a law, but pick and chose how it applies to your point, but Im wrong if I do the same thing. The law about video screens is ancient and was written before cell phones or miniature cameras even existed. Maybe they need to write new up to date laws that are specific. Did you know its also illegal to exit your car on the street side when parked at the curb ? Everyones broken that law. In todays cars the driver cant even get out the passenger side unless you climb over a console. Youve broken that law yourself many times Im sure. Ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for it ?

Look, I like cameras, although I dont do it to all my cars, better than mirrors. You like your mirrors. If mine are technically illegal so be it. Until they make it a punishment by death, Ill do it if I like. If I ever get a ticket for it, ill pay it and continue anyway. I seriously doubt it will ever be a problem. It took 20 years for anyone to enforce seat belt laws (I still havent ever gotten one). Its been illegal to text or use a handheld device of any kind in Ohio for a year now. Local news says only a dozen tickets have been given out in that time. I see it by the dozens everyday...even police do it.

So Ill agree to let you do what you want and ill agree to do what I want.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-01-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As of today mirrors required in USA by federal law... but that may change soon.

http://insideevs.com/tesla-...s-lose-side-mirrors/
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They removed a lot of exterior parts over the years due to the injuries caused to pedestrians....hubcap spinners, side mounted tail lights (ie 61 plym), grill and hood ornaments. Outside mirrors to some extent are a danger to them too...they dont even have safety glass. Ive seen/fixed cars where the side mirror got knocked off and thru the side window spraying glass everywhere. Cameras ive done (not like Tesla) are in a fairing made out of plastic tubing and dont stick out more than an inch. The wide angle lens shows the whole side of car from the drivers door to the quarter window and from the top of the trunk to the ground.

Thanks for the post JScott.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-02-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as Tesla, the govenment seems hell bent on trying to kill it. They currently have a fight going on in Ohio trying to limit how many dealers they can have. Isnt that breaking a federal law on restricting trade ? Who has a right to say how many dealers you can have if you want them. GM has 50 dealers just in the columbus area. Tesla is limited to 3 in all of Ohio according to the news.

http://online.wsj.com/news/...463681561761724.html

Since this has taken OP thread way off topic, this is the last one from me. Ill keep installing them on peoples cars who want them until someone in court tells me not to. They all want them because they cant use the mirrors the factory installs. Backing a Lambo or similar car using only mirrors is asking for an accident. I have a dealer friend who wrecked the whole side of his Escalade 3 times using mirrors to back into his garage. Since I added cameras, he hasnt hit it once and folds the standard powered mirrors in before he gets to the garage. Ill even go farther and volunteer to pay any fines they get with them if they want me to. It will just give me a reason to get it to court.

I just took these pics. Sorry, your blind if you think cameras are worse than mirrors.

Isn't Ohio run by a bunch of liberal democrats? Something like Detroit!!!
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Outside view has been required on both sides for years. I dont recall when that specificly started, but in the late 60s/early 70s, passenger side mirrors were always options. My Superbee only had a drivers side. They apparently felt looking over your shoulder to the right was OK and not good for the left side. I still look over my shoulder and seldom use the right mirror except to back out of the garage. I cant quote anything, but pretty sure you also have to have a rear view (inside). Side mirrors are supposed to be adjusted to look off your quarter panels into adjoining lanes...not to see behind you. Way too many people adjust them to look at the side of their car, not beside them...and they end up changing lanes and running into people they dont see. The Lambos I did cameras on had a view from the side of the car to almost straight alongside you, much wider than any mirror. My rear camera on my motorhome lets me see almost straight out both sides too (almost 180*). I have to be carefull because if I leave it on, I almost forget to look out the side mirrors when I change lanes because the camera loses them when they get alongside.

I don`t know about looking beside you.
That would drive me crazy not being able to see behind me.
The mirrors on my vehicles give a pretty good view from rear up to where my peripheral vision takes over when slightly turning my head.
PFF
System Bot
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
I don`t know about looking beside you.
That would drive me crazy not being able to see behind me.
The mirrors on my vehicles give a pretty good view from rear up to where my peripheral vision takes over when slightly turning my head.

LOL... You not going fast enough....

Movie (Gumball Rally circa 1976)

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Mirrors wrapped in dark brushed aluminum (matches the wheels). What do you guys think?

Its an interesting concept.
Kind of like when cars had chrome mirrors to match their bumpers, and even chrome rocker covers, usually wheels too.

Which brings to mind the fact that the rocker and mirror matched the black on a bumperpad Fiero.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock