3800 sc question.. by FieroCanada
Started on: 03-21-2014 12:17 AM
Replies: 18 (570 views)
Last post by: FieroCanada on 03-25-2014 04:02 PM
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im going 3800sc with a 5 spd izusu.
I have a machined 3800 flyweel from a camaro.

but I have bought a stage 3 clutch, and some are saying it may or may not work, anyone can tell me if the setup is going to work or not?

Stage 3 spec clutch for a 5 spd 2.5 litre....
will it work with my 3800 setup?
thanks

so people told me it would, and some say only the stage 3 clutch spec for the 2.8 litre will work..

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 03-21-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know for sure the SPEC III clutch for the Fiero 4 speed will rub on the Fiero V6 5 speed getrag but never tried the isuzu one before. Might have to instal it and check for clearance. Dan
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did my swap 2 years ago now and I am using the exact same set up as you are going to be using, L67 with a Camaro flywheel and spec clutch with the 5 speed izusu. The only problem I encountered was with the Throw Out Bearing that SPEC sent, I ended up suing the stock TOB and it has worked fine for nearly 2 years now.

If you have any other swap questions feel free to PM me

Devyn.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroDev:

I did my swap 2 years ago now and I am using the exact same set up as you are going to be using, L67 with a Camaro flywheel and spec clutch with the 5 speed izusu. The only problem I encountered was with the Throw Out Bearing that SPEC sent, I ended up suing the stock TOB and it has worked fine for nearly 2 years now.

If you have any other swap questions feel free to PM me

Devyn.

Did you order the spec for the 2.5 or the 2.8

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Additionally, does anyone know what Spec clutch would work with the 3800 and 4 speed muncie?

I want to run a Spec clutch but they don't make anything specifically for the 3800 in a Fiero.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Additionally, does anyone know what Spec clutch would work with the 3800 and 4 speed muncie?

I want to run a Spec clutch but they don't make anything specifically for the 3800 in a Fiero.

Yes they do, it's clearly on their site.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Yes they do, it's clearly on their site.

Well if you would like to clearly point it out, I'm not seeing it under any of the Fiero pages.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well if you would like to clearly point it out, I'm not seeing it under any of the Fiero pages.

http://www.specclutch.com/conversion_combos/view/9

http://www.specclutch.com/c...rsion_combos/view/10

http://www.specclutch.com/c...rsion_combos/view/11
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much, I was unable to find any 3800 stuff for some reason...
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will not find any thing FWD 3800 wise on the SPEC site because the 3800 never came manual FWD. You need the clutch to match the tranny you are using for example if using the Fiero 5 speed getrag on a 3800 you get the stage III or III+ for the Fiero getrag. For other trannies like the F23 the Fiero getrag stage III+ works and for the F40 they make a special clutch that uses the stock thickness 3800 RWD manual flywheel. For both the F23 and F40 you are better off to also use the .250 or 1/4 inch HTOB spacer. Dan
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

You will not find any thing FWD 3800 wise on the SPEC site because the 3800 never came manual FWD. You need the clutch to match the tranny you are using for example if using the Fiero 5 speed getrag on a 3800 you get the stage III or III+ for the Fiero getrag. For other trannies like the F23 the Fiero getrag stage III+ works and for the F40 they make a special clutch that uses the stock thickness 3800 RWD manual flywheel. For both the F23 and F40 you are better off to also use the .250 or 1/4 inch HTOB spacer. Dan

I would love to do the F40 swap some day, as my buddy had that tranny in his G6 GTP and that car was amazing.

For now, I am using the Fiero 4 speed.
What stage clutch do you think would be appropriate?
http://www.specclutch.com/c...rsion_combos/view/10
PFF
System Bot
GM Shane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same setup. 3800SC and Isuzu.

After trying many combinations, I ordered a Spec Stage 3 for the 2.5L Fiero. Don't click conversion application, just order a regular Fiero clutch.
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GM Shane:

After trying many combinations, I ordered a Spec Stage 3 for the 2.5L Fiero. Don't click conversion application, just order a regular Fiero clutch.

What combinations did you try? Why is the regular Fiero clutch better than the conversion?

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, glad to know it will work then because I already bought it.
How is the Isuzu holding up? Do you u put it threw any abuse
GM Shane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What combinations did you try? Why is the regular Fiero clutch better than the conversion?

I tried the following:

ClutchNet Racing Red Pressure Plate and Organic Yellow Disc: Disc interfered with pressure plate preventing disengagement.
Sachs Pressure Plate with eBay 6 Puck Clutch: Ordered a Getrag clutch, rubbed on the trans preventing the engine from turning over
Spec Stage 3: Success.

I think the conversion clutch on the Spec website assumes that you're using a Getrag. The part number for the conversion clutch is the same as the Getrag clutch, which is bad. The Getrag clutch measures 9-1/8" while the Isuzu clutch is 8-1/2". If you install a Getrag clutch in an Isuzu, it may rub. Easy solution is to order the 8-1/2" clutch.

Originally posted by FieroCanada:

Thanks, glad to know it will work then because I already bought it.
How is the Isuzu holding up? Do you u put it threw any abuse

The Isuzu is holding up alright. First is useless. It's meant for an Iron Duke that has to rev to the moon to get moving, so I typically wind up shifting at about 10-15 mph. Second gear is made of glass, so I keep it under 0 psig in that gear. The fun starts at 3rd gear, but I keep it under 5 psig to try and keep it together.

If you've done the research, you know that the Isuzu and 3800SC isn't a great combination. I had my reasons to keep the Isuzu and it's been working fine for me so far. Good luck with your swap.

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For use with the 3800 and Fiero 4 speed,
would I want to get a Stage 3 clutch for the 2.8L with a 4 speed,
or just the Stage 3 clutch for the 2.5L?
http://www.specclutch.com/c...ac/Fiero/1986/Single

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, clutches are fairly new to me.
GM Shane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For use with the 3800 and Fiero 4 speed,
would I want to get a Stage 3 clutch for the 2.8L with a 4 speed,
or just the Stage 3 clutch for the 2.5L?
http://www.specclutch.com/c...ac/Fiero/1986/Single

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, clutches are fairly new to me.

For the 4 speed, I would order part number SC773 or SC773F. A lot of people recommend the SC773F, but the SC773 has worked fine for me so far.
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much.
If it was only like a $50-75 dollar difference for the 773F I would go for it, but at this point I'll just go for the 773
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Isuzu is holding up alright. First is useless. It's meant for an Iron Duke that has to rev to the moon to get moving, so I typically wind up shifting at about 10-15 mph. Second gear is made of glass, so I keep it under 0 psig in that gear. The fun starts at 3rd gear, but I keep it under 5 psig to try and keep it together.

If you've done the research, you know that the Isuzu and 3800SC isn't a great combination. I had my reasons to keep the Isuzu and it's been working fine for me so far. Good luck with your swap.

Yes I know it's not best but it's what I got to work with

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock