Ecotec swap help - Cradle mods by Ravant
Started on: 03-20-2014 11:34 PM
Replies: 1 (697 views)
Last post by: Lunatic on 07-04-2014 04:27 PM
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Technically, and usually, I'd dump this in the tech discussion section. But here's the deal:
I suck at welding. I've done exhausts. I trust my exhausts to not leak. But I don't trust my welds to hold anything structural at all. Period. Ever. And here's where my post comes in here at the General Chat. I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum's near Raleigh/Garner that I could either pay or convince to help me fab up a front crossmember for an L61 or LE5 swap?

Edit:
It's not that I'm lazy. It's that I genuinely don't trust myself to make a weld that won't pop the first time I hit a pothole. That, and I don't particularly have a welder, and don't have the cash to buy a good one.

[This message has been edited by Ravant (edited 03-20-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lunatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your choice of driveline is excellent. I too went with the Ecotec. Stock L61 for now but future plans can change! My swap is being done on a 1984 model year. I actually had the Ecotec and F23 mounted to a stock cradle. Now, I liked the way I had built it, but in the end, I just built one out of 2"x2"x1/8" steel tubing. I ended up with 88 rear suspension and that's another reason I made my own. I say, get the engine and trans in place, make the mounts, and tack everything first. Then take it somewhere to get it welded or have a friend weld it. Here's my build. You can see if the first few photo's how I made mine. It's as easy as it looks. Too bad you weren't closer, I'd make one for you or help you weld yours.

Shayne
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock