Car Show Stock Class Entry by RED87SE
Started on: 03-19-2014 11:29 PM
Replies: 21 (771 views)
Last post by: oldbikeracer on 03-25-2014 03:48 PM
RED87SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RED87SESend a Private Message to RED87SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking of entering my car in a car show "Stock Class." What would be some things that would eliminate it besides the obvious modifications? For example are some modifications to mechanical functions like upgrading AC or Stereo things that would make it not qualify?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RED87SE:

I'm thinking of entering my car in a car show "Stock Class." What would be some things that would eliminate it besides the obvious modifications? For example are some modifications to mechanical functions like upgrading AC or Stereo things that would make it not qualify?

Two answers for this, 1st answer, entering in a local non-Fiero show, most judges would not know the differance, and you could get away with alot of changes.

2nd answer, entering in a national Fiero show, ie: Daytona , In a true stock class, any non stock equipment would be a ding. Now having said that, if you replace the radio for another radio that was offered in a Fiero, that would be acceptable. Depending on the judges knowledge, some could ding you for a non Delco battery, Wet sanded paint, all Fiero's had some orange peel in the paint. For safety reasons, some aftermarket tires are overlooked, as 30 year old tires are not safe on daily drivers. Dash covers, seat covers, after market window tinting, Bra's, are dings, again, depends on the judge.

I have MrMike leather seats added to my Formula, they look great, but would not be concidered stock, most would not notice, but in the strickest complance of the stock rule, it would be a ding.

When I judged, each car starts at 100%, each "ding" takes points off, those with the fewest decutions win. I've had some judges try to ding my car for a small scuff in the rear tail light, I point out to them, it's a scuff on the inside of the lens, thus making it an offical factory option. ( lol )

Good luck entering your car, remember to enjoy the show, the best part of the shows are meeting the verious owners and hearing the pride each one has in their cars. Give the car a good cleaning before you leave for the show, Get there early, prep the car, don't over do the armor-all on the tires, ( ask Dragon about that ) lol. After setting up the car, take the time to walk around and check out the other cars. - Take sun screen , folding chairs, and small cooler w/ drinks. (you'll thank me for that when you see $3:00 drinks at most shows !)

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-20-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the rules ( if any ) for the show you are planning to enter.
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool Blue has some great advice above. It definitely makes a difference on what type of show it is. Also, typically maintenance changes won't be held against you unless it is a "Factory Stock" class; however, it does depend on the show. I would be more concerned about the appearance of your head unit than the air conditioning changes. The former will be much more visible. Ultimately, a lot of factors come into play including how the judging works, who is doing it and what other cars on hand have to offer. But definitely go and enjoy meeting people - that is the best part! And many people at shows will be happy to help answer your questions in person.

~ Jennifer

------------------
Silver 1988 GT
Cobalt Blue 85 GT 3.4

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, check the rules. In a lot of shows, your allowed to make a few changes that dont detract from the originality (like tires, stereo). Others, like Corvette shows, are strictly stock...just as delivered new to the dealer. I have a friend who judges for Bloomingtons Corvette fest. They take off points for things like stainless phillips screws where they are supposed to be chrome phillips, or the clock being wrong. They know the factory flaws and your car better have them...like raw edges inside the door jams, runs on the rockers and valve covers, overspray all over the engine (factory painted the engine assembled all except for carb and dist), correct crayon marks and stamps under hood and on hoses, and bonding lines showing thru the paint. I had a guy who had me paint his firewall gloss black and lost a trophy (I warned him).

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some Fiero shows I've been to allow a certain number of changes to still be in stock. For example smaller things like paint color change on rockers or mirrors, radio, shifter handle, spoiler, seats exhaust tips. But some of those same shows consider something like a change of wheels to automatically move you to non stock.

Honestly if its a Fiero at a car show for other cars, you'll probably get put in Pontiac, or 80-present or something silly, I've even seen them put in import.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger is that stock judging your talking or concurs? I know a guy who does concours builds on mopars in northeast ohio. LIke you said they have pictures when building over every little defect down to which direction the clamps on the hose are supposed to be facing. I personally would prefer to go into a mild class than try to compete in stock. But ask your show for a list of rules. anything there judging they have written out. Volkswagen shows count number of mods as to what class you are going in. The one Volkswagen show we went to my father had hood vinyl decal on his car plus eyelids on the headlights and body colored dash they said he could enter into the wild class cause he had so many mods.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a factory stock, some judges get anal about any "modifications" and even having the wrong designed screw can be a ding. Unless you spend big bucks on a complete restoration, you can just find out the rules of the show to see what stock means. A Fiero, currently, is not worth the $$ to spend for restoration. Cool Blue has an original stock 87 GT and can be used as a reference for what was on the car when it was built.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Some Fiero shows I've been to allow a certain number of changes to still be in stock. For example smaller things like paint color change on rockers or mirrors, radio, shifter handle, spoiler, seats exhaust tips.

Fierorama, for example. Anything more than three (or is it four?) viewable mods bumps the car out of Stock and into Modified.

There is probably some leeway also depending on who is doing the judging. I've classed cars at Fierorama and I like to group similar mods into categories, such as, say, a custom steering wheel, custom stereo, custom center console and custom seats all together into one single modification, IE, "interior". But even other judges might not do it exactly the same way.

RED87SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RED87SESend a Private Message to RED87SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for the great information. The only thing that's non stock is the AC, it was upgraded by the first owner. Everything else is maintenance stuff like new stock size tires. I will feel confident it can do well. But for sure it will be a great way to meet folks like myself that enjoy owning and feel proud to have a piece of automotive history.

Dan
RED87SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RED87SESend a Private Message to RED87SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RED87SE

29 posts
Member since Jul 2013
Here's a pic of my car. Thanks again for the info!

Dan
PFF
System Bot
RJS525

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RJS525Click Here to visit RJS525's HomePageSend a Private Message to RJS525Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You car looks great.

I could be mistaken, but after looking at the picture, you may want to check the side air intake scoop.

It appears it may be an aftermarket replacement.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the Holley scoop from back in the day.
I dount anyone would notice the AC change.
A wingless 87 SE in medium red metallic?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-21-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was speaking specificly about Bloomington Gold Corvette show, but thats pretty strict. Concours DeElegance' is usually even rougher since everything in them is usually a rare, very collectible car.

Some shows would consider the side scoop a modification unless you provide documentation it could be sold at the original dealer with it. Dealers do some modifications themselves in their service departments...but you will need written documents stateing that. Cars like those from Mr Norm, or Yenko...even though heavily modified are usually considered stock because they were done and sold to the original owner that way. Shelby Mustangs are also usually considered stock if they are as sold to the original owner. Having the original window sticker available usually can provide proof.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Dealers do some modifications themselves in their service departments...but you will need written documents stateing that. Cars like those from Mr Norm, or Yenko...even though heavily modified are usually considered stock because they were done and sold to the original owner that way.

Which brings up a whole new issue. Most Yenko cars we see around here are clones. You can get Yenko decals on Ebay, for example. Or Nickey. Are they really "stock" anymore?

I know a guy with a Yenko Nova clone. It started as a six-cylinder. Its super nice, and the people drool all over it at shows, but its not a "real" Yenko.

I suppose it depends on the car show if clones are OK or not.

Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love that car. If it is a five speed and v6. That car is hard to find. Nice car.
RED87SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RED87SESend a Private Message to RED87SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, when I bought it last May with 61K on the clock the PO gave me the original grill intake. He put the Holly scoop on it. I'll be sure to place that back on before I enter it. Yes, it is a 1987 SE in medium red metallic. It has the Isuzu five-speed with the 2.5 Tech4 engine. I really enjoy driving it!
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, I am heading up classes and judging this year at Daytona.. this coming weekend to be exact, and I can tell you right now your car would fall into Stock Level One in my show. Below are this years classifications:

Stock Level One:

No upgrades allowed in this class. Cars must sport factory rims, paint and audio system. 20% or less of total body paint spot-in allowed.
Drivetrain must be original with no modifications
Interior must retain OEM fabric, panels and instrumentation

Stock Level Two:

Basically a stock Fiero, but repaints are allowed, assuming it is a color that was offered on rhe car from the factory.
Upgraded audiotronics permitted in this class, but will not include power amps and/or sub woofers that occupy either front or rear
storage areas.
Aftermarket seat covers permitted.
Instrumentation must remain stock in appearance. (example = no gauge overlays or LED back-lighting

Custom Notchback:

All cars that retain a GM 60° engine and drivetrain, but might have aftermarket wheels, repaint, scoops, or custom interior fall into this class automatically.
Engine upgrades allowed in this class providing it is based on the original 60° family of engines, i.e, 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4 PR.

Custom Fastback:

All cars that retain a GM 60° engine and drivetrain, but might have aftermarket wheels, repaint, scoops, or custom interior fall into this class automatically.
Engine upgrades allowed in this class providing it is based on the original 60° family of engines, i.e, 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4 PR.

Modified Notchback:

Any Fiero that has undergone an engine conversion is automatically designated as modified. Body and interior modifications
are irrelevant in this class, it is soley based on drivetrain conversions.

Modified Fastback:

Any Fiero that has undergone an engine conversion is automatically designated as modified. Body and interior modifications
are irrelevant in this class, it is soley based on drivetrain conversions.

Choptops and kitcars.

When the bodylines of a Fiero are radically altered to no longer resemble the original car, it falls into the chop and kit class. Powertrain is irrelevant in this class.

Daily Driver, AKA work in progress:

This class was created to encourage people to enter their cars, even if they aren't show quality. This class will include everything from work cars to project cars. If it starts and runs, this is the class for you.

Display Only:

A non-judged group of cars for those who simply have no desire to compete.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Which brings up a whole new issue. Most Yenko cars we see around here are clones. You can get Yenko decals on Ebay, for example. Or Nickey. Are they really "stock" anymore?

I know a guy with a Yenko Nova clone. It started as a six-cylinder. Its super nice, and the people drool all over it at shows, but its not a "real" Yenko.

I suppose it depends on the car show if clones are OK or not.

The KEY thing is documentation. You have to have paperwork saying its a Yenko (or other). Things like being listed in a formal registry or original window sticker. Most shows I go to have a separate class for ' clones, reproduction, tribute ' cars. A lot are also going to simply a year breakdown to simplify and speed up judging. My Bullet Mustang, had only Bullet parts, window sticker, and dash plaque with a number to prove it was authentic.

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure that the car is detailed to the max. Shinny stuff shiny, dull stuff dull and everything super clean an in its proper place. Go over the exterior after it is in its place in the show and do the tires also, I even clean inside the exhaust extensions. Do the under carriage also, some judges will use a flash light and look under the car. Just clean, clean, clean.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its just my taste as a participant and occasion judge myself...but I dont like to see things 'armor alled' to death. Use a cleaner to clean hoses and tires. If I can see my reflection in the tire sidewall, you fail. CLEAN is the active word.
PFF
System Bot
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adams makes a product call V.R.T (vinyl, rubber and tire) It does a great job on weather strips, hoses and any vinyl surface. Does not make it shinny or leave any type of greasy residue or attract dust. Use it day before the show and follow the instructions. I have sever car and motorcycle show trophies using it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock