Engine Fire Parts Car, Surprise it is a 84 Indy Pace Car by jon86SportCoupe
Started on: 03-17-2014 09:53 PM
Replies: 32 (1196 views)
Last post by: mypontiac2 on 08-17-2014 03:11 PM
jon86SportCoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For sometime I have been seeking parts for my 86 Sport Coupe - Areo Panels, A/C lines and a few other misc parts. I haven't been in a rush, all things come in due time. My patience paid off. My girlfriend's dad called saying a friend of his has a Fiero for sale as a parts car due to an engine fire. The seller wasn't sure on the year and provided conflicting information about the car. Anyhow, I went the next day to look at the car thinking there was a high probability I would finally get some of the parts I wanted.

As I am pulling into his driveway, I see the exterior parts I want. For the price he is asking, this car is mine. Time to check the car out to see if there are any other parts I can use. As I approach the red car, I notice it has white rims. Hmm . . . these only came on pace cars. I look at the interior , it has the Indy seats with red carpeting. With a peak at the deck lid, vents in the middle. WOW, its an 84 Fiero Pace Car. I am at a loss for my game plan to strip the car of parts I want.

It has been a couple days now and I am still battling what to do. So many parts I can use, but it is a Pace Car. I know I will not have the long term finances to bring this car back to life. The car has been sitting since 2000 due to the engine fire. Looks like the fire started in the area of the fuel filter. Extensive damage to various wiring harnesses. The interior is fair, seat are torn. Odometer reads 60k. Why it was repainted red has me puzzled.

Before I start striping the car of parts I need, selling off any desired remaining parts and then sending it off to the junk yard, I wanted to see if anyone would have an interest in a long term project car for a reasonable price before I take any parts. Being new to the forum, I wanted to post some photos from my computer, but I am not seeing a way to post them at this time. I have some photos I can send if anyone is interested. The car is currently located outside of Lewistown, PA (60 miles north of Harrisburg, PA).

This has been a struggle for me . . . what would you do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the bottom of the page click this follow instructions to install

I first upload to photobucket then post using pip.
get url of pic go to pip , click browse, enter url of pic, the pic will display in preview window.
click post, then when you want the pic in a post do a control /v to paste it in.

( photobucket just makes sure it is sized correctly for pff )

I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would want to save it , but would not have the $
good luck

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 03-17-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in the driver's side tail light if it is not cracked or warped.

To post pics, click on the red, white, and blue icon at the bottom of each page. It is the Pennock's Image Poster or PIP.
jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information in posting a photo . . . I knew there had to be a simple way to post photos.

Engine compartment

Interior photo

Red? Don't know why it was repainted

Rear View

I am going to take some time to think about what I want to do with the Pace Car. If I do part it out, I take some additional photos once I remove the tail lights. Looks like there was some over spray.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you get the vin so I can verify what number it is and if it is a Festival / Parade car. Thanks,,Rick B
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If, down the road, you want to sell it to keep it together as a pace car I would like to talk to you about it. If you part it out I would like the carpets and door panels. I have a lot of body panels, that may be what you need. i am coming up to the NE this summer. Wifes mom is in phily. I have a car trailer.
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While it might be tempting to part it out. Don't.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd.
Indy Fiero 2.5 LT? Says on the decklid. Weird greenish lower lines too.
I would guess it got painted due to some sort of damage, or maybe a kid who wanted to spray can it red, it looks like a low quality paint and tape job.
That first pic where you can see the inner lip of the rear fender looks like it was primered black before painting red...unless thats smoke/heat damage.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-18-2014).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is an Indy and you are parting it out I would like three things:

(1) passenger side armrest if it is in good condition (no rips or tears)
(2) Drivers side floor mat
(3) Air Filter Cover (so I can have blasted and powder coated)

However, my vote is to NOT part it out. Restore it!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 03-18-2014).]

jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deep inside my heart I can't strip the car knowing it is a pace car edition despite the engine fire damage. For those of you who have the same thoughts, I appreciate it. I am getting ready to travel the 60 miles where the car is located. I am going to take some more photos tonight.

In the meantime . . . here is the VIN: 1G2AF37R1EP271578.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do decide to resurrect it The Fiero Factory has a few Indys there. Jeremy has some pretty decent stuff and I am sure he can accommodate what you need for it.
PFF
System Bot
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you part it I would be interested in the deck lid without the spoiler.I can pick it up

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom\1986 turbo GT
Founder of Mason Dixon Fiero Owners Group
NYFOC Member

jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick post before heading into work. Option code listing: Y82 is there

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a real Indy and car # 1745. Thanks for the info. Rick B
jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the car number Rick.

From the couple of responses I have received, you have confirmed my beliefs in finding someone who has the time and resources to bring this car back to life.

As soon as I receive a clear title I will place a for sale ad.
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought you might like to see some history on the car. Strange though it only shows a spread of 3 years , Like
no one knew about it the rest of the time. Might also show how long ago the fire was ( if that is what got it parked )
http://kynersauto.com/auto-...IN=1G2AF37R1EP271578
jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the report. Many of the dates are close to what I am seeing on the title.

Registered in PA: 5/08/96

Current Title Transfer information:

Date Acquired : 10/16/99
Title Date : 11/30/99

Last PA inspection was 05/99

Next time I go to where the car is parked, I need to check if the odometer reading is still readable on the inspection sticker. Now I am curious about the last inspection mileage recorded. How many miles was the car was driven before the fire. Current miles is 60125.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

This is a real Indy and car # 1745. Thanks for the info. Rick B

What does that imply? It is an Indy or is it part of the many cars that were used by the 500 people?
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's your car to do with as you wish but please do not underestimate the importance of OEM parts being used to keep other cars alive. There could be MANY cars out there that could use a part or two from this vehicle. In those instances, you could rest assured that those parts are getting used and another Fiero remains on the road. If that car becomes someones project, that is no guarantee that it will EVER move under its own power. It is no guarantee that the good parts on the car won't sit in the weather and ruin. It is no guarantee that the owner will restore this car to original Indy standards.

I know I wanted the driver's tail light and I can promise you that it will go on my daily driver and be used. I'd hate to hear about this car being cut in half to make a trike or a trailer or some other kind of shade tree madman's experiment. It could happen. Think about it, the cost to re-paint the body and wheels will probably be more than the car will ever be worth since it has a fire history. Who is going to put that kind of time and money into saving this Indy when there are bound to be better examples worth saving?

I don't want to be a downer and I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just expressing what I think about it. You don't have to agree with me.

This was just posted. See what I mean?
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093671.html

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 03-19-2014).]

jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reasons you mentioned is why I have been battling on what to do with the car. Even though it is a pace car with engine fire damage and has been sitting for 14 years, myself and many others could benefit from parts off the car. The other thing you mentioned about selling the wheels due to its condition would be most of the value of the car, I tend to agree. One of the previous owners did this car an injustice by painting it red. I did find one spot they missed!

As far as your request for the driver side tail light. There is a crack in the one corner and lots of paint over spray.

My 86 Sport Coupe is my daily driver. I bought the car as is. Who ever put the GT nose and rear on, failed to add the side panels. These are a few of the things I would be taking off the car. Here is a couple photos of my 86 4cyl / 5 spd

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always the driver's side!!! Grrrrr!
PFF
System Bot
jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both sides are missing the panels

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

What does that imply? It is an Indy or is it part of the many cars that were used by the 500 people?

It implies it is not a put together posing as an Indy. I did not state that it was a Festival / Parade car. Rick B
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should definitely rebuild the Indy seeing as it is a low mileage car, and has the 4 speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon86SportCoupe:

The reasons you mentioned is why I have been battling on what to do with the car. Even though it is a pace car with engine fire damage and has been sitting for 14 years, myself and many others could benefit from parts off the car.

Those parts though, except for few only available to the pacecar, are pretty much the same as any 84 2m4. The other thing is do you know anyone who will, or will you, resurrect it as a pacecar?
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon86SportCoupe:

Both sides are missing the panels

I actuall prefer this look and I'll be removing my ground effects from my GT to do the same thing for the second time.

jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is amazing what you can find on Ebay

solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

It implies it is not a put together posing as an Indy. I did not state that it was a Festival / Parade car. Rick B

Ok I was just wondering. How many were used at Indy? Are any of those around?
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would check the frame rails, trunk sides, floor pans and cradle for rust and rot. In the picture you posted looks like it's sitting on the ground which could be bad. If it's got rust issues then it might not be worth saving and the next best thing would be to sell the parts to others who are restoring an Indy. BUT if it's rust free then it should be restored back to original. Just my $.02

Edit to add; needing a paint job isn't a big deal for a Fiero restoration. And by that i mean most Fieros need to be sanded down and repainted. I've got 3, 1 with 21500 original miles and they all need to be repainted due to the original GM clear peeling off. It's typical for cars of this age. Rust would be the deal breaker & possibly a death sentence depending on how bad it is...not the paint job.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 03-21-2014).]

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the time, money, skills to do it. It might take me years, but it would get done. I am looking for a notchy/2.5/mantrans fiero as a mpg car. I have a V8 84, much modded. I want the twin for it. I am not put off buy the distance. I have family in phily. I have a truck / car trailer. I am coming to phily in augest. I may have all the stuff to fix it just laying around. Plus I may have what you need for your car. 228-380-7020
jon86SportCoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon86SportCoupeSend a Private Message to jon86SportCoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FFieroFred, PM sent
PFF
System Bot
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought it, I came and got it. It is home in Mississippi. It will be fixed. It was as jon said it was. Every body did their part just fine. The paper work was fine, It is in my name with a good tag.
Thank you.
mypontiac2

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mypontiac2Send a Private Message to mypontiac2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an extra Indy valve cover and air cleaner if you need one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock