How many members keeping fiero's stock? by fierobug
Started on: 03-16-2014 05:58 AM
Replies: 25 (716 views)
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 03-21-2014 09:08 AM
fierobug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many members keeping fiero's stock? I am a little late in the game bringing the fiero up to a reliable, safe, super fun automobile. Anyway I was just wondering if some members are happy keeping the fiero they have stock or original and that is OK with them? There are some super, awesome fiero's built, I just don't think I'll ever get to that level, but you never know I might win the lottery and retire or just retire to have more TIME to work on the fiero! LOL
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, there are still some purists out there that keep their Fiero's in stock condition. With each passing year, that is becoming increasingly difficult as mother nature takes her toll on paint and rust. Maybe this will put it in perspective. At Fiero gatherings, such as Daytona where 100 cars will compete for trophies, only two or three of them would be in the stock class. SInce the cars have no real value on the open market, I guess there isn't any great reward for keeping them stock with low milage.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that makes sense. I'm going to have to go nuts on it I guess. Gonna take some time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 1984 Indy Pace Car is bone stock with only 49K miles on it. There is a value out there as well as a market for Stock cars. I would not have this car no other way. I have been to many shows where there is always stock classes.

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom\1986 turbo GT
Founder of Mason Dixon Fiero Owners Group
NYFOC Member

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on what you mean by stock.

My 85 SE has it's stock V6 and 4 speed drivetrain, and that is going to stay. I have enjoyed my V6 Fieros over the years (I have had at least 1 since 1997) and continue to do so. The idea of a bigger engine is cool too, but doing that much work is beyond my skill or facilities, and if I were to pay someone else what it would take to do it I would just buy something with a bigger stock engine. (Well, I have many times anyway as my Fiero has always been my second "fun" car).

I have had it repainted the stock color, and I have some Fiero GT wheels on it instead of the stock 14's.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

That's what I was going to say too.

Two or three out of a hundred (as was mentioned above) isn't very many. I would assume there'd be 20 or 30. But maybe in a strict judging situation, maybe they aren't considering aftermarket parts such as new wiper blades, brake pads and tires as "stock".

My own car is stock even though it has 105K miles and the factory wiper blades, brake pads and tires were replaced long ago. I even threw caution to the wind and installed a red distributor cap! But its still stock.

JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is stock, not low mileage by any means. There are a few things I have changed like radio, led lighting, plug wires....etc. Mine is as stock as I can keep it. Frankly I can't afford to modify it and drive the kind of new car I want to have. My daily driver is 6 almost 7, so I can spend on the fiero a little but not for long. Keeping it going, maintained and looking great is a sweet little money pit. Having owned a new one in 1985 may keep me leaning toward maintaining a stock appearance.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

My 85 SE has it's stock V6 and 4 speed drivetrain, and that is going to stay. I have enjoyed my V6 Fieros over the years (I have had at least 1 since 1997) and continue to do so. The idea of a bigger engine is cool too, but doing that much work is beyond my skill or facilities, and if I were to pay someone else what it would take to do it I would just buy something with a bigger stock engine. (Well, I have many times anyway as my Fiero has always been my second "fun" car).

I have had it repainted the stock color, and I have some Fiero GT wheels on it instead of the stock 14's.

I'd like to get it repainted someday. Fformula88: That's about where I'm at with it too. I do have a red distributor cap though. LOL The previous owner put in a new radio. Good to hear from you members.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT is as stock as I can keep it after 27 years of ownership and 145,000+ miles.

Mr. Mikes cloth seat covers almost look stock. http://imageshack.com/a/img268/1616/lqc5.jpg

Just a shade darker.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes stock is the way to go. Taking off my 18" wheels and putting the stock 14" alloys back on until I totally rebuild the suspension. The rides just too crazy when it comes to bumps and railroad tracks!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of my Meras are "stock" since all have engine swaps. Of the four vehicles three have absolutely stock interiors (neglecting an A pillar gauge pod and/or recovered seats) and one has a F355 interior plus VDO instrumentation. I wanted the looks and performance to match so I feel justified in doing the engine swaps. If someone else some day buys one of these vehicles and wants to go back to a stock configuration, it would not be too hard to do so.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
louielouie2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for louielouie2000Send a Private Message to louielouie2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not an owner yet, but hope to be in the next year. I'll be looking for a bone-stock '88 Formula with as low of mileage as possible (seen quite a few over the past several months with less than 50k miles for sale). For me at least, these cars represent my childhood & the 1980s. I'll want to own the exact car I dreamed of as a kid, and wouldn't want to alter anything about it's appearance. I love everything from the 15" snowflake wheels to the 2.8's burble. I like the quirks & flaws these cars have; it's part of their character, IMO. Ownership is a different experience for everyone, for sure. Different people want different things out of their cars, and that's pretty great.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping 1 stock, swapped in a 3800s/c on another.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One heavily restored stock 88 in my garage.
Proud88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock vs mod, both will lose value. It is a matter as to what you want out of the car. Low mileage Fieros have a large following as it was shown at the 30th show in Indianapolis. I had around 20 to 30 1988 stock GT's in my class alone. Also, there were a number of cars that were restored to original condition which is something new to the Fiero community. To say that stock car has no value is far from the truth. It all depends on the condition and model/ year. Where as for modded cars it comes down to if you like what the last person as done etc. I do not think the value issue is the reason for so few stock cars but more of the fact that it is hard to keep them that way. Look at eBay and watch stock low mileage cars. You will see what I mean that if the are clean those people have no problem selling their cars. As for modded cars, it becomes a question as to how the car was built, how was it driven, does the car look good etc. not everyone is going to like the mods that you like and the car could take longer to sell.

It is your car and you can do what you want. Both modded Fieros and stock Fieros will give you years of fun.

[This message has been edited by Proud88GT (edited 03-17-2014).]

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bone stock. Daily driver for 16 years.

1986 2m4 automatic.

------------------

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Indy will stay bone stock.

My 88 GT will stay bone stock.

Hulki's 88 GT will stay bone stock.

MERA will stay bone stock.

GBCT will not stay stock....LOL.
pete 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
!984 Sport 100% bone stock!!!! I even use GM fluids and cleaners on my Fiero.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Proud88GT:

It is your car and you can do what you want. Both modded Fieros and stock Fieros will give you years of fun.
Thanks Proud88GT. Well said! Just wish I had a second Fiero built to the Max. LOL
------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by fierobug (edited 03-18-2014).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I ever get my stinking engine swap done, my '87 Coupe will have a Quad 4 in it. I also plan other changes, including electric windows, mirrors and trunk release and custom wheels. But I've always loved the notchbacks so I won't change the exterior except for blue paint.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pete 2m4:

!984 Sport 100% bone stock!!!! I even use GM fluids and cleaners on my Fiero.

This car is what mine must have looked like when it was new, I really like it!

PFF
System Bot
SC Coupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '88 Coupe is still stock. Bought it new, and took delivery of it 26 years ago today. Doesn't look like new any more - time for a paint job.

------------------
Lowcountry Fiero
South Carolina Fiero Club
'88 Coupe "Plain Vanilla"
'86 GT "Black Pearl"

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 03-18-2014).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My ownership preference is 'stock looking' notchback style. I try to use Fiero or at least OEM repair & maintenance parts.

I'm the original owner of an '84 SE 2.5L 4 speed (363,400 kilometers or 225,800 miles) still in daily use. The only noticeable non-'84 parts would be the sail panels (from an '87). Wipers, catalytic converter, dash speakers & battery are non-stock... I was fortunate to find exact replacement '84 SE seats and dash in excellent condition. GM replaced the engine under warranty at 102,000 kilometers.

I'm the second owner of an '86 2.5L 5 speed coupe (120,000 kilometers or 74,500 miles). I put an '87 2.5L engine in since the original engine developed a 'death rattle'. There's an aluminum expandable dryer pipe section attached to the air intake; other than that the restoration used all Fiero parts including 1985 Fiero seats (with headrest speakers). It shares daily driver duty with the '84.

I'm the second owner of an '88 2.8L 5 speed Formula (24,500kilometers or 15,200 miles). It's closest to original stock - still running on the original tires. A Fiero aficionado may recognize the two tone horn is not stock, but it is a Fiero low tone horn that I added to eliminate the lame single tone beeper I couldn't live with. Speakers are after market replacements; a GM dealer replaced the heater core before I took possession at 5,200 kilometers or 3,230 miles. It's an occasional use car.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 03-19-2014).]

fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great stock fiero collection but you have to get rid of the old 88 tires, just not safe.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

Yes, there are still some purists out there that keep their Fiero's in stock condition. With each passing year, that is becoming increasingly difficult as mother nature takes her toll on paint and rust. Maybe this will put it in perspective. At Fiero gatherings, such as Daytona where 100 cars will compete for trophies, only two or three of them would be in the stock class. SInce the cars have no real value on the open market, I guess there isn't any great reward for keeping them stock with low milage.

I would argue that very few cars in the collector world are kept bone stock. At Daytona there are thousands of cars, and based on what I saw walking around I would argue Fieros had the largest collection of stock vehicles. OF the 100 or so mustangs didn't see a bone stock one, same for camaros and impalas or just about any other car besides a corvette. For most people, keeping a car in the garage and doing nothing to it is not very interesting.

Now having said all that I'm trying hard to keep my Indy stock as that's 99% of the charm. But some things I want to change for safety reasons like those stupid solid rotors up front. And those crappy 14 inch wheels. My Indy will never be a show car so I'm not a fanatic, but I'm not about to chop it and give it a wide body either.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve got 3; a Formula that I’ve done extensive body mods to and is in the process of getting a paint job now (actually it’s 2nd one, my 1st attempt had a clear coat failure) and Mr. Mikes seats and all options. An 86/87GT that will be heavily modified if I ever get to it and an 88 base 2m4 that we picked up last fall. This one will remain stock for the most part. I am going to add in missing optional power windows & mirrors. It needs a fresh paint job too as the original clear is shot. Other than that it’ll stay as is.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock