Started on: 03-13-2014 06:54 PM
Replies: 23 (1072 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 03-19-2014 09:36 PM
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had to clean off the winter sludge from the Batmobile, and I decided to try my wife's dish detergent Dawn.

Sure it cleans the oil off ducks, but does it clean a Fiero?

You bet it does and is the best car washing detergent I've used in a long time. FYI

Arn

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Zaino Brothers suggests it for stripping the old waxes off prior to applying their wax system.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I'd rely on it for stipping wax.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dawn is way too early to wash a car. I prefer just after supper.

DF
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dawn isn't good for clearcoats, because just as it eats through oil and grime, it will eat your clear coat.

I use Turtle Wax Car Wash on my Black 2012 daily driver (I have never washed my Fiero yet as it isn't running) and nothing has gotten it to shine better than Turtle Wax.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That stuff is pretty powerful....be sure to rinse thoroughly.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Typically, dishwashing detergent is not recommended for washing cars *because* it strips off wax. Now, if you have an old coat of wax that you want to remove, then go for it.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the posts above. Not a good idea unless you are attempting to strip your car. For regular washing including removal of road salt, use a car specific wash soap. Another reason not already mentioned is that car wash soap will rinse off easier. I remember using home detergents and such when I was younger. I would see bubbles on the car when it would rain. It was almost impossible to rinse that stuff off!
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:
Another reason not already mentioned is that car wash soap will rinse off easier. I remember using home detergents and such when I was younger. I would see bubbles on the car when it would rain.

I have to disagree with you here. All soaps are surfactants: they reduce or eliminate the surface tension of water. I have used all different kinds of soaps to wash cars (back in the 80's when I was a teenager it was popular to use liquid Tide) and I have never had an issue with residue after rinsing with any type of soap. How much soap were you using?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dawn will strip the wax off your paint.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was she wearing a bikini?
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soaps are surfactants, but they are also formulated for different purposes. Most all will suspend any loose particles and allow them to be rinsed away. Dishwash detergents and shampoos are to different degrees intended to break down oils. Dishwash agents will also strip wax from your vehicle. As a teenager, I washed my cars with shampoo. My dad washed his vehicles with Tide Washing Powders and it would actually removed the chalked paint from the vehicle. He would wet down the engine, sprinkle Tide on the engine then rinse. It was a great engine degreaser, was cheaper and smelled better than Gunk engine cleaner.

If you do use anything other than a product intended for automotive use, put a new protective coat of polish or wax on the vehicle immediately afterward. Polish will protect, but wax will last longer. The more work involved in applying and removing a protectant, the better the protection. If a Wash N Wax product can be dissolved in water for application, it stands to reason that it can be dissolved in water and removed.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dawn Wells?

Anyway, yup it will strip off the wax. Not a bad thing, if that is what you are looking for. As for hurting paint... nah, at least not Dawn. Now, dishwashing soap for dishwashers, those are another thing.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard and agree with not using Dish soap regularly to wash cars.

Related to this, I have heard dont use windex to clean your car's windows, something about it being too harsh.
They say use automotive glass cleaner.

Truth? Reason?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Dawn on all my own cars. I wash mine once a week in winter and every other day or two in summer with it. It does strip wax, but no problem since I never wax a car. I do use it to wash a car before prepping it for paint work too. I always also use Windex or similar sprays for the windows. I do know your not supposed to use Windex on window tint films. For that I use water with a capful of vinegar. I use a teaspoon of Dawn in water for applying window film after cleaning them well with the same solution to remove any grease, wax, or oils. Theres nothing wrong with any of my glass.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-14-2014).]

mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Related to this, I have heard dont use windex to clean your car's windows, something about it being too harsh.

Truth? Reason?

Windex is a brand name so this can't be confirmed or denied. There are Windex products with ammonia that may hurt window tint films but those aren't glass anyway. There are gentle versions for plastic, natural versions for greenies etc..

I doubt any glass cleaner will hurt glass.

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use car wash on the inside of my windows also. I think they are cleaner and more streak free this way. It might be my imagination but I think they STAY cleaner longer, too. I wash, rinse, wash, rinse twice, then dry with a soft cloth until all streaks are gone.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my brothers always washed down cars with a liquid dishwash before prepping for paint. I don't know what brand.

As for automotive windows, the ammonia residue left by glass cleaners actually attacks the adhesive of window tint. The tint film itself is a polyester film and is very chemical resistant. A very good glass prep or cleaning is made by SprayWay. I used it in the graphics industry to clean the glass of vacuum exposure units and the lenses of cameras. There are several versions, but this is the one that I still use for my automobile glass. Webril Wipes to wipe away the cleaner will assure there is no lint when applying tint. Available at graphic art supply dealers. In the southeast, Sprayway is available at Publix Supermarkets.
http://www.screenprinting.c...ddX8AEQ#.UyNNk4Wyncs
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Truth? Reason?

That's more likely about the clear plastic used in the dash and other areas, or coatings on the glass. Plus it can be harsh on paint or your dashboard if you get any on it. Automotive cleaners are safer.
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Johnsons baby shampoo. doesn't strip the wax and doesn't leave a residue if you let it drip dry. And you get that fresh baby smell
Most ppl are worried about their soaps but where they should be worried about is that wash mit. Ive seen used wash mits with dirt and gravel from previous washes and they just keep reusing it and then wonder why they keep getting scratches in their paint.

as far as cleaning glass i use a simple softsoap and water solution. then wipe with news paper. Black and white not color pages. I once saw a detailer use this and the windows were perfect afterwards and its cheap!. But for tint i buy a tint safe cleaner and use a soft terry cloth to dry.

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 03-15-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOTHING cleans glass as well as water with a little vinegar and newsprint. I learned that 30 years ago.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Dang I was hopping he had pictures of Dawn
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

NOTHING cleans glass as well as water with a little vinegar and newsprint. I learned that 30 years ago.

Coffee filters do a good job too

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock