Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone still want replacement converters?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone still want replacement converters? by Rodney
Started on: 03-13-2014 10:54 AM
Replies: 20 (736 views)
Last post by: Rodney on 06-05-2014 01:55 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a while since I stocked my converters with the 409 stainless steel extensions welded on. Occasionally someone asks for one. So I may stock some again. Price would be higher. Maybe $120ish with clamps. Worth my time? Not CA approved. 49 state only.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=51&products_id=85

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lurtz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im interested. Even though they come with clamps would it still be weldable?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sell them with or without clamps.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney, I love your products and I'm a repeat customer.

However, having said that... I myself wouldn't pay "$120ish" for a cat when there are much cheaper alternatives.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The alternative is a 409 stainless steel cat that holds up long term and mild steel extensions that rust away in so many years. My cats have 409 stainless steel extensions welded on and include 304 stainless steel clamps. No clamps would be around $105ish. This is why I started making them to replace the OEM converter (which is several inches longer than aftermarket cats) while retaining the original factory exhaust system. Those that used an aftermarket cat (all aftermarket cats as far as I know are 409 stainless steel) and used your typical mild steel exhaust pipe extensions saw a short life before the extensions rusted away.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Those that used an aftermarket cat and used your typical mild steel exhaust pipe extensions saw a short life before the extensions rusted away.

Rodney, I understand completely the reason for the added cost of your superior cats/extensions. However, from what I've read in these forums, many people couldn't care less about spewing noxious fumes out their exhaust tips. That's rather unfortunate as we all need to breathe the same air... whether we have smog tests in our respective cities or not.

I've planned ahead with a couple of my Fieros and grabbed cats on eBay for a good price... but for anyone who needs a cat quickly and hasn't got time to snag a deal on eBay, your cats would definitely be a worthwhile investment.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-14-2014).]

lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, please let me know if you are going to offer these cats again. I am looking for a quality dropin replacement.

Thanks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a bonus that a separate purchase of an inferior metal pipe extension isnt needed, (and then welded or clamped on too). The price you are asking jives with others that have the length of pipe included, and beats the Fierostore.
I guess we dont know how many youd have to sell to make overhead back though.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-01-2014).]

FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually ...................... I've been looking at the Fiero Store for a cat. Was going to be ordering it next week. However, I would much rather have one of yours. Wouldn't happen to have one laying around, would you? 88 2M4. 185000 miles, gas mileage dropped as well as the get up and go and sulphur smell getting bad.

Thanx,
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I might be able to help you reduce cost of these units by not using a catco converter... sending you a PM
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take one
PFF
System Bot
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any additional word on these? I just pulled the fiero out of winter storage, and the need for a new exhaust is ever growing
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need one. I went to your site and saw them no more,
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, put me down for one with clamps. / 86 2.8.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:
88 2M4. 185000 miles, gas mileage dropped as well as the get up and go and sulphur smell getting bad.

Fix you engine or very likely new cat will die too.
Smell is often sign engine w/ problems and poison the cat.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just noticed someone replaced my cat with a straight pipe. Although the Fiero is now emissions exempt in Texas I would rather not pollute the air if I don't have to. I'd be down for a replacement.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I once bought a cheaper stainless replacement catalytic converter other than the Rodney Dickman one, and its pipes just outside that cheaper cat completely rusted through quickly because although that cat itself was stainless, the pipes connecting it to the remainder of the car's exhaust system were not.

In contrast, the catalytic converter offered by Rodney Dickman which I bought several years ago was completely stainless, and I still have that set-up on my Fiero, a year-round daily driver.

My purchase from someone else, in hindsight, was a major mistake of "false economy" on my part because it ended up costing me far more money than a truly all-stainless --- including its stainless connecting pipes --- cat system from Rodney Dickman would have cost me in the first place.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would consider one as well.
Cygnus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CygnusSend a Private Message to CygnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to get an '85 GT back on the road for a friend, and it has no cat. I have no welder, so this would be wonderful, and I was sad to see you stopped carrying these. Though I'm sure they are a slow moving product, as the stainless steel will last a very long time. I would definitely purchase one.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered some converters today. I should have the extensions welded and back in stock in a week or two.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have them back in stock:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=51&products_id=85

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF