Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Does anyone else get the common EGR code ONLY at speeds over a steady 60mph or so?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Does anyone else get the common EGR code ONLY at speeds over a steady 60mph or so? by Doober
Started on: 03-12-2014 02:02 AM
Replies: 7 (248 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 03-12-2014 02:49 PM
Doober

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like the title says...

I rarely drive on the expressway/highway/freeway, being that it's on the opposite side of town (no idea why they never built a non-stop route from the opposite side of town when Tucson was still relatively young), but when I do, and I'm at the lightest of throttle (as in almost coasting, it's mostly flat on I-10 around here) above 60-65, every so often I'll get the code that's common for egr not functioning properly... it's been a while since I've checked, so I don't recall what the number is.

Anyway, currently mine runs great, and the past 3 tanks have averaged 27.8mpg, 100% in-town driving with a 2.8 and 5-speed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was having a problem with my Ses light coming on at highway speeds also. It was a few years ago but if I remember correctly it was one of two things, the vac line under the throttle body that was off, or the vent pipe from from the front valve cover to the intake.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 GT gets it periodically and I've replaced the EGR solenoid and have never figured out the cause. The 32 code seems to have ne effect on the car's drivability, mpg or anything.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started getting a code 32 after my EGR solenoid got soaked with water. It would only happen at over 50mph. It went away when I got a rebuilt solenoid.
S-toon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That used to happen to me. Would only come on once I got on the freeway, also I10 Nothing while driving around town, but after a couple mins (like 5-10 mins) after getting on the freeway, going 75mph my engine light would come on, and it was always code 32. Since it didnt really affect the car I left it for awhile. Then finally got tired of it. So I started looking here for an answer.

Found 2 very helpful threads.

How I repaired my EGR Solenoid and eliminated my Code 32 by Timpilot
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122507.html

Thats as far as I got, cleaned it up, and put it back together. Couldn't open it up more as in the pics. The other part didnt want to come apart, and I didn't want to break it so thats why thats as far as i got. But I have to say that, after I cleaned that bit up and put it back together, no more code 32! It's been a few months now.

Or you can check this out.

CODE 32 answers. dialup warning pics by buddycraigg
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045528.html

I suggest you read through it but here is something from page 3 incase you take yours apart and clean and still get code 32.

"I would say 75% of the time it�s a bad solenoid.
Which sucks cause they are very expensive.
24% is a vacuum leak
1% is a temp sensor.

I don�t remember if you have posted any other symptoms about your car.
As long as you do not have a high idle condition,
a �getto� way of tricking the ECM in to thinking everything is working correctly is to jump the 2 wires in the 4 pin pigtail that plug in to the sensor.

the two pins you need to jump are in red

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is when Barbie does 70 mph for more than 4 minutes
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are part of the 24%....(vacuum leak). The leak can be very slight. An old elbow fitting at the EGR valve can do it. It would look perfectly good, but just slip a little too much.

edit: I bet those fittings don't hold up too well in Tucson.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-12-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was trying to find the cause of mine, it was acting the same way. I would think I had it cured until I was going over the same stretch of I26. Happened the same place if nowhere else. That became my test route when I saw the pattern. Mine happened on an interstate incline, cruise control engaged at 55-60. My problem was either/or the solenoid or the spongy L connector on the bottom of it. Many miles and trips later, it has only come on one time since I worked on it. I'll forgive it since I didn't buy any parts, I just pulled other old parts from my parts cars.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock