What Speed do you Cruise at? by RilesOfSmiles
Started on: 03-10-2014 02:44 PM
Replies: 23 (526 views)
Last post by: Fformula88 on 03-14-2014 01:05 PM
RilesOfSmiles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 gt with a 4 speed and usually cruise around or 70 mph. The rpms are a little high (about 3,000 rpm at 70 mph) but it doesn't seem to have affected anything negatively yet. I even get around 26 mpg. Although the grooves in the road from wear are pretty bad in some places and at those speeds my car can be a bit tricky to control in those lanes. My brother's automatic formula is up at 3500 rpm at only 60 mph but I think his torque converter might not be locking up. So how fast do you all drive?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a while since I had 4-speeds, the last being 4-5 years ago, but I had no problem running it up to the 85 mark, and a few times well over it. If the engine is solid with good oil pressure, it will cruise at 70-80 without any bad effect. Bouncing around on the highway berms can be in part to either worn suspension parts, improperly aligned, or both. The Fiero just isn't wide enough to fit down in those semi truck tracks. Driving in the left lane, at or above the speed limit of course, can make driving more relaxing since trucks are prohibited on most triple lane roads.

Part of the reasoning behind the 85 MPH speedometer is left over from the 55MPH speed limit days. Most people like to drive with the speedometer hand at or near straight up. If I recall, 55 is just a little one side or the other of the 12 o'clock position.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RilesOfSmiles:
My brother's automatic formula is up at 3500 rpm at only 60 mph but I think his torque converter might not be locking up.

His tach is probably reading too high, which is quite common.

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually cruise about 60-65 86 GT auto. Mine too is low geared as at 65 mph my tach is sitting around 3200-3300 rpm.
A little high but does give good low & midrange grunt.
Kit
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Although the grooves in the road from wear are pretty bad in some places and at those speeds my car can be a bit tricky to control in those lanes.

Fix your ball joints, steering, or whatever is loose. And if you have fairly old tires, you might need new ones, even if they have some tread left on them. if you're having problem controlling the car at 70 MPH on grooved roads, then something is loose/worn and needs replaced.

Where you live, it rains a lot I'm sure, and grooves are cut into highway roads to aid with drainage in heavy rains. Plenty of the roads down here are the same. It's not due to wear on the road, but because the road was designed/made that way.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by fierofool:
Part of the reasoning behind the 85 MPH speedometer is left over from the 55MPH speed limit days.

Actually, it's from the 85 MPH speedometer days. It was a different regulation from the 55 MPH speed limit.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'86 GT Auto. 3000 rpms at 70mph IIRC.

I normally set my cruise control at 5mph over the posted limit. I increased my caster with the GM washer kit. I have 9mm in the rear and 3mm toward the front of the upper control arm bolt. Caster plays a big role in higher speed stability.

My thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130901.html

I have no problem running up to 85mph. I've not tested it much higher if any.

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 03-10-2014).]

V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wrecked my 87 GT 5 speed a half year ago but I cruised at 80 all the time. I don't remember the RPM's but they weren't excessive and the engine made a nice humming noise not excessively loud. In Calif everyone goes 80 on the freeway all the time. I try not to go faster as the fine goes way up at 15 MPH over the speed limit.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cruise at whatever the posted speed limit is. My 87 GT 5 speed 70 mpg ~ 2500 rpm. My 88 GT 3.4L and 440T auto 70 mph ~2300 rpm.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I cruise at whatever the posted speed limit is. My 87 GT 5 speed 70 mpg ~ 2500 rpm. My 88 GT 3.4L and 440T auto 70 mph ~2300 rpm.

I'd be looking for a 4T60 if I didn't already have an L67 and HD trans to go in.

RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How does your car run at such low rpms? Did you change the gearing?
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How does your car run at such low rpms? Did you change the gearing?

He put a 440T 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission in. The 4T60 (non E) trans is a better choice.

LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cruise at 70 on the turnpike turning 2000 RPM with a F40.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
60-70, been steady at 100-105, no wandering, etc.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
70 = 2,500 rpm or 100 = 3,500 rpm once and a while
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My 88 GT 3.4L and 440T auto 70 mph ~2300 rpm.

From memory, my 3.4L 5 speed muncie was around 2500 rpm @ 90 mph Ohio turnpike. Sorry I don't recall the exact numbers.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
70-75mph at 2500rpm with a 4t65e. Not sure that the lockup is always engaged. I had problems with it in the past. Oh, forgot that I have a 3800SC engine. (how can I forget that?)
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm really starting to not like my TH125, 55mph @ 2500rpm. What would be a good upgrade for the 2.8 that doesn't require a controller?

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 03-13-2014).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

I'm really starting to not like my TH125, 55mph @ 2500rpm. What would be a good upgrade for the 2.8 that doesn't require a controller?

THM440T4 or whatever you wanna call it, from older vehicles. (1985+?). The earlier ones are cable controlled vs electronic, irrc. Not sure if you need larger hubs or not, haven't looked into it. Here's the first thing that popped up under a search, gives you an idea what to look for.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
70 w/ cruise on my v6 4 spd too. I wouldnt worry about the rpms, that was mine too. Mine ran perfectly for over 100K.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

THM440T4 or whatever you wanna call it, from older vehicles. (1985+?). The earlier ones are cable controlled vs electronic, irrc. Not sure if you need larger hubs or not, haven't looked into it. Here's the first thing that popped up under a search, gives you an idea what to look for.

The ones in the early '90s were designated 4T60 and from what I've read, the latest ones had an additional friction plate or whatever it's called, so they are better.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cruise at "ten over" pretty much everywhere. You pretty much have to in Atlanta, or you'll get run over.
On 55 MPH roads (such as the I-285 "perimeter" highway) everyone drives at least 70.
I try to not be the fastest. (Some of us are just damned crazy.) But I let the fastest ones "beat the bushes" for me.
I try to get where I'm going while still blending in with traffic. As a police officer friend once advised, I "always attempt to maintain a low profile."
I don't use a radar/lidar detector. I have found that when I do, I still drive at about the same speed, and I'm a lot more paranoid, and distracted.
It's not like they're after the people driving just "ten over" anyway. They'd have to stop everyone.

My cruising RPM at 80 is ~2800 (standard Getrag gearing.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-14-2014).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40726 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

The ones in the early '90s were designated 4T60 and from what I've read, the latest ones had an additional friction plate or whatever it's called, so they are better.

The 440T4 and the 4T60 (Non "E") are essentially the same tranny. There was just a change in the naming convention.
(Similarly, the TH125 is the same as a 3T40.)
The earlier ones were fragile. The newer they are, the more improvements were made.
They changed to "E" (electronic control) in the late 80s / early 90s, depending upon application.
By my way of thinking, one of the better 4T60s to grab would be one from a 90 Deville. (The 91 switched to the 4T60E.)
Since it was sturdy enough to handle a Deville, it should be able to handle most anything we would throw at it with a 60 degree V6.
The governors would likely have to be changed, since the Caddy shifted at lower RPM than the V6.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-14-2014).]

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am usually between 5 and 10 over when cruising, regardless of limits. That would max out in the low 70's around here, as our state max limit is 65. I cannot say what the engine is turning over at, but isn't unpleasant. (V6 4 spd btw in my 85 SE).

If your wandering a lot, might want to check your steering stablizer....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock