Rock auto newsletter by kendallville
Started on: 03-07-2014 05:59 PM
Replies: 34 (1062 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-31-2014 12:14 AM
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just looking at the latest edition of Rock Autos news letter and noticed to things that upset me
once I thought about it.
1 they always have a forum of the month and it was not PFF
so I went back though the archives 2 per month from Jan. 2008 till now . NO PFF any where
2 they show a auto of the month from a car restored with their parts.
No fiero so I went back and checked only one in all that time
http://www.rockauto.com/New...archives/112409.html
granted a very nice Mera but still only one , I have bought some parts from them but we should try to
get another Fiero on there. so If you buy parts from them and your car looks good lets flood them with pics.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Trust one

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Trust oneSend a Private Message to Trust oneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent them a picture of my 88 Formula about a year ago.nothing and I bought a fair amount from them.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possibly because they got ass-hurt when they joined here to simply spam the forum and then got banned?
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did not know that. may be its for the best
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I remember her, she got into a argument about the over inflated shipping costs to Canada . Rock auto does throw the screws to the Ppl of the great white north. What was it, a 3 dollar axle seal shipping was like 21 dollars? She said it was justifiable. Wtf?

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 03-07-2014).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check Collector Series #127 magnet. It's mine. No long story, just sent a picture and a note of thanks for the great service. There are lots of makes and models out there, just proud they did pick a Fiero this time.

https://www.facebook.com/ph...08347&type=3&theater

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 03-08-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

Yeah I remember her, she got into a argument about the over inflated shipping costs to Canada . Rock auto does throw the screws to the Ppl of the great white north. What was it, a 3 dollar axle seal shipping was like 21 dollars? She said it was justifiable. Wtf?

It was actually worse than you remember... from This thread.

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's the seal on the front rotor of a Fiero. The individual seal costs $1.36. Excellent price. The cheapest way to ship it to Blaine Washington costs $3.09. IMO a little expensive to ship a tiny feather-weight item that will fit in a small envelope, but nevertheless acceptable.

Now, to ship this same small light-weight $1.36 item an hour further way to Vancouver BC, the cheapest shipping method from RockAuto costs... are you sitting down... $25.00

This is outrageous.

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup that's the thread. Since I seen this I'll shop around just to keep from using rock auto. that's just not right to do Ppl like that. Thanks Patric for showing people.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

that's just not right to do Ppl like that. Thanks Patric for showing people.

I was hoping that when I supplied detailed examples of excessive shipping charges to Jessa from RockAuto that she'd look into it, or perhaps get someone else at RockAuto to investigate. Instead, she just tried to brush it (or me) off. That was rather disappointing to say the least.

If the truth be known, I didn't "neg" her... but other members here obviously expressed their displeasure by dropping the ban hammer.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I accepted long ago that no business over the border is going to send by snail mail. Why would they? It'd cost them time/money to head down to the post office or otherwise. They use couriers. Meaning, its a minimum $25, no matter how small the package. Anyone who's dealt with businesses on ebay or what have you should have clued into this already. Hell, you can't get a small package delivered in Canada without paying at least $12.

That being said, I've found RockAuto's shipping prices about as cheap as they come, for a company sending over the border. And they collect the taxes and border fees, so you don't get raped by the courier with a $50+ brokerage fee. (Coincidentally, I just had to pay one, but it was well worth the extra cost and this wasn't from RockAuto). The good thing is that they go by weight more than anything. It wasn't worth me buying rotors from them, simply because of the weight makes them cost more than I could buy them locally. It was well worth me ordering a radiator and a CV shaft, though, as even with the shipping($65?), I saved about $200, just on those two items.

They have the shipping costs shown right then and there in your "shopping cart", so you can tell right away if its worth ordering from them. Just assume you've got to make a minimum $$ order to make it worth the shipping cost and you're away.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Check Collector Series #127 magnet. It's mine.

Kevin's car is beautiful and it deserves to be 'magnetized'.
Good job!
Do you still have s magnet saved for me?

PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Joe. I'm looking at your magnet right now. Will have a few magnets at the Capitol City Fiero meeting on the 15 th. See ya there!

I have no issues with Rocks shipping. They are very competitive with the other mail order houses such as Summit, TFS, EBay and Amazon. Although it is still good that customers squak once in a while to keep them in check. Look at the Fiero Store who recently reduced some of their shipping cost as a result of the community speaking up. So it goes, selling auto parts is competitive and the companies that produce the best parts, prices and lowest shipping cost will get your business.

By the way, don't forget to support your local parts houses as well.

kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Kevin's car is beautiful and it deserves to be 'magnetized'.
Good job!

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Kendallville. Was somewhat of a rough car when we got it, all stock though, but it did clean up well and runs great. Wish they had given me enough magnets for everyone that has asked, I would send one your way.

Back to the post. Drop a line to Rock's customer service department about the 20,000 , or however many, registered users of the PFF site I'm sure eventually they will feature the site in their newsletter. I think it's just a matter of putting the spotlight on our corner of the preservation, restoration and modification world. Contact below.

Sometimes to get published in a paper or magazine it is necessary to write what you would like them to publish, sort of like putting the words in their mouth, or as some say, doing their job for them. Give it a try.

"If you are the administrator or member of a forum and you would like to see your website featured in an upcoming newsletter and receive a discount code to share with your members, contact cynthia@rockauto.com."

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent from Rock Auto (3/25/14) regarding PFF being featured in their monthly newsletter.

"We only feature forums in which we work with in our newsletter. Awhile back the RockAuto status got moved to "User Banned" so we are no longer able to post promotions, discounts, etc. on the forum. If we were allowed to post once again (in a designated section) we could certainly look into featuring the forum as forum of the month. We in no way try to 'spam' forums, but apparently that is what the forum decided our posts were."

Thank You,
RockAuto Marketing Department
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe its time they be allowed to post again in the proper area. I buy a lot from them because their prices are very low on most parts even after adding shipping costs. They also have parts for my other cars that I don't see elsewhere.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Possibly because they got ass-hurt when they joined here to simply spam the forum and then got banned?

I guess I was right. Now they want to strong-arm their way back on to this forum with the dangling carrot discount routine? F-em

If they want to be part of this forum, stick their banner in the ad section at the top of the page. That way anyone can click on it at any time.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-26-2014).]

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wish cliff would show a member car of the month on the PFF home page. Seeing one of our cars on the home page means more to me that plastered on RA page. Cliff can you look into possibly making that happen? could be a members vote or random. Then again if your on the home page ya should buy cliff a beer!
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I guess I was right. Now they want to strong-arm their way back on to this forum with the dangling carrot discount routine?

Hardly, they were only asked to feature PFF in their newsletter. That's it. No strong arm tactics from them. That happens to vendors when exposed to forum traffic, we have all seen this.

There are a lot of Fiero owners thankfull they are around for the assorted parts they have. Probably the majority of those that purchased from them never had an issue.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 03-26-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

I accepted long ago that no business over the border is going to send by snail mail. Why would they?

Why would they? Maybe to gain some sales across the border?

Originally posted by Stubby79:

It'd cost them time/money to head down to the post office or otherwise. They use couriers. Meaning, its a minimum $25, no matter how small the package. Anyone who's dealt with businesses on ebay or what have you should have clued into this already. Hell, you can't get a small package delivered in Canada without paying at least $12.

Interesting then that it's no problem for vendors in Hong Kong and China to make use of the postal service... and it doesn't cost $12 for shipping to Canada. Twice now I've bought 10x 10-LED bulbs for my Fieros. Both times it was less than $6 for the bulbs... including shipping (via the postal service) from Asia. If they can do it, I'm sure American vendors could mail envelopes and packages as well if they were hungry enough.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for our friends across the border. look into setting up a mailboxes ect account just across the border in the US and use it as a forwarding service for US mail. Order your parts to be delivered to your mailboxes ect box and they forward it us mail over the border to you.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Order your parts to be delivered to your mailboxes ect box and they forward it us mail over the border to you.

Oh yeah, nothing like paying for shipping twice.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kevin I just got my clutch master cylinder rebuild kit and included was a magnet with your car, very nice car!
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Csjag!

Your the first to say you got a magnet with an order. Should be fun seeing where they end up. Hopefully many Fiero owners get one with their orders and post here. Really surprised Rock has not featured an Indy yet.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rockauto is good for some things. My main issue with them is you can order a specific brand part, and get some knock off brand instead. Its sort of improper advertising. When they have good deals they are good deals though.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purchased a bunch of national branded parts there, never a problem. Even some of the off brands came as advertised. I suppose like ordering reman calipers you may get two different looking ones. Seems to be a problem at most outlets.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used Rockauto.com for all of my vehicles as long as I can remember and I will continue to use them. I have never received a part that was not as represented.

Don't like how they ship to Canada? Shop somewhere else. The fact that they don't want to work with international customers on shipping really doesn't effect the service they provide in the US.

Sometimes their prices are the lowest, sometimes their shipping gets out of hand because of their multiple warehouse setup, other times I can find the same stuff on Amazon either cheaper or with free shipping because I am a Prime member. So if it's not a good deal, I buy the parts somewhere else.

I'm not sure what IMSA GT's problem with them is, I understand them not following the rules and being banned for it, but the amount of vitriol appears to speak to a larger issue there.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
I'm not sure what IMSA GT's problem with them is

No problem. Just stating what happened. I am a little amazed at some posts on here. I have NEVER ordered a car part online other than custom items. I simply go to my local store and if they don't have it, they can get it in stock within a few days. It's interesting to see how many people act like these online stores are their life's-blood and defend them so heavily. I guess I just live in an area where things are easily available to me.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be honest in Florida I pay no sales tax on online orders whereas when I go to a local parts store I pay 7% sales tax, I am sure I have as many parts available locally as someone else but I'll give you an example: I just bought a 04 Venture van with scratched and faded headlight assembly's and parking light assembly's. I got brand new replacements from Rock auto, $43 including shipping for the parking light lenses and $75 including shipping for the headlight lenses, and they look fantastic. The local parts houses don't even have them available.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in town I have 4 auto parts stores, and I use them all plus another just a short drive away.
I prefer to shop local, one is a local store Kendallville auto parts part's are good advice is good , and free.
I also buy from Rock auto , do I think there the best NO . I use all of them just depending on how fast I need,
or can get the part, or how much I can spend on it.

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 03-28-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't like how they ship to Canada? Shop somewhere else.

Damn, that's a brilliant idea! Why couldn't I think of that?

The fact that they don't want to work with international customers on shipping really doesn't effect the service they provide in the US.

I never suggested it did.

Seriously though, your attitude about this might not be so cavalier if RockAuto charged you over 8x as much for shipping (as in the example posted above) to ship to Minnesota.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-28-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I never suggested it did.

Seriously though, your attitude about this might not be so cavalier if RockAuto charged you over 8x as much for shipping (as in the example posted above) to ship to Minnesota.

I understand your frustration, but I am sure that there are retailers in Canada that don't charge as much for shipping to Canadian addresses as they do to the US. My attitude is not 'cavalier', it is based on threads like these, where Rock Auto, or the Fiero Store for that matter, is mentioned, that there are a few who need to remind everyone how horrible their experience was while the vendor, on the whole, actually delivers quite good service.

And as far as buying parts locally, I am not going to spend twice as much on house labeled crap parts from a national chain like Autozone, just because it's down the street, when I can get the brand of part I want (Delco, Delphi, Denso, etc...) for less from Rock Auto or an Amazon partner vendor.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am sure that there are retailers in Canada that don't charge as much for shipping to Canadian addresses as they do to the US.

Oh great, I can save on shipping but pay three times as much for the parts.

My attitude is not 'cavalier', it is based on threads like these, where Rock Auto, or the Fiero Store for that matter, is mentioned, that there are a few who need to remind everyone how horrible their experience was while the vendor, on the whole, actually delivers quite good service.

This is a forum, it is for expressing an opinion. It's unfortunate that our opinions don't always agree on everything, but that's just the way it is. Not once have I ever suggested that RockAuto in general sucks or that everyone should boycott them or whatever. I simply mention what a ripoff their shipping prices are to Canada. Maybe if RockAuto sees enough people b*tch about this they'll look into their shipping policies and change them. What's the worse that could happen... they might make a whole bunch more sales to Canada??? Oh no!

I understand your frustration...

And as far as buying parts locally, I am not going to spend twice as much on house labeled crap parts from a national chain like Autozone, just because it's down the street, when I can get the brand of part I want (Delco, Delphi, Denso, etc...) for less from Rock Auto or an Amazon partner vendor.

Honestly, I don't think you understand my frustration at all. You want the opportunity to buy brand name parts at the best price possible, yet you feel that anyone north of the 49th should just keep their trap shut about ripoff shipping fees. Sorry, but as long as RockAuto has this unfair policy, you're going to hear about it here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-30-2014).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Honestly, I don't think you understand my frustration at all. You want the opportunity to buy brand name parts at the best price possible, yet you feel that anyone north of the 49th should just keep their trap shut about ripoff shipping fees. Sorry, but as long as RockAuto has this unfair policy, you're going to hear about it here.

You're right... I don't understand. I am sorry that there are apparently no vendors like Rock Auto in Canada. I am sorry that Rock Auto doesn't handle 'International' shipping well.

I never told you to keep your trap shut.

Oh great, I can save on shipping but pay three times as much for the parts.

I don't think you read what you think read there...

Edit: Ahhh... it turns out I didn't read what I thought I read there... Looks like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I am sorry you live in Canada, I guess, er ah, eh?

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 03-30-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am sorry that there are apparently no vendors like Rock Auto in Canada.

I'm sorry about that as well. When I order from RockAuto (yes, I do buy from RockAuto), I have them send my order to a "drop ship" location on the US side of the border. The problem is that the round trip to pick up the goods takes about three hours. It's not something I'd want to do every week, but once every couple of months is bearable. The savings on the parts make the trips worthwhile, plus I fill up the tank and a large jerrycan with cheap US gas.

I am sorry you live in Canada, I guess, er ah, eh?

No no no... nothing to be sorry about there. Except for more expensive auto parts and gas, I'm pretty happy to be living here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-31-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock