Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What are you using for Firewall Insulation?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What are you using for Firewall Insulation? by DKcustoms
Started on: 03-05-2014 05:42 PM
Replies: 15 (1076 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 03-09-2014 12:25 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just removed all the crappy old black insulation that came on my 86 SE and I am looking to replace it with something different, but that also looks good.

I am going to look around for something in a spray can, simply for the ease of it, but I am open to anything.

I saw that Fieroguru did this, not really my style, but you get the idea

Working on a budget here, being 21 and in school, but any idea is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I threw it all away on mine too, just sprayed it matt black. What I have seen on a lot of cars at cruise-in shows and looks pretty good is firewalls and fender wells sprayed with bedliner.
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Lizard Skin, it's a spray on system for heat and sound, it works.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
REFLECTIX®

Can't beat it for performance.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I threw it all away on mine too, just sprayed it matt black. What I have seen on a lot of cars at cruise-in shows and looks pretty good is firewalls and fender wells sprayed with bedliner.

Do you feel like you get a lot of noise and heat in the cabin?

I have a gallon of black Plastidip sitting on my shelf and a sprayer, its tempting...
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From another thread:

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here was my first one:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-083056.html

On of the last swaps I did I used West Marine Noise Barrier 216858 (1/2" thick) and comes in a 54x32 bulk roll with a retail price is 114.99. One roll will do 2 cars so its about $65 per car with shipping. It is 1/2" thick and multilayered. It starts with a sticky back, then a layer of foam, then a layer of rubber type material, 2nd layer of foam, then foil covered. It was specifically designed to block heat and sound from inboard marine engines. Here is what it looks like installed on a fiero with a mostly stock firewall (I did remove a bunch of brackets on the firewall):

For my LS4/F40 swap, I am planning to use the same West Marine product, but place a 16ga steel panel in front of it:

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used polished stainless over some insulation - similar to the mild steel post

------------------
woodys 427

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never noticed any more heat or noise. Personally, I like an engine sound so to me it wouldnt be a bad thing. I also left off the hood insulation on my SuperBee with a 413/ 4 bbl and dual glass packs...yeah its noisy...
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:
I have a gallon of black Plastidip sitting on my shelf and a sprayer, its tempting...

I do not know the exact heat that builds up there, nor the flash point of Plasti Dip. That being said, I would be VERY cautions about using something like PlastiDip so close to the exhaust manifold. I would think that is just asking for trouble. Whatever you use, I would make sure it is made for high heat at the least.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With my old SBC fiero the firewall panel would be about 170 degrees after a summer drive.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the stuff this person sells.. http://www.ebay.com/usr/dossmightymatt

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

PFF
System Bot
RACE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they came out with something that could make the cabin nearly silent I'd be all over it. Noise is my primary complaint about the car.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 03-08-2014).]

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

If they came out with something that could make the cabin nearly silent I'd be all over it. Noise is my primary complaint about the car.

Strip out the entire interior and install sound deadining insulation and there would be a significant difference.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

RACE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I installed my new carpet kit I left the old carpet in and installed the new over top of it at somebody's suggestion. It worked well but it's not as quiet as I'd like yet. I should go back to my build thread and see who recommended that.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't anyone make anything black? I do not like the foil look at all.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up with an extra layer of carpet over the back panel in the cab and it reduced interior noise quite a bit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock