Notchie Arrowheads fr The Fiero Store by Dougie Murder
Started on: 02-27-2014 11:33 PM
Replies: 8 (361 views)
Last post by: s550w on 03-01-2014 10:56 PM
Dougie Murder

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the arrowhead emblems that go on the notchie sail panel frame from the Fiero Store.com
http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=68876&d=226&p=1

Couldnt find any info here about them so I'll post my thoughts.

First of all, they came in a huge box (10 x 8) which is completely unnecessary.

Besides that, they are pretty decent replicas of the original. The red is a candy apple dark red and looks good. The silver cross in the center is good, but the black border does have areas where paint is missing and the edges of the plastic are a bit jagged in some spots.
One of the arrowheads has part of the gate (a gate is the open spot in the mold where the plastic can flow in) still attached to it so i'll have to cut it off carefully with an exacto knife.
I'm sure once they are in they will look fine and from 3 feet away you won't see imperfections.

They are not too bad overall, and finding NOS parts is hard now so there really isn't many options.
If you need new emblems (and you probably do) these are a good replacement.

They were expensive to ship up to Canada (Fierostore.com always is..and a smaller box might have helped) But i bet shipping within the USA is good.

[This message has been edited by Dougie Murder (edited 02-27-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting your experience. My concern is the Sun. I wonder if it will bleach the red? I know the OEM's lasted a long time, but I seem to recall someone saying their faded within a few years... (not sure where they bought theirs, though...
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen other threads on here about those arrowheads and they didn't get very good reviews.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-081993.html and many others. You have to search the archives to find most of the threads as most are old enough to havebeen shuffles off to there.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The large box makes little difference on shipping. If anything it will improve the chances it will not get lost.

Anyone who has original ones can strip them and repaint them on the back side. They are not hard to restore.

My wheel centers came from a hub cap and is of the same material and design. I repainted them and they look just as new. I did one set of B pillar emblems and they also came out fine. Testors or Tamya model paints work fine. Just polish up the out side and they are as good as new.

The old faded ones are easy to find in junk yards and just pop out.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dougie Murder:
They were expensive to ship up to Canada (Fierostore.com always is..and a smaller box might have helped) But i bet shipping within the USA is good.

What shipping method was used? US Postal Service to Canada Post has been cheapest for me & trackable online to my door.

Dougie Murder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Anyone who has original ones can strip them and repaint them on the back side. They are not hard to restore.

I tried to strip some old ones and just melted the plastic and made a mess.

[This message has been edited by Dougie Murder (edited 02-28-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dougie Murder:

I tried to strip some old ones and just melted the plastic and made a mess.

What did you do to strip them?

I only used Greased Lightning and the paint just came off and no harm to the cap I did. The cap plastic was the same as the emblems.

If you use any kind of paint stripper it will melt most plastics.
Dougie Murder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

What did you do to strip them?

I only used Greased Lightning and the paint just came off and no harm to the cap I did. The cap plastic was the same as the emblems.

If you use any kind of paint stripper it will melt most plastics.

I used several solvents from weak to aggressive. MEK and toluene were brutal. Xylene deformed the ridges inside the red area. IPA did nothing.
It was a pain in the ass so i just gave in and bought these.

They are probably not going to hold up to the sun like the originals. I'm going to guess they are made in china(?) and whatever crap paint they use has no UV resistance. Still...they will look better than the 30 year old ones i had.
s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a set in 2006 I think. They have been faded many years already. Car is always outside in the sun.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock