What's the best year and model Fiero? by Ventura
Started on: 02-26-2014 10:21 PM
Replies: 26 (4698 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 03-01-2014 08:02 AM
Ventura

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a quick look in the archives to see if this had been discussed before. So, what's the best Fiero GM ever made?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It'll be an '88, but there will be no agreement as to whether a notchie (Formula) or fastback (GT) is best.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ventura:
So, what's the best Fiero GM ever made?

Define "best"
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Older IMSAs just cant beat their look.

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 02-26-2014).]

Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Define "best"

The best engineering, quality and performance............
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be the one GM didnt build. But the PPL here have, doing the Trans swaps and 3800SC swaps and other swaps.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the '85 GT was rated to have a bit more power than the later years, but overall the '88 has the best engineering and quality.
Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree..........the '88 is in a different class than the earlier models.

[This message has been edited by Ventura (edited 02-27-2014).]

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obvious the 88.
As long as it's not a 84 I don't mind.
Though the notchback vs fast back is a diff question
I love the notchback over fastback, but I do want to buy a fastback also, just to have both body styles lol
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I vote for the '90 model with the 3.2 DOHC engine and power steering as the best.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best build quality would have been the 86 models, before GM changed plant manager and started cutting corners.
Best engineered would be 88.
Best performance would be the Formula.

IMHO

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-27-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I think the '85 GT was rated to have a bit more power than the later years, but overall the '88 has the best engineering and quality.

This is what I heard from people that know and have owned all years and followed them closely. Although the quality part could be very controversial. It was GM 80s quality. Back then in 88 or 89 I remember racing a stock 85GT and he beat the crap of my 88 Formula. I drove once an automatic one and I don't know why but it felt stronger. Now in stock form any 88 will be more valuable than any comparable one of prior years.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some have suggested the 84s have the best build quality.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best.....Looking?

I would vote for the 85 GT

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 suspension will generally put the 88's on top of most people's "best" lists.

However, if we are talking about Fieros today to buy or stay away from, my answer would be this: The best Fiero would be the one which is rot free, having been well maintained, and is in good working order.

As for best performing, I am not sure I would hand it right to an 88 Formula. I have an 85 SE V6 with the 4 speed muncie, which definately feels quicker to me than the 88 Formula I had with a 5 speed getrag. I miss a couple MGP's due to the lack of a 5th gear overdrive with the 85, but otherwise, I like how the powertrain performs a lot better. My Formulas would out handle the 85 however.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Performance is a lot more than acceleration.
My 85 GT was quick, but rode like a wagon. My 86 SE rode better than the 85, but compared to my Formula, neither car was that good. Braking, handling and ride comfort quality in the 88 is so much better than the earlier cars. Of course the Formula is a bunch quicker, too, but that might have something to do with the V-8 in the back......
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Performance is a lot more than acceleration.

I happen to agree with that as I autocross, but for guys who only drag race.... performance is acceleration.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always been told best stock engineering - 88
best stock duke 87 ( no balancer )
best as in Notch or GT depends on what you like
best overall the one you have
and of course best looking " mine of course" LOL
skeetshooter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skeetshooterSend a Private Message to skeetshooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had and 86 back until I sold it in 95, got my 88 two years ago. Guess I like the 88 the best except the nose sits up too high. need to be lowered about one or two inches. The 88 seems to handle a little better.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Performance wise, the best Fiero is a 1988 GT with the 2.8L and a 5 speed, due to the performance upgrades that were made the the suspension of that year.

However, the "best" Fiero is completely up to individual's opinion.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Performance wise, the best Fiero is a 1988 GT with the 2.8L and a 5 speed, due to the performance upgrades that were made the the suspension of that year.

Isn't the Formula lighter?
PFF
System Bot
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hands down the 88 formula if you are talking performance. It was the best design year and the lightest V6 produced. It had the best performance numbers of all the models.

If you are talking looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the 87-88 notchbacks, but also the GTs in a different light. The SEs and 85 GT would be next, and the bumperpad notchies would be the low men on the totem pole.

But hey, that is my opinion... I could be wrong.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever one you have in your driveway at the moment.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well of course it was the 1983 DGP concept Rick B

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is a lot to this question for sure. If you are also talking about what it will take to modify one and cost associated with that could come into play. I have had an 88 formula and currently have a 87 fastback. I personally like the fastback look better, but that is also due to the wide body conversion I wanted to do.

I never autoX either or them so it was hard to really tell the difference personally on how they compared driving. Since I wanted to modify mine with new body and engine swap, I simply looked for the car in the best condition for my budget.

If you are simply looking for stock and potentially resale value, I guess the 88s are it. Probably need to look at a t-top model as well.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The t-top 88's go for a good buck, but anyone looking for a driver I would advice to stay away. Replacement seals are just too hard to come by and expensive. I sold a beautiful 88 Formula t-top due to what it would have cost me to fix the t-top seals to a state where it would be driveable in the rain.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best Fiero is the one that performs the way you want it to. There are many paths to success. So many parts are direct bolt-ins. So many more can be modified to work. You can make any Fiero be what you want. If I were to hand pick components, I'd go with an 87 notchie with an 88 cradle swap. A 3800SC and HD auto trans. All new rubber bushings. The SOFTEST springs that would maintain the control level I wanted. The brake booster upgrade as a minimum.

These are the kinds of choices you will be making no matter what you buy. These cars are no longer factory original nor do they perform like it. Very few cars for sale will be well maintained, turn key cars. You're gonna have to fix stuff so why worry about how it came from the factory?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock