Ratchet straps are good emergency tools as well by spcearle
Started on: 02-22-2014 10:55 AM
Replies: 7 (270 views)
Last post by: Khw on 02-23-2014 01:24 AM
spcearle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yesturday I was driving home from the gym in Brooklyn when I hit another pothole( crater ).... Well this time it took out my drivers front lower ball joint... Sheeted the bolt right off... Well they had a hell of a time towing it and then when they got back to my garage they had to leave it on the street several spots away from the garage door...: so I pulled the wheel and figured it would be worth a try and it worked... Slid the lower control arm back into position and weaves a ratchet strap all over it and the upper to hold it into place... Was able to maneuver the car around and back it into the garage... So along with duct tape it can be a handy emergency tool to have around I guess
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah our cars definantly do not like potholes. Ive had struts blown out from them as well as broken headlight buckets.
spcearle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last week I lost my rear tire and I would have rather lost another tire any day of the week then this.... Luckily it's a warranty part it's just gonna be a pita to pull and get back together again... And I may have jacked up my rack some but won't know till I get the ball joint replaced
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a ball joint break on a Lincoln Town Car. I didnt have a strap, but I did have some rope. Tied her up and drove it home...

Everyone be very aware of all the potholes from this winter. They can even be hidden in puddles of melting snow. Weve had lots of cars with major damage from them up to a foot deep. Im driving in the left lane on surface streets as much as possible...curb lane is a pinball game.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very clever! I've never had that problem but if it ever occurs, I'll get the ratchet tie downs from my trunk and get to work. Thanks for the info.

Just before I hit "submit reply," my wife reminded me of the time we needed to put a huge, heavy brand new double oven into the back of my pickup. I tried everything to get it up some thick 2x12s and she said, "Dear, why don't you get your engine hoist and wrap some of those ratchet tie downs around the oven and lift it into the truck? Smart woman.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also good for breaking bolts loose. I used one to loosen frozen bolts on my AC compressor. Hooked one end to the box end wrench on the bolt and the other end on the cross brace under the gas tank.

Used one to take the pressure off my dog bone bolt so I could slide it out. One end on the intake, other end on the trunk latch.

Can use it to tighten the serpentine belt.

Can use it to adjust the tension setting on the deck lid springs.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about ratchet tools, but a chain and a binder made a great "emergency metal bending tool" for me not to long ago. We bought a Grizzly (giant metal box with a angled top that you dump loads of dirt on to seperate rocks from the dirt with) a few months back and when they were loading it the wheel well on the trailor got bent. I "hoped" it'd be okay, but about 10 miles down the road I pulled over to check on it. The wheel well had been bent down and was cutting into the tire. I didn't think we would make it all the way back to the yard from the auction place without blowing the tire, but I didn't have any pry bars or hammers to bend/beat the wheel well back with. I had a short cheater bar for the binder, so I unbound the chain and hooked it around the bent down part of the wheel wells lip. Several applications of latching the binder and then reseting the chain later, I had the wheel well bent back up away from the tire. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done. The suckiest part is when I first pulled over there was one nasty odor in the air. I was down near the Salt Lake, so I thought maybe it was just the smell from the lake (it has a rotten egg smell when you get near it) but it just smelled worse than that. I started looking around and low and behold, I pulled over right next to a "mostly" decompossed deer... I pulled the trailor another 50' or so down the road before I "fixed" the wheel well.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Can use it to adjust the tension setting on the deck lid springs.

I used one for that, LOL.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock