Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Are there any other original owners out there ??........... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are there any other original owners out there ??........... by Orig88GT-NC
Started on: 02-22-2014 01:16 AM
Replies: 40 (1031 views)
Last post by: spirit on 08-01-2018 07:49 PM
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just curious if there is any other members on the forum that are the original owners of their car?
I feel a little embarrassed to admit that I have had my car for almost 26 years and still enjoy driving it.

I bought my GT in March 1988 in Durham NC. By this time in March, the Fiero GT's were kind of scarce on the dealer lots.... but I had to have one and it HAD to be a GT, loaded with the Muncie trans. The salesman must have thought I was crazy, but he went along with it and located (1) left in the state that matched my request. The dealer did some trading and got it to his lot within 48 hours. I worked late the day the car arrived on the lot, and decided I would drive by the dealer after hours (10:30pm) to take a look at it without a salesman hovering over my shoulder, so I pull up and it looks like their closed,....but I don't see the car anywhere on the lot...Then from the distance I hear someone yelling my name!!!!...(crap...its the salesman) its over here!!!!!..... its over here!!!....he screams... So I wonder towards the showroom, and there in the middle of the showroom , spinning on one of those turntables is the car with about 20 people gawking at it....A sickening feeling came over me and I swear I COULD REALLY SEE $$$$ Dollar signs floating off the car....Let's take it for a drive he says, (it's now after 11pm). I tried to get out of it by explaining it was late and I didn't want to what for them to get the car out of the showroom (in hopes of calming his enthusiasm of a big sale).... too late they were moving out the door.
Long story shortened, Drove the car at midnight through downtown Durham fell in love with it, haggled on the price until 2am and ...........ended up driving it home. (No Regrets) and am still enjoying the hell out it...

1988 GT 1G2PG11194JP210174
White( The only choice I had), Gold Diamond Spoke Wheels & Moon Roof
V6, 5spd muncie, all options but the seats and defroster
Now has 104k miles, and it's a toy for the weekends.

Currently the car is still in great running condition with no rust, but the paint is showing its age. It is getting a little face lift right now that some people would consider sacrilegious, but that is for another time...

Is there anyone else out there, willing to confess??

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pdemondo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pics?
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think Larry Jackson has an 88 that he bought new. Maybe he will chime in himself.
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pdemondo:

pics?

Yeah I probably should have posted a picture or two.
These are from a couple of Months ago....

And these are today....

WARNING WARNING WARNING
The following pictures may be offensive to some viewers !!! I will have to explain my actions at a later time...

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTH? Why man, why?

Your right, I am deeply offended by those last two pics. So deeply that you may have a liability issue on your hands. I will speak with my attorney regarding this offensive behavior and may seek damages.

Obviously I am kidding...

Can't wait to see what your up to.

We are the first owners of a 87 Duke. Well first registered owners anyway.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://imageshack.com/a/img...852/march1987wn6.jpg when it was new

http://imageshack.com/a/img543/7409/urq8.jpg a few weeks ago.

http://imageshack.com/a/img211/9868/036lsl.jpg 2012 road trip

My 87 GT bought new in March 87. It gets driven on road trips any more. 145K+ miles on the clock.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I was the original owner of my 3,,, they would not be in the shape they are in now if I were.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I wish I was the original owner of my 3,,, they would not be in the shape they are in now if I were.

You're right! They'd be wrapped around poles instead...

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered my '84 Fiero SE in Sep1983, rec'd it 08May1984. Continuously licensed since; now has over 363,000 kilometers on it (225,500 miles). It's a daily driver except in wet salty conditions (lots of that this winter!). Then it stays in the barn... 30th Fiero birthday coming up!

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

I was just curious if there is any other members on the forum that are the original owners of their car?
I feel a little embarrassed to admit that I have had my car for almost 26 years and still enjoy driving it.

Is there anyone else out there, willing to confess??

Embarrassed? Why? Lol! I'm not sure which I enjoy most; still driving the '84 4 spd after almost 30 years; the '88 Formula 5 spd that I got in 2008 with only 5,200 kilometers on it (now 23,000) or the '86 2.5L 5 spd that I rescued for $800 to have a spare in case the '84 goes out of service for some time (it's due for a breakdown... isn't it?). I swapped an '87 2.5L into the '86; '88 wheels, '85 seats & lots of other bits & pcs - it's nice to have the 5 spd at highway speeds (compared to the 4:10 4 spd).

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 02-22-2014).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

You're right! They'd be wrapped around poles instead...

Sure wish this website had a "Like" button for this one
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I would like to know is if original owners knew about upcoming changes for 88? Watching old Motor Trend videos, they initially praised the 84 for power and interior, and then gradually performed an about change poking fun at the interior and the lagging wait for 5spd Getrag.

Did buyers know about the suspension, power steering, and DOHC rumors and were holding out? Perhaps that also contirbuted to the 130k to 26k production decline? Perhaps hesitating buyers were tired of the MMC and holding out for FMC? When they announced the shutdown in March 88, did that cause a slight surge in sales? Were dealers refusing to budge on MSRP? Were dealers encouraged to sell from direct stock and try to refuse custom ordering? Most new car inventory stays on the lot for 30-90 days. Was it much worse for Fiero?

I guess I'd just like to know the attitude and perception on the sales side of Fiero.

As for Pontiac Video beat, it seemed corporate Pontiac had a tough time getting dealers enthusiastic to sell a GTP capable car. Ocean Pontiac seemed to be the only success story and the video seemed to try and encourage the dealer to ramp up inventory (did Videobeat staff some how know that if they didn't get orders increased, the Fiero was in jeopardy?) Were dealers refusing to keep them in stock? I watched a retired Ford VP talk about how they had to intentionally stick Pintos on the back of transport trailers blocking in-demand F150 trucks. And they'd tell the dealer they couldnt have the F150's unless they took the Pintos on the back first.

Of all the stock dealer brochures I own, Fiero seemed to get a large portion of coverage. They really pushed the car. Seems they knew it was in trouble. Just my opinion.
PFF
System Bot
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had my 84 SE Auto for only 20 years in March ................
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In late 1986 I purchased a 1987 burgandy GT and drove it till 1990 in new Jersey. The person who purchased the car thanked me for keeping it so clean. It had 32,000 miles on it. In 2011 I purchased the same looking car but this one never leaving me. I wish I new if my first car was still going?
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

What I would like to know is if original owners knew about upcoming changes for 88? Watching old Motor Trend videos, they initially praised the 84 for power and interior, and then gradually performed an about change poking fun at the interior and the lagging wait for 5spd Getrag. ............

I guess I'd just like to know the attitude and perception on the sales side of Fiero.

To be honest, No, I wasn't paying that much attention to the Fiero's...

I was familiar with the basic 4cyl coup's and had gone to a dealer in 84 and looked them over. But I hadn't seen any literature for the GT or even the car until 1988 ....

I had been looking to buy a sports car since the summer of 87 and had looked at the MR2's, 280Z's( 300Z's were out yet) Dodge Stealth's etc....(I had ruled most of these out because I didn't like the fit / size or price) and Fiero's GT's were not even on my radar at this point....

My first exposer to a GT Fastback was one sitting in the employee parking lot of were I worked that a co-worker had just bought..... At first I couldn't recognize what it was (but I did love the shape of it)....
Started doing all of my homework on the car's spec's etc. and got to sit in one.... and decided this was the car I had to have....

Back in those days we didn't have no dang INTRANET.. and I don't remember seeing much advertising for the Fieros on TV or in Magazines, and certainly don't remember seeing anything on the fastback GT's.....
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recall looking at them and sitting in a few thinking I wish back in 85-86 but it wasn't to be. Young family with small income meant no new cars for many years and the ones I did get had to have 4 seats! We did end up with a F body but the family started growing so we had to trade it for a 4 door. I never stopped liking the Fiero but it's time for me didn't happen until this past year, life's funny that way! The dealership that was near me never had more than one at a time and they sat on an Indy for a couple years as well, always liked that Indy.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. Per my count I am the 3rd original owner to chime in this thread. Hope more show up. Bought my 88 Formula as a factory order (thru Military sales, veteran Dad) on December 1987 and received it I think somewhere in March 1988. Back then I was a kid (23yrs) and all I cared was 0-60 times in my budget. Where I lived 8sec was quick back then unless you had the 6sec V8s (Camaro/TransAM) or the very rare and unknown Buick GN. The Pontiac Sunbird Turbo was quicker (7.9s?) but ugly. I also considered a lot the Honda CRX. I still remember the 1st Fiero I saw. It was a blue 87 GT at the drive-thru window of a Burger King. Love at first sight. Also loved the V6 rumble. So after graduating from college I saved some $$ but all I could afford back then was the Formula. So that I ordered. I never took a test drive. My dad told me I was crazy buying a two seater without an automatic. But as we know at that age we still don't hear our parents. One day the salesman called me and told me the car arrived and pickup would be next day. That night I went to the dealership after work to take a peek. Dealer was closed and it was at night. I saw the car close to the fence and the night guard (bad area) came close to watch me. I told him, "Hey, you see that car? It is mine!!". He look at me with that look of "Yeah right...".
Anyway, next day I went to the base to take delivery. I was so happy. The main thing I remember is how extremely high the shifter felt and I didn't know why the 5th gear. It was my 1st stick shift car (barely knew how to drive them) and always used 1st-4th. Then later realized the 5th was to save fuel cruising but back then I was always driving at WOT so why 5th?? Live and learn :-D Now car has a bit over 200k miles, went from 2.8 to 3.4 to 5.7 engines and I barely drive it because interests have changed. But something sure is I will never sell it because it has been my auto university and have helped me to know a lot of very nice people & friends ;-)

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered my 87GT in Dec. 86. It took longer than normal to get a spoiler delete car. I have taken pretty good care of her. Still wears the original paint and has 86K on it. It is a 5 spd with a 427 sbc, FI, big brakes, sway bars, lowered, 18.7 gallon SS gas tank and performance struts and shocks. I have built a lot of cars in the last 50 years but this is by far still my favorite. I remember seeing my first one at a dealer. He asked if I wanted to go for a test ride. You know I said yes! We went up an elevator to the 3 rd floor where the new demo cars were parked. It was poorly lit. The salesman said he would back the car out and get it out of the ramp. The first thing I saw was big red letters saying PONTIAC..........the first thing I heard was the exhaust note echoing off the block walls. I was sold before I ever drove the first foot in the 87 GT 5spd. I ordered my shortly after the demo. I had been driving a Chevette (anyone remember those) and on my test drive and started off in second gear. I was a little excited to day the least. I thought the Fiero was a rocket ship! I guess I spent to many years driving the Chevette and had forgotten my 65 GTO or my 69 - 70 and 71 442's. I still get a charge out of driving it. I guess that first encounter in the dealership parking ramp still has me.............

------------------
woodys 427

GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still own and drive the 86 GT that I bought new at the end of July 86. I was looking for something sporty, out of the ordinary, and happened into the Pontiac Dealership just a day or two after the 1st 5 speed that they got rolled off the transport. They had several automatics and 4 speed GTs but only one 5speed. It wasn't my first choice of colors ( Gold Metallic ) but I definitely wanted the Getrag. Over the years the Gold has grown on me and now I'm really glad that I got that color. I took it for a test drive and told them it was sold. I picked it up the next day and still love to get in it and drive. It was my daily Driver for five years then mostly sat in the garage for about 10 or 12 years, driven just a few miles each summer to keep fresh gas in it. I pulled it out in 2004 cleaned it up and started driving it to shows and cruises and the occasional short road trip.Now it's got around 53,000 miles on it and still looks great, and is mostly original.
There are still a few more original owners around. Fiero Focus, The NIFE clubs publication, did a feature on original owners a while back and had input from a half dozen or so of us.
Mark

[This message has been edited by GTMN (edited 02-24-2014).]

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad doesn't post on here much but he is the original owner of his Black 85GT. It's a pretty neat story:

My dad has always been a car enthusiast (also has a 62 Vette that I love!), and really was interested in the Fieros when they came on the market. His brother worked as a training specialist for GM and he followed the Fiero's production from the beginning. Like Brit mentioned, he was in a young family situation with my sister and I both being under 5 years of age, and another 2 seater car in the household just didn't make sense.

Then in early 1985, he received news that he had won the "MAC Again, Back Again" sweepstakes - a national contest that was being run to celebrate the return of the MAC ATM card. The grand prize was a brand new, 1985 Fiero coupe. Of course, having kept up with the Fiero, Dad knew that the GT was going to be introduced mid-year so he negotiated to pay a little for the upgrade to the GT and later that summer, the Black 85GT came home. It now has about 85k on it but for many years, Dad daily drove it back and forth to work.

Little did he know what a "monster" it would create in the family. When I turned 18, I desperately wanted my own Fiero (by that point he had already added an 87 coupe to the mix as a project) and at our peak, the family Fiero farm had 26 Fieros on it - I had 3 driveable Fieros, my mom had one, my sister had 2 and my dad had his 85GT and numerous projects and parts cars. Today, he is down to his 85GT and 3 parts cars and I am down to 2 and living four hours away.

~ Jen

------------------
Silver 1988 GT
Cobalt Blue 85 GT 3.4

[This message has been edited by Fierochic88 (edited 02-25-2014).]

Fierosmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought my '84 brand new in June of 84, first of the silver/grey cars released that year.
Still own it, only drive it to club events or maybe a sunday drive now.. only has just over 100K.
Mostly original but many upgrades, improvements during that time.

Jim

------------------
The only thing more Fun than Driving a Fiero, is Learning how to Work on one...

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierochic88:

at our peak, the family Fiero farm had 26 Fieros on it - I had 3 driveable Fieros, my mom had one, my sister had 2 and my dad had his 85GT and numerous projects and parts cars.
~ Jen

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

I bought my '87 Coupe in January 2011 from the original owner in Arkansas. She loved the car but she had let it run down over the last year or so of her ownership, which is why she was finally ready to sell it.
PFF
System Bot
MrMWS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrMWSSend a Private Message to MrMWSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I inherited my Fiero from my Mother, who purchased it new on Sept. 13th, 1985. She kept it perfect condition even as she used it as a daily driver. She passed in 2008. I got it running in April of 2010 after sitting in my folks garage for 3 years. It has 71500 miles on it now, I store it in the winters (Nov. 1st - Mar. 31st.), and do about 1800 to 2200 miles a year. Except for the custom wheels, it is all stock. 4 cyl., automatic, P/W, A/C, cruise, tilt. Tan interior. In the future, I hope to lower the stance. I have won numerous awards in the many shows I attend. More in the judged shows, but some in the popular vote shows. I love this car and the Fiero community.
MrMWS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrMWSSend a Private Message to MrMWSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MrMWS

36 posts
Member since Oct 2012

Originally posted by MrMWS:

I inherited my Fiero from my Mother, who purchased it new on Sept. 13th, 1985. She kept it perfect condition even as she used it as a daily driver. She passed in 2008. I got it running in April of 2010 after sitting in my folks garage for 3 years. It has 71500 miles on it now, I store it in the winters (Nov. 1st - Mar. 31st.), and do about 1800 to 2200 miles a year. Except for the custom wheels, it is all stock. 4 cyl., automatic, P/W, A/C, cruise, tilt. Tan interior. In the future, I hope to lower the stance. I have won numerous awards in the many shows I attend. More in the judged shows, but some in the popular vote shows. I love this car and the Fiero community.

Black84originalowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black84originalownerSend a Private Message to Black84originalownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purchased mine 2-15-84. Just had the 30 birthday party. Party quiz below was a hit. Had to go to the tie breaker for the winner.
The 30 year Fiero quiz (Winner may receive a 1984 Pontiac Fiero):
1. What were the original first two colors offered by Pontiac for the Fiero?
a) Black & Red
b) White and black
c) Black and white
d) White & Red
2. The Fiero front hood emblem features a flying horse (see hint), it is the___?
a) “Phoenix”
b) “Zeus”
c) “Solstice”
d) “Pegasus”
3. The engine selections for the 1984 Fiero included ___?
a) 2.8 Liter V6
b) 3.7 Liter Ti-Vec with 305 HP
c) 2.0 Liter Hi tech
d) 2.5 Liter Iron Duke
4. The 84 Fiero Sport Coupe base MSRP (Manufactures Suggested Retail Price) was ____?
a) $10,000
b) $7,999
c) $9,515
d) $8,490
5. The Fiero is a two seat car that includes ___ ash trays & ___ cup holders? ( NO partial credit)
a) 1 and 2
b) 2 and 2
c) 2 and 1
d) 2 and zero
6. Fiero 84 base model (the “Coupe”) and the “Sport Coupe” standard wheels/tires were:
a) 195/70 14’s WS6 Steel donuts
b) 185/70 15’s Alloys with 115 mm bolt pattern
c) 215/60 14’s High Tech Al wheels
d) 185/80 13’s “steel wheels”
7. The final assembly point of the Pontiac Fiero was:
a) London Ontario
b) Detroit Michigan
c) Fairbanks Alaska
d) Pontiac Michigan
8. A common nickname of the actual _____’s Fiero is:
a) Night Rider
b) Day Dreamer
c) Dog Gone It
d) The Black _itch (starts with “B”)
9. Fiero headlights ______ _____?
a) Are It
b) Go Down (Note: quiz error this is also correct answer)
c) Pop Corn
d) Pop Up
10. Pain and Gain featured a 1988 Formula?
a) false
b) maybe
c) No
d) Yes
Bonus Question:
What “action” packed movie featured a Fiero (yet supposedly not) and the “Fiero” drove up stairs to get “coach” near the end?
(two words) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
TIE BREAKER #1: Closest without going over wins:
1984 Sport Coupe optional AM/FM ETR Stereo Radio w/clock option cost was; $ _____.00
TIE BREAKER #2: Should/only if #1 not determine a winner (closest):
How many “Super Duty” Indy Pace cars were made?: _________
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you gave away your fiero on a quiz??!?!?! that's insane.
Black84originalowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black84originalownerSend a Private Message to Black84originalownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gave away a brand new 84 (Ferris Bueller edition)
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just about to start a thread about original owners and i thot to search first and found this thread. So: i first heard of the Fiero from some car mag that had a little blurb in it like "will Pontiac produce a 2 seat sports car with 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 wheel independent suspension, rack and pinion steering?" i followed reports of the P-car for the next two or three years until one day a friend said that they were in at the Pontiac Dealer. The very next day i went in and bought mine at the Pontiac dealer in Fresno, California, December 10, 1983. i still have her and drive her everyday that the roads don't have salt on them. It wasn't always that way however, as she has sat for long times needing repair as i lacked either the funds or the know how to fix her. Thanks to this forum i can get the know how.
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered my 1985 SE V6 from a car broker thru Tracy Cadillac/Pontiac in Tracy, Ca.....I have owned it ever since.....Used it for traveling/camping around the west for 13 years, commuted to work those years also; Now modified with 3.4 f-body engine, Getrag 5 spd, 88 rear subframe suspension and brakes all around, and late model GT quarters.

I was into boats and boating before I turned 12 (1972)...then my dentist bought a Pantera.....He could have pulled a tooth without novocaine while I looked at that car! First road test I ever read was Motor Trends "Mr. Ford's Pantera"...I vividly remember the line about approaching a turn and spotting a puddle....But the Pantera sailed thru on it's Goodyear Arriva tires......I later found out how terrible the quality and ergonomics of those fancy Italian cars was.....The Fiero is more dependable and far more comfortable than the fancy supercars of the 60s, 70s and even thru the 80s......And a LOT cheaper to own and operate!
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read about the P car project while in Germany. I was driving a 914 at the time. Saw an 84 2M4 at the PX and went to the new car sales office to talk about ordering one. Waited til Feb 1985 to order a 2M6 SE. Took delivery in June of 1985.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first Fiero was a white, 4 speed 85 GT that I purchased in spring of 85.
I added some Progressive wheels (Centerline knockoffs) and a DGP whaletail. That's what was on it when I traded it for a Firebird Formula in 88. (Two weeks before they announced the cancellation of the Fiero program. My dumb ass.)
Last time I ran a Carfax, it was somewhere in TN, I think.

Next Fiero was a red 88 coupe I purchased in 97.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-25-2018).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2018 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To reply to sricka01, Although there were rumors about improvements, most of the road tests in magazines were pretty good in 1985; R&T and Motor Trend both raved about the new Fiero GT....Only Car & Driver was negative about the car- but most people back then knew that C&D was on an Anti-American kick at the time; David E. Davis, Editor at the time, actually complained about the bias of his own magazine as related to the Lincoln Mark VII...He liked the car but his own reviewers were extremely harsh on the Mark VII.

The only really good Fiero road test after 1985 was Peter Egan's review of a 1987 GT in the R&T "Sports and GT special edition" He basically rated the car very highly...But he is a British sports car nut. Anyone wanting to see why GM did not rush the improvements into production should read the 85 MT and R&T GT road tests- You would think this was almost a perfect car...It is not, but it also is not the 3 wheeled turd that C&D portrayed it as......

I have now converted my 1985 SE V6 to 88 rear subframe/Suspension, and can attest to the improvement......Noticeably better ride and more stable handling. i would suggest that the front suspension is better also, but it is not the huge difference that the rear is........(And a big problem with the 88 front is the availability/durability of replacement sealed bearing hubs)
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2018 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am the original owner of an 85 2M6 SE with 45k miles.

I remember the dealer had 50 Fieros and only 4 V6 models. I chose the SE with the most options in anything but red. Most people had red back then.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2018 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about other states, but I noticed that the 85 SE Fieros were an interesting window into human nature.......The most common color for 1985 V6 SEs was white, followed by black.....I only ever saw one silver (85) SE V6(But silver was a rare color for 1985)........But almost NEVER any Red 1985 SE V6s......The reason; The people who buy V6s are interested in ACTUAL performance, and like white because the car is cooler (Temp wise) and easier to keep clean, and also does not attract cops......The people who would buy Red 85 SE Fieros haven't the foggiest idea about anything but, "Hey! Look at me! I look like Magnum PI!!!"

I know some will be upset about this observation- Not completely, 100% correct across the spectrum, but it is a (Basically) valid observation.....

And......Urrrrrrr.....I actually watched Magnum PI on Saturdays and then went out cruising in my White SE V6 (At least I did not grow a mustache! (Mainly because I could not (and STILL) can't!)
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2018 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I don't know about other states, but I noticed that the 85 SE Fieros were an interesting window into human nature.......The most common color for 1985 V6 SEs was white, followed by black.....I only ever saw one silver (85) SE V6(But silver was a rare color for 1985)........But almost NEVER any Red 1985 SE V6s......The reason; The people who buy V6s are interested in ACTUAL performance, and like white because the car is cooler (Temp wise) and easier to keep clean, and also does not attract cops......The people who would buy Red 85 SE Fieros haven't the foggiest idea about anything but, "Hey! Look at me! I look like Magnum PI!!!"

I know some will be upset about this observation- Not completely, 100% correct across the spectrum, but it is a (Basically) valid observation.....

And......Urrrrrrr.....I actually watched Magnum PI on Saturdays and then went out cruising in my White SE V6 (At least I did not grow a mustache! (Mainly because I could not (and STILL) can't!)

You may be true for some but I believe you over thought this a bunch.

There were some things in play in 1985. I bought mine new so I faced them .

Many bought what cars they could find as Fieros generally were scarce the first two years. Most people did not want to wait to order one so the got what they could find.

Second there was a truck strike that year. The reason my dealer had 50 Fieros was they went to Canada and purchased any unsold ones the could. They drove them down from Toranto.

Then there was also folks like me that was going to make use of the aftermarket. I could have bought one of two GTs at the dealer for a good bit more with the same options. But I was wanting to do my own ground fix and add on bits that were very common back then. I still have them on the car. To me it was a blank canvas.

And then there is a very small percentage that wants the performance and the plain wrapper.. all makes have a small number of these but it is small.

A good example is in the muscle car magazine now out. A guy fought wit Ointiav for a 455 SD Formula with no spoiler. He got it but there is only one.

The most common SE buyer though was the guy who walked in and was going to buy a 4 and found the dealer with a V6 that he still could afford as the dealers would work on price up to $2k less than a GT or more.

That is what I saw back in the day here in the mid west.

I had.a stash and black car before Earnhardt had either and anyone heard of T Magnum. I. Still catch reruns today along with Rockford files.

I got a kick out of Higgins. Hillerman really played the part well.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2018 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to admit that I ordered mine from the factory the way I wanted it; V6, manual, WS6 suspension, and the 2nd level stereo (Without the push-button volume- blech!) But no A/C or power anything...My V6 weighed 2580 with a full tank....

As far as Magnum, PI; Originally, it was going to be a rich, handsome guy running around Hawaii in a fancy car, getting all the girls...Tom Selleck said "No way!, I don't want to play that kind of guy...I want to play a guy who makes mistakes, and sometimes looks silly...People can relate to that kind of guy!"

I was sick, stuck at home, with nothing to watch....Started watching an episode- He did his "When I write my book about being a PI...." where what he says actually goes completely wrong ....and I was hooked.

I can relate to a guy that is a bit inept and makes mistakes...Not that I make many mistakes (Wait....why is there smoke coming out of my garage...?)
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have to admit that I ordered mine from the factory the way I wanted it; V6, manual, WS6 suspension, and the 2nd level stereo (Without the push-button volume- blech!) But no A/C or power anything...My V6 weighed 2580 with a full tank....

As far as Magnum, PI; Originally, it was going to be a rich, handsome guy running around Hawaii in a fancy car, getting all the girls...Tom Selleck said "No way!, I don't want to play that kind of guy...I want to play a guy who makes mistakes, and sometimes looks silly...People can relate to that kind of guy!"

I was sick, stuck at home, with nothing to watch....Started watching an episode- He did his "When I write my book about being a PI...." where what he says actually goes completely wrong ....and I was hooked.

I can relate to a guy that is a bit inept and makes mistakes...Not that I make many mistakes (Wait....why is there smoke coming out of my garage...?)

The thing with the 2M6 back in the day is few people knew it was even offered. I still get people today thinking I put the V6 in.

I got the air and in mine and to be honest the weight savings is nominal.

As for Magnum. Watch for the Rockford Files Lance White episode. That is the origins of Magnum. He was a PI that dressed in white, drove a white Cadillac and always got the credit for solving the crime along with the girl all while being the all around nice guy.

Jim liked him and disposed him all at once. Selling appeared twice on Rockford as Lance White.

When Selick got the Magnum job he said he would only do it like it turned out. He loved Jim Rockford and wanted to make it Jim in Hawaii.

Also most of the cast also were on Rockford File over the years.

They tried to get a Jim Garner to be on Magnum as a guest but they could not get the legal stuff worked out.

They did get Rockford creator and writer Stephan J Cannel to appear on Magnum. He made an appearances in on episode. There was a friendship between the Glen Larson production group and Cannel.

Now if you want to go even farther the Rockford Files was created based on and by the Creator of the 50’s and 60’s tv show Maverick.

They just changed Jims part from a western gambler to a modern PI.

You woul love Jim Firebird. They originally wanted to use a TA but Garner said a PI would not be able to afford a TA so Pintiac gave them base Firebirds with nothing but WS6 packages and a 400 V8. The show has a series of cars each year and most survived. They were painted a custom brown to show on TV better. Garner often drove them jim home as well as Rockys custom GMC truck.

Jim was a real car guy and racer. He raced in many series when he could and even owned several Chevy racing teams. He owned the. Chevy Lola that finished second at Daytona 24.

He also did all his driving in the movies Grand Prix. If you have not seen the movie it is the best racing move ever made bar none. Much had to to with Garner and John Frankenheimers efforts to get it right.

Bob Bondurant Worked with Garner in his driving and said if he had wanted too would have made a competitive F1 driver. I believe he did go on to F5000 in limited races. He had to watch as the studios really refused to,let him race due to insurance.

Interesting story. The book on Magnum was written by Larry Manettti who played Rick. There are also several on Garner and one just to his racing.

I met Garner twice at races. He was much like Rockford modest and friendly but far from struggling living in a trailer.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

My Blue 87 GT has had one owner, he's a nice guy, if I do say myself. lol
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Hyper.....I really enjoyed Rockford.....Jim reminds me of my father.....And my Father drove sportscars before a certain baby came along and ruined all the fun for him......He owned a Jowett Jupiter (You think british cars are a little weird......British cars don't like to talk about the Jupiter (But it won 3 times at Le Mans in it's class)

Trivia; Look up "Rockford turn"....they had to come up with a maneuver with Jim's car and Garner said "Hey, I think I got something" and did the reverse spin to forward...Now known as the Rockford Turn....

And yes, I have seen the Lance White episodes......Rockford would get steamed at Lance because he never even mused his hair.....
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Hyper.....I really enjoyed Rockford.....Jim reminds me of my father.....And my Father drove sportscars before a certain baby came along and ruined all the fun for him......He owned a Jowett Jupiter (You think british cars are a little weird......British cars don't like to talk about the Jupiter (But it won 3 times at Le Mans in it's class)

Trivia; Look up "Rockford turn"....they had to come up with a maneuver with Jim's car and Garner said "Hey, I think I got something" and did the reverse spin to forward...Now known as the Rockford Turn....

And yes, I have seen the Lance White episodes......Rockford would get steamed at Lance because he never even mused his hair.....

The Rockford is something many of us learned in high school.

It really was around for years and was originally called a j turn or bootleg turn since it was perfected by moonshine runners back in the day.

Here is the deep trivia. Curtis Turner the stock car racer and millionaire logger was one of the best shine runners before he went racing. He also taught driving. He trained a James Garner in car control including the bootleg turn in the parking lot back of Charlotte motor speedway.

It was later he used it in the show and the term a Rockford was coined. Jim did most of the driving on the show.

One note on Curtis Turner. They should do a movie on his exploits. He was the real life x rated version of Stroker Ace.

In fact if you watch the one Cannonball Run movie. Burt and Dom land a plane on a main st in a small town to get more beer. They went under the wires etc.

Curtis did this very thing back in the day and it was a true story. He always was having a party as he would say.

The things he did many today would have a hard time believing someone did.

Sadly he flew into a mountain and was killed. He was know to set the auto pilot and sleep in the back leaving non pilots at the controls.

Harold James Kie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2018 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 86 GT 5speed brand new from Salta Pontiac in Long Beach, Ca and even though I now live in Idaho I still own and occasionally drive it. It has right at 50k miles on it as it sets in the garage. I had all new carpeting installed when it was just a few weeks old and the deep pile nylon still looks new. Over the years I made several suspension mods and even toyed with the idea of putting an IMSA wide body on it but I just can't seem to decide on it. I also have a Solstice GXP that I bought new along with several other vehicles, one being a 1990 454 SS pick up truck. I keep the Fiero super clean, even the underside.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock